• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn 2013 Less is more

Hello everybody!
This year I will be growing much less than previous season's. I have been reducing my pepper growing for a couple years now. I am germinating under 20 varieties and a month later than last year. I have between 25 and 28 overwintered plants that are out currently, but not to far from the back door. I think I put the first plants in the ground last year late Feb. and early Mar. I do not expect to exceed 50 to 75 new starts this season. Along with my daughter I am growing some veggies, herbs, flowers, and a few fruit trees. I will do my best to keep the grow log lively and entertaining. As always lots of pictures of plants and pods, but also some cool nature, and a few extra distractions from time to time.

Hope everyone has a great season!

Germinating:

All from saved seeds except store pods and Mini Mini from Finland THP member

Cumari do Para iso
Yellow 7 pod (Brain like)
Douglah cross F2 (small red uniform)
Chocolate Hab
Yellow Scorpion CARDI
7 Pot White
7 Pot Barrackpore
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Douglah cross F2 (red)
Quintisho
Douglah cross F3 (Brownish- maroon with bonnett-habish shape)
Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion iso
"Funky" orange habs from HEB
Manzano from Fiesta pods
Super Chilli
Trinidad Congo Red
Purple Flash
Smiter Q pequin like pods
Mini Mini

I will list my overwinters soon, can''t remember.

Here are some pics;
Germinating began Feb. 3rd. The three cells in the corner were all up on day 6. Douglah cross F2 small fat red pointy. I might post a pic from last year to show their shape. All my crosses are accidental nature.
IMG_0813-Copy_zpsd22c186d.jpg

Meyer Lemon bloom smells a lot like Jasmin
IMG_0810-Copy_zpsa5a1bae8.jpg

Coming out of hibernation, overwinters
IMG_0786_zpsa1c8e3dc.jpg

Found this guy in a Mountain Laurel by my driveway. Western Screech Owl I believe
02761fe0-3bfe-483a-9a65-57bc2922b900_zpsfb18433f.jpg

Owl be back!

capsidadburn said:
Many thanks Gary! I'll be ready with an early start on those pequin help! I know it's an annuum and thereby fast, but I'd rather put out plants further along and possibly turn over another generation during the back half of the season that will be a mature overwinter 2015 F3.

The meat pie certainly was a beast, although sadly, not my creation. I have to stop and laugh every time I try to reply to this! It can consume your thoughts!

There is not a video right now even though it's been discussed for a couple years. There is a "podcast", which I will try to find out more about. I'm of the opinion that a podcast was the act of throwing an unwanted pepper across the yard toward the compost bin!

See you later

Cool! When will you start your Pequins? I like the early start idea, like maybe NOW for the 2014 season? I would love to do that with the Pequins...I just don't know if I would have the space in the grow room once I got the other varieties going. How do you handle that?

I'm beginning to think maybe I could get better production from fewer plants if I depended on overwinters for the majority of my production...The second-year plants seem to be so much healthier and more robust, much more resistive to drastic changes in temperature, moisture, fertilizer content of the soil...and orders of magnitude more productive than the first-year plants...I don't really have a clear picture in my mind of how it would work, but it sounds like a greenhouse, grow house, hoop house, "high tunnel" or something of the like would be involved...The idea is fairly nascent right now. Would love to hear your thoughts...

Lol, I love the podcast joke....You and I have the exact same sense of humour.... ;)  

With a lot of plants you don't handle it very well. I stayed around 75 this season and it wasn't as stressful as 200 - 300.

I do have the one Pequin plant with pendant pods but they just weren't as hot as what Brian brought to me. Maybe I miss understood, or didn't communicate correctly, I was hoping you would send seeds from your OW plant that is hot. Outdoors I am limited n space but will try for a dozen container and a few raised bed plants. You mentioned much earlier that you only had 1 in 6 grow true, much more plants should be attempted. I know you said a row of 20 I think for your plot.

