• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2022 Glog

Happy 2022 everyone and good luck with the new season. I suppose it's time to get the new glog going with it being the new year and all. I'll start off with some pics I took over the last couple weeks of plants in the indoor grow. Right now I have two tents with T5HO's for the indoor plants and the OW's about as far away as possible in the house under an HLG 100 4K.

Yaki Blue Fawn - I didn't grow this last year, but after seeing the success PaulG and Dragonsfire had with their Yakis recently I'm psyched to have one going again.
20211209 YakiBF.jpg

1 of 2 of Uncle E's Naga Smooky Rainbow x 7 Pot Yellow crosses from seeds he sent me.
SmookyXD.jpg

A couple Uchu Cream x Mutant, 1 filiform and 1 not. Seeds from Catchthebear AKA Matt's Peppers
Together
20211209 Uchus.jpg

and later, separated
2021-12-24 UchuXMutant F.jpg

2021-12-24 UchuXMutant NF.jpg

Mutant Gum (also from Matt)
20211209 MutantGum.jpg

Aji Guyana, which I topped for being a little too exuberant, but it's still wanting to stretch. This is my 3rd generation growing these from seeds Wiri sent me and they've been awesome and produce PDQ in the PNW for a baccatum.
2021-12-24 AjiGuyana.jpg

And Bahamian Goat - an old favorite I skipped last season and am looking forward to growing again.
20211209 BahaGoat.jpg

Last edited:
@CaneDog -
Very nice pix, CD. Maybe things will pick up
when the weather cools back down to the 80's!
Would be awesome to see fewer dropped flowers,
'podettes' and leaves around the plants :rolleyes: Would
it be too much to ask for a nice, extended Fall
season this year?

Looking forward to the December photo drop CD :-)
j/k, great photos as always. I was going to try an indoor grow of fragilis in the off season.
Haha. Yeah, no kidding. If we extrapolate my next update would be in my off-season/OW glog. I'll need to work on picking things up.

That's a great call with the fragilis with how slow they are. I'll probably start a fresh one too as soon as I get a few ripe pods - and finally rid the indoors of aphids. An off-season start then booted outside when the weather comes around should result in a big beautiful plant.
Very nice pix, CD. Maybe things will pick up when the weather cools back down to the 80's! Would be awesome to see fewer dropped flowers, 'podettes' and leaves around the plants :rolleyes: Would it be too much to ask for a nice, extended Fall season this year?
Thanks Paul! Seems like everyone in the PNW is wishing for that beautiful September we sometimes get. Sure could use it. Not only for the plants but for my sanity as well. Simply dropping a heat wave on us when summer finally arrives isn't the way to make up for it arriving so late.

@CaneDog - I know what you mean. The
crazy part is, it's so much better here, even
with this, than in some other places. I have
to remember to count my blessings, like our
new grandaughter 😊

The past few seasons, it is the harvesting in
October and November that has saved the
day in my backyard :D

Last edited:
@CaneDog - I know what you mean. The crazy part is, it's so much better here, even with this, than in some other places. I have to remember to count my blessings, like our new grandaughter 😊

The past few seasons, it is the harvesting in October and November that has saved the day in my backyard :D
Well, hey! Congratulations on your new granddaughter Mr. G! Perhaps you'll have a little helper in the garden in a few years.

Im glad you didn't forget the glog update! Nice with some progress on the fragilis, they sure take their time.
When you do plants in breeding cups, are they just for crossing? Or a way to get fresh seeds without wasting to much space?

Hey MF. I have to say I've really enjoyed checking in on your glog this season. The greenhouse seems like a real winner for you!

I was really happy to see the fragilis pods held despite our sudden hot weather. I'd have been sweating it if they'd dropped and I'd had to count on getting another round to set and ripen before the end of the season.

Mostly, I do the small pots to get true seeds and take up less space. Plus they seem to produce sooner if they don't get stepped up to bigger pots. Ideally, I'll leave them inside until they've set a round of pods without pollinator interference, then move them outside for the pods to grow and ripen. It's a lot easier than bagging them (and they seem to set more dependably than bagging) and easy on space. This season has been a challenging one and I have a large number in solo cups that I couldn't get transplanted into the community garden plots. This way I'll get a few pods and replenish seed stock from those. It works for crossing too, but bigger plants often seems to mean longer flowering windows making it easier to get flowering overlap between intended parents.

This rocoto is one I'm particularly interested in getting pods on, but it's been reluctant to set. During our recent high heat I moved it to a well shaded area and as soon as the temps dropped again it got busy.

20220806 MWROCcu.jpg

20220806 MWROC1.jpg

Mutant is living up to its name.
20220806 Mutant.jpg

Nice pheno on this Antep Aci Dolma from Stettoman's seeds. Doing its best still in a solo cup.
20220806 StettoAAD.jpg

One of a few thai crosses this season. It's not as productive as the parent F2 F1, which produced in loads, but it has the upright pods and they're a bit larger. Hopefully they're tasty with a good kick, as well.
20220806 ThaiX1.jpg

Last edited:
Yea I need to grow pubescents again next year, what a beautiful flower! What's the particular reason for the interest in that rocoto? Is it for eating, or are you more interested in its genes?

Are those perhaps the same Antep Aci Dolma seeds you once sent to me? That Antep Aci Dolma was incredible both in taste and size, like a hot bell pepper.

Yea I need to grow pubescents again next year, what a beautiful flower! What's the particular reason for the interest in that rocoto? Is it for eating, or are you more interested in its genes?

Are those perhaps the same Antep Aci Dolma seeds you once sent to me? That Antep Aci Dolma was incredible both in taste and size, like a hot bell pepper.

Yep, this AAD is from the same seeds I sent you. I've been trying to get a good batch of guaranteed true seeds from a great representative plant, as the seeds have consistently produced plants with tasty and well-pleated pods. Big thanks to @stettoman for those seeds! I've been wanting to experiment by hybridizing it with Tekne Dolmasi, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

As far as the rocoto, it's the genes. I have two plants and no remaining seeds, but the hope is for an ivory pod.

Snapped a few random shots of the deck peppers

Purple Flower "Baccatum"
20220812 PFB.jpg

Wild Baccatum 203
20220820 WildBacc203.jpg

Baccatum Fragilis
20220820 BaccFrag.jpg

Antep Aci Dolma, early ripening - ant's-eye view
20220820 AAD.jpg

Texas "Brown" Rice (F1). An unexpected cross from one of the Texas Rice seeds I grew out this season. Lots of little dagger-shaped pods, which I hope will taste-test favorably.
20220820 BrownRice.jpg

Mirasol Giadone Pueblo :)
20220820 MirasolGiadonePueblo.jpg

Mutant Gum
20220820 MutantGum.jpg

Last edited:
Back