wanted Canadian seed train P.R.O.J.E.C.T. ROUND 4 (looking for more members)

Pumpkin seeds are named (weight of the pumpkin)-(last name of grower)-(year it was grown)
example 1180 Matesa 2011

I also put some giant tomato (4.15lb)/tall sunflower (18.5 feet)/giant watermelon (116lb) in the ziploc.
All of my seeds from this years harvests are not ready. They can go in round #2 if anyone is interested.

My giant tomato plants are actually smaller than "normal" They seldom get over 5 feet and are aggresively pruned.
Aggressive pruning directs energy and nutrients and water to the pepper/vegetable instead of the plant.

I pruned my pepper plants once they got to a decent size and then pepper production really took off.

Take a look at this video/article from this passed weekends paper

http://www.therecord.com/videozone/816610--the-great-pumpkin

http://www.therecord.com/news/local/article/816875--the-great-pumpkin-grower

LMAO!
WOW, sounds like a jungle tomatoe plant...
But seriously, with tomatoes as large as J-D-Farmer's (3.5lbs), think of the size of the plant that must have'em. At least in my imagination, I see a TREE not a 5' tomatoe plant!
Mark

My big ones were "belgium giants" averaged 3 lbs. The plant stretched about 15 feet.

Mon DIEUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just watched the VIDs...
Dang man, that was quite some growing you got going there J-D-Farmer!
Was reading about your cultivation techniques, not sure if you have read this thread in the "Growing Hot Peppers" forum:
Beginner's guide to AACT/Compost Tea

But seems that you are doing things similar to what is sugested and done in this thread...
Wonderful growth J-D.
And I do HOPE you will put some seeds in for the next round.
Mark

Pumpkin seeds are named (weight of the pumpkin)-(last name of grower)-(year it was grown)
example 1180 Matesa 2011

I also put some giant tomato (4.15lb)/tall sunflower (18.5 feet)/giant watermelon (116lb) in the ziploc.
All of my seeds from this years harvests are not ready. They can go in round #2 if anyone is interested.

My giant tomato plants are actually smaller than "normal" They seldom get over 5 feet and are aggresively pruned.
Aggressive pruning directs energy and nutrients and water to the pepper/vegetable instead of the plant.

I pruned my pepper plants once they got to a decent size and then pepper production really took off.

Take a look at this video/article from this passed weekends paper

http://www.therecord...e-great-pumpkin

http://www.therecord...-pumpkin-grower

VERY VERY Impressive! Keep up the good work! You will have to give me some hints for next year! I tried to grow regular pumpkink this year for the first time and I did'nt get any!
One word : WOW!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just received the parcel! WOW guys! We manage to at least triple the amount of seeds available!!!!

I'm very proud of all of you guys. It took 2 months and 2 days for the train to do all stops! This is amazing!

How was your experience? Anything you would like to improve? Any ideas, suggestions, insults?

When are you all starting your seeds for next summer?

Round 2?

Sweet!

I'd like to see some of the older seeds (2009 and less) removed. I have had less than 30% of my 4 years+ seeds germinate (mind you I am new to this).

I wouldn't mind seeing some more super hots if anyone's got em. That's what I was really hoping for this round.

Anyways, the trip was amazing! I have such a grand collection now and I cannot wait to start. I know I do not have enough room as it is to grow everything but still, I'm thrilled! When do you want to do round 2? I am thinking before the Christmas rush of parcels. I'm thinking very December or even late November. What do you think?

Hello all!
I am happy whenever ya'll wanna start it up again.
Though I won't be taking many this round (but you never know... ;) ).
As to when I am sarting my seeds...
Well, actually tonight!
I want to do 1 seed of twelve different peppers. This way, when it germinates, I do not have a whole bunch of access sprouts.
That I do not want...
My plan is to grow these twelve peppers and then clone them down, eventually having about 4-6 of each plant.
They will be ready to go out ASAP (after the last frost up here in Moosonee, whenever that happens!!!! :shocked:
I have started a grow log and will try to get the pics up with explanations on what I am doing.

Mark

...OH YAH...
Never done a "Seed Train" before, but I think it went pretty well!
Just have to make sure EVERYONE is paying the same amount for shipping/handling (+/- $2). That is my only issue, and THANK YOU ALL (and once again quvbsite) for your contributions on making this happen!!!!!!
:party: :party: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :party: :party:

I really enjoyed the train :P
As others said it would be cool to see more super hot if anyone have spare seeds haha :P but the selection was really awesome!
Thank you everyone for this awesome train experience :P
I'm gonna start my germination after christmas or when I'll be finished moving back to my parents haha
I can't wait to start the season :D
oh! and allaKAZAAM what thechnique do you use to clone your plants? everytime I tried it failed haha and I don't have a lot of seed so not a lot of plants will be at my disposition to try my experiments mouhaha do you have any tips on the subject?
Thanks
Sunshine

Sweet!