After germination in the germ area, (3 x 6 bench top 4 feet tall space closed off with reflective material CFL's, Flouro's, and curtain) I have room for 8 - 10 flats worth of 3 to 5 inch tall plants using rain guttering around the walls of the germ area. After that they move to a vertical grow box 3 feet square and six feet tall, also with CFL's and Flouro's that will hold 10 flats up to 9 inch tall plants. They move to my enclosed windowed back porch after that on sawhorses with boards.

I don't think I would germinate before late November, hoping for ripe pods by May, and then germinating those seeds again.

I'm pretty sure I get my humor from my Dad and patience from my Mom. Everytime I tease my kids I hear my Dads essence of delivery.

Let me know what you think Gary.

Mike

I'm air-drying some Pequin pods right now....With Pequin and Chiltepin it seems easier than harvesting seeds from fresh, moist pods, and you get the bonus of some nice little poppers to snack on...I'll get them on their way to you right away.

Thanks for sharing your nursery process and thoughts...It's obvious I need to dedicate more space to that...Any tips on how to sell it to the wife?

No way will I go there Gary!

I left a little something extra on the computer keyboard keys a couple nights ago after deseeding some pods and it wound up in her eye. She was not to pleased with my exciting new pods I got. I have gloves, I just don't always use them.

Good luck!

Aw dude, sorry about that....I did that to my wife when she touched a cutting board I had been using. Now I am consigned to a dedicated knife and cutting board I must keep in the garage.

You might enjoy this video. Carlos had been deseeding some Pequins I sent him, and wiped his hands on a bath towel his "baby mama" later used:

WARNING: LOUD PROFANITY

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=505022752912430&set=vb.100002141286452&type=3&theater

Hollah if it doesn't work and I'll just rip it to a Quicktime movie...It's too funny not to have....

I'm considering starting my seeds in late Oct., and this is to beat the heat that rolls in so soon here. Think that's too early?

Yeah, I fried the wife's hands last weekend, and it was the kitchen faucet. The heat doesn't bother my hands, but her's are really sensitive to the capsicum.

Friday is so close I can taste it! 

Gary, I'm glad I watched that and no one else was around!  I'm definately guilty of not getting rid of the hand towel by the kitchen sink when I should.  I don't have speakers on my work computer and couldn't hear it if I did with 30 foot tall ceilings filled with machine noise, air hoses etc.

I'm sure with your ingenuity, that you will come up with the right combination of words and sweet command of the english language to achieve the common THP goal of More plants!

Mike

Scott, I don't think October is to early if you can deal with the larger plants while waiting out the last frost danger.

I usually have a nice warm glow going on my hands and fingers for a couple days after deseeding or cuttling up a lot of pods with out wearing gloves.  I always wish I could have that on my lower back!  That should be a service provided somewhere!   Sounds a bit scandalous!

Got lots of projects this weekend too.  Thinking of one or two 1 gallon ferments mainly of Scotch Bonnets with bonus heat!  I will need a trip to the store...

I've read that some powder mixed with a cream is supposed to help, but start with small amounts!

I'm going to make some 1 gal grow bags out of pond underlay, and yes will be hauling them in and out. I want the suppers to set pods this next year. This grow I have 4 and 5' plants and really very few pods, due to a late start...

Have a great weekend!

Sorry about the profanity in the vid guys...I know it's too late for y'all, but I edited the post to include a warning...

Thanks Mike! I'm "studying on it"....

Scott, every year the majority of my C. chinense production comes in October and November, after the weather cools off, so take good care of those tall plants dude!

Not enough images on this page. Squirrel tasting the tree fort. In 2011 the heat was so bad I could spray garden hose at these and they would just open their mouth.

This weekend I'll probably start a ferment using Yellow Jamaican Scotch Bonnets and a small amount of Red Brainstrains from Judy's fresh pods. Swing by the store on the way home from work.

Great weekend everybody!

Wow that looks great Mike. Every pod looks like pure perfection. :dance:

I how found that this is the best time of year for me to start new varieties. By March they are ready to start pumping out pods and come late June they are ready to lay low until the heat wave is gone. I know a little late to the party but that's how I roll. I think our winter is much like most Northerners Spring. We really should only grow from sept to june  :fireball:

Nice pods there Mike!

