• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn 2013 Less is more

Hello everybody!
This year I will be growing much less than previous season's. I have been reducing my pepper growing for a couple years now. I am germinating under 20 varieties and a month later than last year. I have between 25 and 28 overwintered plants that are out currently, but not to far from the back door. I think I put the first plants in the ground last year late Feb. and early Mar. I do not expect to exceed 50 to 75 new starts this season. Along with my daughter I am growing some veggies, herbs, flowers, and a few fruit trees. I will do my best to keep the grow log lively and entertaining. As always lots of pictures of plants and pods, but also some cool nature, and a few extra distractions from time to time.

Hope everyone has a great season!

Germinating:

All from saved seeds except store pods and Mini Mini from Finland THP member

Cumari do Para iso
Yellow 7 pod (Brain like)
Douglah cross F2 (small red uniform)
Chocolate Hab
Yellow Scorpion CARDI
7 Pot White
7 Pot Barrackpore
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Douglah cross F2 (red)
Quintisho
Douglah cross F3 (Brownish- maroon with bonnett-habish shape)
Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion iso
"Funky" orange habs from HEB
Manzano from Fiesta pods
Super Chilli
Trinidad Congo Red
Purple Flash
Smiter Q pequin like pods
Mini Mini

I will list my overwinters soon, can''t remember.

Here are some pics;
Germinating began Feb. 3rd. The three cells in the corner were all up on day 6. Douglah cross F2 small fat red pointy. I might post a pic from last year to show their shape. All my crosses are accidental nature.
IMG_0813-Copy_zpsd22c186d.jpg

Meyer Lemon bloom smells a lot like Jasmin
IMG_0810-Copy_zpsa5a1bae8.jpg

Coming out of hibernation, overwinters
IMG_0786_zpsa1c8e3dc.jpg

Found this guy in a Mountain Laurel by my driveway. Western Screech Owl I believe
02761fe0-3bfe-483a-9a65-57bc2922b900_zpsfb18433f.jpg

Owl be back!

Oh we just got 1.6, I know the news said Austin got a foot, and was worried as you're so close.

Glad everyone's OK!

Thanks for your concern Scott. I saw video of water runoff at Barton Springs pool in Austin. Pretty scary! Not sure how much they got. I think we had around 3 inches total yesterday. More in the forecast.

My daughter arrived at the conclusion that I could make her some pickles she dearly loves. Off to the store...I needed a cucumber for a ferment too.

Tepin ferment with cucumber, onion, garlic, carrots.

One of my crosses podding up

Aji Lima Rojo finally taking off. Not a whole lot of time left. 6 weeks maybe. Back porch ripening for sure.

Amarillo Chiltepin. Most of my plants are making pods the color of the pod on the right. This pod on the left is either more yellow-orangeish or is affected by the plants deficiency. will watch for more pods.

Green

Have a good day folks!

I love the ferment shots Mike. Keep em coming. The pickles are awesome. 

I had a plant produce orange pods it's very first round of pods. After that they were all red. 

It was a Butch T not. The plant showed no signs of nutrient deficiency. Still perplexed  :crazy:

Devv said:
Plants look mas healthy!

Wondering what tonight will bring weather wise!

We're slated for a high of 62° tomorrow.

Have a great week!
Thanks Scott!
Here's today's forecast Scott; I'm thinking of building a couple rain "plant poncho" tarps with snaps around the main stem for a couple plants that are pretty water logged already.
http://www.kxan.com/weather

romy6 said:
I love the ferment shots Mike. Keep em coming. The pickles are awesome. 

I had a plant produce orange pods it's very first round of pods. After that they were all red. 

It was a Butch T not. The plant showed no signs of nutrient deficiency. Still perplexed  :crazy:
Thanks Jamie!
I will probably post a pic of all of the ferments I got going now. I just ordered some more woozie's.

I've got a 7 pot Barrackpore that made a yellow pods this season. I will overwinter it just to see them again. Crazy stuff Jamie!

Have a great day guy's!

Mike they had us slated for floods today, last nights weather had flood warnings and watches.

LB made a comment, "they're talking to much about floods".

We got .3" today....gotta love it. Especially when the other day they had light rain forecast and Austin got 12" and Cotulla 10".

Nothing more frustrating than finishing a long post and then "Sorry that image extension is not allowed"  Just photobucket images! :tear:

I will try again!

