• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

Tybo said:
Nice looking OW's there CD!

I like the Annum list too.  When I saw Shishito's on there, I realized that I forgot those this year.  We enjoyed them so much last year, I can't believe I forgot them.  Let's see........wait........there's still time!

Thanks, Tybo!  And there'd better be, because I only just started mine!  :)

Edited for grammar and

Fantastic looking shtuff, sir!

I'm about to do annuums and maters.

For wild seeds, I'm waiting on germination from:

Wild Galapagoense (Pepper_Guru)
C. Rhomboidium (Pepper_Guru)
Peach Frutescens--Amazonia (C. Phillips)
Cumari O'Passarinho (Fiogga)
Not wild, but small:
Tepin Cappuccino (CaneDog)
CGN 22184--Peach Frutescens (C. Phillips)

Excited about them all!!!
Different sources of O'Passarinho
https://www.ethno2.ethno-botanik.org/Capsicum/Cumari-ou-Passarinho/Fotos/Fotos-en.html

http://pimentasebagas.blogspot.com/2013/11/a-cumari-o-passarinho-capsicum-chinense.html

https://www.seeds-gallery.shop/fr/accueil/graines-de-piments-cumari-o-passarinho-capsicum-chinense.html

Nice OW's. I'm not much of a poster anymore but I know you grow a few of the things I like. That C.tovarii will be productive for you.

P.S. I see you are growing the C.flexuosum that has the anthocyanin on the flowers. It only did that inside my growroom oddly enough. Not even late in the season when it typically happens with that and other species.

P.S. I took alittle trip and saw a red flowered variant in the wild. It still had yellow spots but dominated by the red. Pretty cool. Here are a couple junky cell shots but you can get an idea.
20200228_122934.jpg
20200325_201450.jpg

Pr0digal_son said:
Nice OW's. I'm not much of a poster anymore but I know you grow a few of the things I like. That C.tovarii will be productive for you.

P.S. I see you are growing the C.flexuosum that has the anthocyanin on the flowers. It only did that inside my growroom oddly enough. Not even late in the season when it typically happens with that and other species.

P.S. I took alittle trip and saw a red flowered variant in the wild. It still had yellow spots but dominated by the red. Pretty cool. Here are a couple junky cell shots but you can get an idea.

Thanks for stopping by and for the pictures and good words.   I'm looking forward to the Tovarii producing better this season.  Despite a very early start and big plants with extensive flowering and pollen production, set was merely 10-12 pods.  I've been told to expect better production in year 2 and hope that will prove out.

I saw a range of concentration of anthocyanin in the flexuosum flowers among plants.  The larger OW was considerably darker than the rest.  Below are a few pictures of it from October last year with flowers that formed fully outdoors. The use of flash makes it appear somewhat more purple than to the naked eye, but it was quite purple. And noticeably more so in the cool temperatures early and late in the season.

Even from a cell phone those are super cool pictures. The red corolla variant has a remarkable flower and the leaves in your second picture definitely say "flexuosum."  By "little trip" I'm thinking SE Brazil.  It would be amazingly cool to hike around those areas and see some of the rarer wild peppers in their native habitat.

Bookers said:
Nice plant!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nature does a pretty good job growing them, doesn't it?

Oct 2018 2019 purple flex pics
post-3588-0-73345200-1571792389_thumb.jpg

post-3588-0-48481900-1571792407_thumb.jpg

post-3588-0-87150500-1571792859_thumb.jpg

I have had C.tovarii produce well first and second year,but always produce well. There are a lot of folks who have more success year two. That plant will do well.

Yes,I was in S.E. Brazil for a bit. Found 7 species and numerous variations of certain ones. I'm a fan of Bolivian species but it was a nice getaway.

Thanks!  I'm super happy to see how well they've rebounded after a bumpy start with the trial media.  I dug out the rest of my Purple Thunder's to take some pics of PaulG's cross for his thread - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/72132-purple-thunder-bhut-jolokia-x-pdn-x-bonda-ma-jacques/?p=1676066 - and snapped some shots of these guys while doing so.

Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno is flowering and setting well. I like the purple & white flowers on these. Hope the pods are good!
20200326 JZxPJF.jpg

20200326 JZxPJFs.jpg

Thai Spaz (Mr. Spezzano's Thai) is getting ready to produce
20200326 ThaiSpaz.jpg

Piri Piri
20200326 PiriPiri.jpg

Lemon Spice Jalapeno
20200326 LemonSpice.jpg

Murupi is getting ready to produce.  Seems very early for a chinense - but I'm not complaining!
20200326 MurupiLED.jpg

And the Peach Bhut SS, which was started late, is making up ground.
20200326 PBSS1.jpg

I was very excited to see this guy start to hook yesterday and today that he's come up clean.  3 seeds for 32 days in rockwool and I finally got a peep from them.  I know how long some of these wilds can take, and 32 day's ain't that long, but at times I'll still wonder if anything's happening or I'm just waiting on nothing.  :)

Wild Baccatum - 'Fragilis' - CTB you are THE man!  Can't thank you enough for the cool things you've sent me.
20200326 Fragilus.jpg

Pr0digal_son said:
I have had C.tovarii produce well first and second year,but always produce well. There are a lot of folks who have more success year two. That plant will do well.

Yes,I was in S.E. Brazil for a bit. Found 7 species and numerous variations of certain ones. I'm a fan of Bolivian species but it was a nice getaway.
You should have a glog with those pictures  :P  I know I would love too see them!

CaneDog said:
I was very excited to see this guy start to hook yesterday and today that he's come up clean.  3 seeds for 32 days in rockwool and I finally got a peep from them.  I know how long some of these wilds can take, and 32 day's ain't that long, but at times I'll still wonder if anything's happening or I'm just waiting on nothing.  :)

Wild Baccatum - 'Fragilis' - CTB you are THE man!  Can't thank you enough for the cool things you've sent me.

Very cool CD! I like your jalapeño cross, extremely pretty flowers. So many great quality pictures and wilds, great content! (as always). 

Mildfruit said:
You should have a glog with those pictures  :P  I know I would love too see them!

Very cool CD! I like your jalapeño cross, extremely pretty flowers. So many great quality pictures and wilds, great content! (as always). 

I've seen many of Pr0digal's pics posted in various threads on THP and the quality of the photographs and the uncommon varieties are something special.

And thanks, I'm happily surprised with the way the F1 turned out.  If the pods are good and I can get the flower appearance to stick I would consider it a big win.  I think I mentioned, but I started a couple of your Giallo ahead of my main annuum grow and they are extremely vigorous. I'll need to get pics up soon, before they get too big!

PtMD989 said:
All those plants look great and healthy [emoji106][emoji16]. Cool flower pics also [emoji106][emoji16]. Be safe

Thanks man - and back at ya!

By the way, the first of my annuum popped.  Want to guess what it was?  ;)

Haskorea.  On the left.  5 hooks already!  I think I planted 5 or 6 of these, so not only fast but solid numbers!

And on the right San Pedro Orange Rocoto.  I had only 3 seeds left so I'm very happy to see this.

20200326_132342.jpg

A couple shots of my bigger Mutant Candlelight...
2020-03-26 Mutant.jpg

2020-03-26 MutantCU.jpg

And the Eximium CAP 1491 x USDA Cardenasii I recently topped and put on the "lat" development program.  I've been running it quite close to the LED's and the effect shows on the upper leaves, but it is getting bushy.  I plan to top it a second time today, then I'll back it off and let it grow happy.
20200326 1491xUSDACard.jpg

Back