wanted Canadian seed train P.R.O.J.E.C.T. ROUND 4 (looking for more members)

Shandley said:
I have 3. All others died. I have no clue what is going on around this area but we are all having a hard time this year. Stunted growth, very low production of fruit.... no real rhyme or reason as soil checks out fine. Maybe next year.
Next year sowe plenty more than you need, just in case!

My primo I took from the train are just small :/. I don't know what happened as they had the same exact treatment as the others.....

I usually germinate 15 of each strain (6 this year), I almost always get 100% germination, and usually all come up. This year, they all came up but nothing more. I have 12 plants that are seedlings with true leaves but that's it.

2 made it true. 1 from last year. :( Sad year.

On my end it's a total disaster, new house,  guess i didn't put the right soil mix. All the plants stopped growing and no peppers... then half of them died. I still have a lot to learn!

marclocas said:
How is everybody? ;)

Things in my first grow are going well! I finally transferred all my plants outdoors, and they are loving the sun!

I will have open-pollinated seeds for Prik Chi Faa, Mulato, Black Pearl, Aji Limon, and Carolina Reaper ... only ones that are not doing well are the Datils. Lots of small pods on tiny little plants that do not want to grow. We will see how they ripen!

I'll also have some purchased seeds that I did not have room to grow this season! (Bhuts and White Habs)

Hope everyone's plants are happy!

Plants are ok here in alberta, giving me some peppers so far. Got seedlings for my winter grow going right now, but hit a snag with 3/4 of them. They have developed some kind of fungus ?  blackish dots on the leaves been told it's from over watering ?  who knows .... i'm letting them be see what happens on their own. Meanwhile im sowing more seeds incase they die. 

my plants are starting to produce, i was hoping to add some seeds from them but they are open air pollinated and there is 9 different types side by side 
but instead all the seeds im adding to the train i have gotten from judy (pepperlover.com) or a few trusted members on here. 

magicpepper said:
my plants are starting to produce, i was hoping to add some seeds from them but they are open air pollinated and there is 9 different types side by side 
but instead all the seeds im adding to the train i have gotten from judy (pepperlover.com) or a few trusted members on here. 

I think most of the seed is OP, no biggy man.

Page 1 has all the info on how it works.

Usually, we get moving after our end of the season seed drying and testing.

It's usually a full round trip hitting everyone along the way.

What else would you like to know?

Hello all!
Glad to see a lot of the previous trains members still here and WOW...many new ones to join up!
As for me & mine, well the weather up here in Moosonee has not been good for growing. Though I have had almost 100% germination rate with all but one variety. Though the plants are stunted, they are producing a lot of flowers now. So hopefully with the prediction that the weather will be sunny and hot for the most part of August-September, I will get a good crop.
Though I think at this time I will pass on the train for the Autumn run. I all comes down to IF I get any viable seeds from my plants, first I need to see some pods though!!!!!
Talk soon,
Mark

AaronB said:
Just thought I'd post this here.. Canadian Tire has dehydrators on for 45% off this week. Picked one up myself, only $35. Wicked deal..

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dehydrator-with-thermo-on-off-switch-0430656p.html#.U_vlBGPN12o

Well crap.. I just doled out my cash on PepperLover.. I'm gonna need a dehydrator soon. Nice find, though :)

** UPDATE: I stopped in at the local Canadian Tire today and they were all out of the dehydrators, BUT it is in their system and was still marked as being on sale so they gave me a raincheck. Now I just gotta remember to hold onto the cash for when they have it in stock again. lol

It's been a late maturing season for my pods, too.  I'm in St.Catharines, ON.  About 90% of my pods are still green.  But, I have been able to harvest about 100 or so pods so far, including these Aji Colorado's (thanks to Penny...got the seeds from her via this train)!  I think I'll add them to my sauce-making effort as a nice flavour contribution. Also, my phenotype JMoA Yellow Scotch Bonnet plants are finally starting to yield some nice yellow pods!  These ones are my best pods when it comes to balance of flavour and heat.
IMG_20140920_103856_zpshozjn2sq.jpg
IMG_20140920_103815_zpszpoxllnr.jpg