Just wanted to say that this year was real fun because of a thread started by Rocketman and Chilimonsta about fermenting.  I did not grow a whole lot of interesting peppers this year trying to cut back from previous years obsessions only to submit to a new one. 

Wild Plums.  I usually make jam with plums and wild grapes, Tepins.  I'll have to see what I have hiding in the freezer.  This tree had much wider leaves than another tree I pull from.

THP is killing me today!

I've met some real nice new people here on THP this year which has been great.  Next season looks like I will be busy with lots of new varieties, crosses, and grow outs.  I've got an order of woozies on the way with a couple ferments ready to finish.

Have a great day!  Nothing like a full stomach to calm one's nerves.

I've seen that little saved button before but it did not help last time when I was trying to include an external link about bugs.  I got the images in, I'll add some text later!

Starving now.  Thanks Scott!

Everything's looking great here, Mike.  My one Amarillo Chiltepin grown from your seed has a lot of pods on it, but they aren't ripening yet.  They may have to finish inside.  It's in a pot, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Where do you get your woozies from?

Thanks John! Good to hear.

My first order was from Specialty Bottle. Their a little pricey though (3 cases $51 including shipping) I just ordered from Fillmore Container, (6 cases 120 lids + shipp $60). I also looked at Freund Container and Beth at Peppermainia also sells them.

Good day
Mike

This time was a little close Scott.  I had  4 inches of rain in my gage overnight.  I heard Round Rock got 7 though.  A house not so fortunate just 5 houses away had a large oak fall on their roof.  Ground was saturated.  The root ball seemed a little small to me, usually around 5 foot or so.  Looked like 3 feet maybe.  No harm to the people.  The foliage from the tree conceals whatever damage they might have.

Our local lakes have been way down for a long time but these rains need to happen north west of here to help the water supply.  I fear there will be even more watering restrictions next season.  Using the drip irrigation this season I used 1000 gallons  less per month than last season.  I keep barrels of water now for hand watering use.

Thanks for asking Scott

Mike

Glad all is OK at your house. Sorry about the neighbors home, Live Oak? They usually have massive root systems.

We got 1", and yes I worry about our water supply! We have a well, so far OK, but use it as little as possible...lawn? We don't have one any more. Medina lake, out closest lake is at 4.5%.

I'm hoping the rain is a trend, we are way over due. And you know Tejas, feast or famine..you also know what getting out of this will take, and it won't be pretty. Just hope people use their heads when it does come.

Have a great weekend!

I am sure that my neighbors think little of my declining yard.  There is no grass to speak of and it bothers me, but I just can't do much about it right now.  They know that I have considerable energy devoted to gardening though.  During germination they see the bright light on occasion in my garage and question "whats he doin' in there?".

John, I have seriously considered a bed in the front which gets much better morning sun.

I am behind on finishing ferments now.  My kids have their first invitational tournament for science olympiad next weekend in Houston.  We are not very prepared either.  My son is in 5 events, insanity... My daughter is just starting this year with Water Quality and Dynamic Planet (glaciers).

Later Mike

One of the bennies of living in the boonies is that you don't have to keep up with the neighbors. As John said lawns are overated, it would be really cool if the yard was dedicated to growing something useful.

Good luck with the science tournaments, it should be loads of fun.

Nearly, if not actual, end of season update.  Had to move some plants in a little over a week ago.  Moved them back out for one last warm week.  Got more than 4 inches of rain last night, so had to move in water logged plants lunchtime today for this cold front.  A week of mid to upper 30's forecast.  Maybe done! 

My 3 or 4 year old papaya's (inside for 2 days) actually popped out what appear to be begining blooms.  They did not progress when I moved them back out so maybe they are just wind intolerant.  Back in now and hopefully they will make.  Solo Sunrise variety.

Moved in 5 pepper plants.  An overwintered Aji Lima Rojo that has a fair amount of pods I want to make powder with.  Two F3 crosses that I am waiting for isolated pods to color up.  Will be germing. F4's soon.  Another cross that appeared to be a yellow Barrackpore for OW'ing. and a Quintisho.

Moved in the volunteer Avacado and Mango.  Passion Fruits, Meyer Lemons, and Stevia.

Halloween.  Twerk or Treat

Enjoying a relaxed very early germinating process!

Have a great weekend THP, Stay warm!

Mike

Glad you moved the babies inside, it's gonna be a cold few days!

4" of rain? I'm way jealous!

None here, just a misting and 38° out now.

Stay warm bro!

Back