I'd like to see some of the older seeds (2009 and less) removed. I have had less than 30% of my 4 years+ seeds germinate (mind you I am new to this).

I wouldn't mind seeing some more super hots if anyone's got em. That's what I was really hoping for this round.

Anyways, the trip was amazing! I have such a grand collection now and I cannot wait to start. I know I do not have enough room as it is to grow everything but still, I'm thrilled! When do you want to do round 2? I am thinking before the Christmas rush of parcels. I'm thinking very December or even late November. What do you think?

Yep good idea to start before Xmas. But anyways, depending on how many people join in for round 2, the whole trip should take about 2 months anyways..... We should remove the older seeds? I agree that the germination rate should be pretty low for the 2009 ones but did you see how many varieties there was (100+) ? If you want, I will remove them but I think that they are a good asset.

Hello all!
I am happy whenever ya'll wanna start it up again.
Though I won't be taking many this round (but you never know... ;) ).
As to when I am sarting my seeds...
Well, actually tonight!
I want to do 1 seed of twelve different peppers. This way, when it germinates, I do not have a whole bunch of access sprouts.
That I do not want...
My plan is to grow these twelve peppers and then clone them down, eventually having about 4-6 of each plant.
They will be ready to go out ASAP (after the last frost up here in Moosonee, whenever that happens!!!! :shocked:
I have started a grow log and will try to get the pics up with explanations on what I am doing.

Mark

...OH YAH...
Never done a "Seed Train" before, but I think it went pretty well!
Just have to make sure EVERYONE is paying the same amount for shipping/handling (+/- $2). That is my only issue, and THANK YOU ALL (and once again quvbsite) for your contributions on making this happen!!!!!!
:party: :party: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :party: :party:

Yes, with the new route that Shandley suggested, this should be more equal for everybody. And yeah! How do you clone your plants?

I really enjoyed the train
As others said it would be cool to see more super hot if anyone have spare seeds haha but the selection was really awesome!
Thank you everyone for this awesome train experience
I'm gonna start my germination after christmas or when I'll be finished moving back to my parents haha
I can't wait to start the season :D
oh! and allaKAZAAM what thechnique do you use to clone your plants? everytime I tried it failed haha and I don't have a lot of seed so not a lot of plants will be at my disposition to try my experiments mouhaha do you have any tips on the subject?
Thanks
Sunshine

Yeah, I wish there were more superhots too but hey, it's ''free'' I will make sure to put a shitload of Bhut Jolokia for round 2.... As for the other superhots, I don't have a lot but I guess I can put as much as I possibly can .

I am starting to plan round 2 soon and get it ready for mid-october or maybe later depending on the demand from new members. Sounds any good?

I am starting to plan round 2 soon and get it ready for mid-october or maybe later depending on the demand from new members. Sounds any good? And John-D-Farmer included some giant tomato/watermelons/pumpkin seeds. Should we run a mini-seed train with just the giant seeds, with the route Shandley provided by regular mail?

I do not think anyone would be adding to the Giants. I say throw them in with the rest and PEOPLE, do not take all. It needs to last the whole train ride.

I do not think anyone would be adding to the Giants. I say throw them in with the rest and PEOPLE, do not take all. It needs to last the whole train ride.

I did take 1 seed of pumpkin, 2 of tomatoes and 2 watermelons. There are not a lot of theese so yep, people, take the minimum and leave some for the rest.

Hi Guys!

I did want to mention that this is the chili seed train and I didnt want to take away from that.

So, If any one is interested in seeds from any giant veggies, send me a PM and we can make some arrangements. I still have to get the seeds from my 1313Lb pumpkin and my 145lb watermelon from this year as well as some tomato seeds.

I did add a nice amount of chili seeds as well as my "Giant" Trinidad Scorpians and "Giant" 7pots...lol Enjoy the seeds I cant wait for next year already!

bth_064_zpsce057580.jpg

Thanks
Sunshine
Hey'yah Sunshine!
I will also post this on my GLOG too!
Okay. since it is a lot to say and do, when it comes to cloning plants. I decided to look over the YouTube vids on this matter.
Here is a link to pretty much exactly what I do when I clone a plant (unless it is a specific species of Orchid that I used to grow....different ways to clone those buggers!). This guy has also cloned Pepper plants as you will see near the end of the vid.
I am a bit more cautious on the disenfecting part, but that is up to the individual (like I just said, certain Orchids are REALLY crazy when you want to clone them!!).
Hope this helps out!

Mark

+1. I've used this method and it works for most of it. Remember to let them root for a really long time. I usually take my plants out of the 'hothouse' and take a time laps video and see how much it droops within 10-15 minutes. If it's too fast, I keep it in the hothouse to retain the humidity for a week or two longer.

Back