Here's an identification request to you all (turns out that my "indelible" ink ain't so indelible).  Got the seeds from train 3 (last fall).  Pretty sure they're a 7-pot, but they're huge!  Didn't think they grew this big.  They are O.P., but immediately surrounded by other 7-pots, in a garden consisting of a multitude of varieties.
Waddya think?  Thanks all.
IMG_20140920_102023_zpsd565898a.jpg

Ambiotic said:
Just picked one up.  Still on sale.  Thanks for the tip, Aaron.
Hello ALL!
So, In London ATM and just visited the "XSCargo" store today...
They have been bought out by another company so have to sell everything!
There were DEHYDRATORS there for under $30 (I believe), but are reduced another 10%-30% on top of that! I picked one up earlier this summer while visiting.
For those who live near or close to an "XSCargo", and need a dehydrator. Good buy...

http://www.shopxscargo.com/

http://www.shopxscargo.com/product_catalogue/cat_product_list.asp?sub_category_1_id=4&sub_category_2_id=20&category_id=1&category=Kitchen+Appliances&category2=Food+Dehydrator

They seem to be all over Canada (sorry, not in Quebec it seems).

Anyway, just a quick catch-up on my growing...
Seems most of my plants flowered HEAVILY but late (For Moosonee). Have had a very small harvest, but nothing really I can do. I am gonna build a more permenant greenhouse for all seasons (may take a couple of years to achieve). For now, as long as I can extend the season from maybe 1 "good" month to 4-6, I will be VERY happy!
Been researching Passive Solar heating and there are some really inexpensive, but VERY effective ways to heat a greenhouse all year long. Even as far north as Moosonee.
The two I am concentrating on are the "Pop can Solar Heater" (Youtube it...WOW!) The other is to use water cans/jugs (most people use metal drums), the water absorbs heat during the day and releases it slowly through the night, keeps a constant temperature.
Though researching as much as possible, my finished greenhouse should be a "lean-To" type and 20' x 10' x 10'(upper top)-8' lowr top). Lots to do between now and next grow season!
Talk soon!
Mark

for me, the season ended Thursday, there was a severe frost on the ground. 
Several species have not had the time to mature. 

I think next year I will build a geodesic greenhouse to extend my growing season

Here, we did have afrost but the plants seems fine yet. Yep, many many pods still green on plant :/. I leave them there untill a real frost threat, so the seeds have time to mature as much as possible. Pretty goog yield tho, compare to last year.

Start to dry your seeds, I have the strange feeling that this train will be leaving early this year ;).
z

Ambiotic said:
Just picked one up.  Still on sale.  Thanks for the tip, Aaron.
Do they work good?

marclocas said:
Here, we did have afrost but the plants seems fine yet. Yep, many many pods still green on plant :/. I leave them there untill a real frost threat, so the seeds have time to mature as much as possible. Pretty goog yield tho, compare to last year.

Start to dry your seeds, I have the strange feeling that this train will be leaving early this year ;).

z

Do they work good?
I'm drying mine at 105F for 3.5 days.  I have read that the seeds can handle that temperature, and the flavour, colour, and heat are best preserved, when compared to using a higher temperature for a shorter period of time.  This particular model is quite good.  First of all, 35.00 is a great price, but the features are attractive, as well: five trays, precise temp control (95 to 160) I tested it as being accurate), herb dryer, fruit rollup tray, as well.  The fan is fairly quiet and does a great job ensuring the temperature is uniform throughout.  Loving the aroma in the room!
Thanks again to Aaron for providing the CT link!
floricole said:

for me, the season ended Thursday, there was a severe frost on the ground. 
Several species have not had the time to mature. 

I think next year I will build a geodesic greenhouse to extend my growing season

I think the CDN gov should go ahead and take on that Caribbean island as a new province.  I bet they have great growing conditions there!

Back