Squirrels, we have 'em everywhere! OK do you ever "bark" back at them? I have fun with that.

I'm hoping mine do that (Jamie and Gary), so far just one super has done anything. One cool thing is the forecast, chances of rain start Saturday and continue all the way until Thursday, highs in the mid 80's. The sunshade comes off Sat afternoon and fingers will be crossed!

'Yall have a great weekend!

romy6 said:
 Wow that looks great Mike. Every pod looks like pure perfection. :dance:

I how found that this is the best time of year for me to start new varieties. By March they are ready to start pumping out pods and come late June they are ready to lay low until the heat wave is gone. I know a little late to the party but that's how I roll. I think our winter is much like most Northerners Spring. We really should only grow from sept to june  :fireball:
Thanks Jamie!  I think you are right about growing from Sept. to June.  I usually have 3 or 4, too cold for plants days to deal with.

WalkGood said:
Cool tree fort in da Oak ... hmm fresh squirrel on the menu ;) ... great looking Scotch Bonnets FTW ... have an awesome weekend!
Thanks Ramon, I will!  Squirrel on menu; might come to that someday!

Devv said:
Nice pods there Mike!

Squirrels, we have 'em everywhere! OK do you ever "bark" back at them? I have fun with that.

I'm hoping mine do that (Jamie and Gary), so far just one super has done anything. One cool thing is the forecast, chances of rain start Saturday and continue all the way until Thursday, highs in the mid 80's. The sunshade comes off Sat afternoon and fingers will be crossed!

'Yall have a great weekend!
I ready to get rid of my shades, but it still pretty hot.  I do have chance of rain all week which is great and cloudy!
Weather forecast;
http://www.kxan.com/weather
Great Weekend Scott!

MGOLD86 said:
Looking great Mike!  Really nice pods and squirrels.  lol.
Thanks Matt, Sorry!  I've been needed to get over to your grow, slackin!  Ready to see those sauces rockin North Caralina!

Today's ferment;  Jamaican Yellow and Tobago Scotch Bonnet(301 grams) with Mango and Pineapple.(743 and 907 grams)  I did not use any red chinense and bought newer carrots than pictured.

I'm beat, grilled Tilapia for the family, I need a couch!
See ya tommorrow all!

That is the case most of the time Scott.  This month is a little short at work (our usual target profit) so I've been asked to pump out more than planned.  I was very tired Saturday morning I noticied, cause I haven't worked much overtime this year.  Great for the bank account though. 

Thanks about the ferment Scott!  I thought I would like the look of the diced Sun dried tom's, but I think I will puree them away after ferment.  It looks like a giant jar of cheese!  It's a little hot for the general poplulation so I'm not sure what I can add that will help that at cookdown.  There's a ton of fruit in there allready which will breakdown into a lot of liquid.  I used figs in my very first ferment cookdown and it has been universally loved. Maybe figs again, or similar sweet thickener for heat dissipation.

I've got a lot more pods of Judy's mega deal to use up.  I've been doing lots of deseeding.  Too many varieties and not enough room to grow them all next season.

I think there is going to be maybe enough Naranjilla fruit for a ferment this fall.  Now what to use it in... Certainly a good taste which is all I've really been after.  The fruit isn't 2 inch diameter but approaching ping pong ball size and showing signs of more than a couple.  I've read it is not supposed to grow in hotter climates.  My Stevia is doing well here too.  Do I want to build some kind of extract press?  I've only been drying it which is great in a tea.

Have a good week people of THP!

I haven't tried a ferment yet, but will later in the season. What to do with all the peppers? Ferment! Although I need to do some serious study on the subject as I've never done this before..

My job is salary based, luckily I rarely need to work OT. And when I do I can take that time back. Now when I was an auto tech, straight commission, I came in early, and lunch was usually ate in 5 minutes. Did that until 41, and retired from that after watching the peeps in their 50's who could barely move. I can still move OK...but as anyone who's in their mid 50's, I can feel my age. It won't be much longer before I'm closer to 60 than 50. But I feel blessed to have made it this far! The alternative is not a fun thought.

Back