• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn 2014

Here we go again.  Seems like it was only yesterday.  I've recieved a lot of pods and seeds from great folks here.  THP and those folks are awesome!   I'll be growing most all of them as well as an order I just placed yesterday with Semillas.

I will seriously have to alter my logistics and layout to grow everything and keep it as asthetic but affordable as possible.  Big problems;  I need to trim my front yard trees to get more morning and mid day sun in the back.  I really need to haul in new soil.  Hello wheelbarrow and backpain.  My city is currently in a stage 2 drought restrictions (once a week watering).  I usually water with drip irrigation everyother day until summer forces me to each day.  Barrel collection (which I've been tinkering with for a while) will have to happen.

Here is my list in no particular order.  Seeds and or Fresh pods from; Pepperlover/ Judy, GAGrowhead/Jason, Windchicken/Gary, Sawyer/John, Spicegeist/Charles  Meatfreak/ Stefan, PIC 1/ Greg  Thanks to all!                  
                                                                                               Transplanted to 3x3's;
 ​
Butch T Scorpion /Me
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise/Jason
Peach Bhut Jolokia/Judy
Sepia Serpent/Jason
Bhut Orange Copenhagen/Jason
Peach Habanero/Judy
7 Pot Not Red (Yellow) Barrackpore/Me
White Devil's Tongue/Jason
NagaBrain F3/Gary
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion/Jason
Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion/Jason
Congo Black/Judy
White Bhut Jolokia/Judy
Bonda ma Jaques X Yellow 7 Pot/Gary-Charles
Brain Strain/Judy
Datil/Jason
Tobago Yellow Scotch Bonnet/Judy
Bubble Gum 7 Pot #1/Jason
Yellow Moruga Scorpion/Judy
Yellow Bhut Jolokia/Judy
7 Pot Chiguanas/Judy
Texas Pequin F2/Gary-Brian
7 Pot Jonah/Judy
Brown Moruga Scorpion/Judy
Elysium Oxide Bonnet F4/ Me
Tepin X 7 Pot/Charles
MOA Scotch Bonnet/John
7 Pot Burgundy/John
7 Pot Barrackpore/Me
Jigsaw/John
Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet/Judy
Cumari do Para/Me
Giant Yellow Brainstrain/Judy
Carolina Reaper/John
Funky Reaper/John
7 Pot Brown/John
Douglah/Me
Chintexle/Charles
Donne Sali/Charles
TFM Scotch Bonnet/Jason
Tepin X Quintisho F1/ Me
Mini-Mini X Purple Flash F1/ Me
Trinidad Chocolate Bonnet/Jason
Trinidad Cherries/Jason
Tepin/Me
Quintisho/Me
Giant White Hab/ Jason
Espelette Basque/ Me
Green Habanero
CGN 23255
Brown Bhutlah
Brown Rocoto
Sara's Green
El Oro de Ecuador
Jalapeno Jalastar
Habanero Naranja Picante
CAP 217 Rocoto
Jalapeno Goliath
Lota Bih
Chiclayo
Jalapeno El Jefe
Yellow Bhut SG
Naga Suomi
Madballs 7 Red
7 Pot Primo Orange
Yellow Infinity
St. Martins Red Hab
Miss. St. Butch T
Madballs 7 Chocolate
Och Rios Scotch Bonnet
Numex 6-4
Armageddon
MOA Red
Spanish Naga Morich
Lumbre
Big Bang Chocolate Naga
White Fatalii
UBSC
 ​

Have a great day people!

Hi and Thanks Stefan and Jason! Sorry that I have been away for a while. Mostly preoccupied with my kids and other non gardening stuff. My season has turned out to be the worst ever aphid problems. My usually effective soap remedies are not. Most all of my plants have some leaf distortion or some sort of damage and maybe stunting. They are pulling through and going to produce but just not what I had hopes for. On the upside the returning Ladybug larvae and Lace Wings are heavy.

Stefan I have three of the Pimenta Lisa plants. Two with darker coloration and one not. I will do my best to collect isolated seeds from them.

I try and post some pics soon.

Mike

Been missing your reports Mike!

But family time is where it's at, enjoy those kids because then they move out and those days are gone. Of course then you'll be surrounded with beautiful G-Kids! They will come in like a tornado. You have realize I'm there...LOL

Sorry about the plant woes, I guess we all have our issues of some type or another. I feel I have mites bugging the gals in the raised beds. Been hitting them with Bonide wettable sulfur, this evening is going to be the third and hopefully last treatment. AT least we've had nicer weather the last few weeks!

Enjoy the weekend!

capsidadburn said:
Hi and Thanks Stefan and Jason! Sorry that I have been away for a while. Mostly preoccupied with my kids and other non gardening stuff. My season has turned out to be the worst ever aphid problems. My usually effective soap remedies are not. Most all of my plants have some leaf distortion or some sort of damage and maybe stunting. They are pulling through and going to produce but just not what I had hopes for. On the upside the returning Ladybug larvae and Lace Wings are heavy.

Stefan I have three of the Pimenta Lisa plants. Two with darker coloration and one not. I will do my best to collect isolated seeds from them.

I try and post some pics soon.

Mike
Sorry to hear about the aphids as well, it's the same sad story everywhere. Here we blame it on the very mild winter. Best of luck with your battle against them! I'm having tons of ladybugs and larvae in the garden, when I see one I catch them and release in the pepper tunnel :) Best remedy against those  :censored: Thanks for the update about the Lisa's. Yours are bouncing back after some burned leaves damage :(

OCD Chilehead said:
Sorry to here about the aphid invasion. I hope the lady bugs take control of the situation. Good luck and thanks for the update
Thank you OC!  They seem to be a noticeable presence.

romy6 said:
 Mike I feel your pain on the phids. Just found a boat load of the on a few of my pants as well. Gonna zap their asses tonight. On the flip side I have one of your crosses in my aero so will keep you posted on it . have a great memorial day weekends sir . 
They (aphids), certainly seem to be a new and improved breed.  Hope you have good luck with yours!  Glad to hear about the cross.  Thinking about pushing the aero question with my wife as I don't think I'll grow much next year.  Tried to slow down last year but was bit real hard by an infectious early germinating bug this year.  Have too much other stuff I should be doing.

Devv said:
Been missing your reports Mike!

But family time is where it's at, enjoy those kids because then they move out and those days are gone. Of course then you'll be surrounded with beautiful G-Kids! They will come in like a tornado. You have realize I'm there...LOL

Sorry about the plant woes, I guess we all have our issues of some type or another. I feel I have mites bugging the gals in the raised beds. Been hitting them with Bonide wettable sulfur, this evening is going to be the third and hopefully last treatment. AT least we've had nicer weather the last few weeks!

Enjoy the weekend!
Thanks Scott!  I know you're right about the family.  In early May my son took a 3rd place medal in one of his events, at the Texas State Sci. Olympiad tournament.  I've been still involved in helping him figure out how to beat the "big oil" sponsored teams next year.  Oh yeah, he was nominated for prom King but had to settle for Prince as he is not old enough for King yet.  I feel very good about that since I was an unknown wallflower in my day.

Sorry about the mites, hope they go down for you.  The weather has been pretty good and my plants are starting to pull through.  No where as far along as I thought I would be.

A few pics from this weekend.  Hope Memorial day is great for everyone!
I'm still transplanting a lot of plants.  These later plants are in much better shape.

This is the Yellow Bhut I got from Charles.  Have some others in containers too.

This is my Tepin x Quintisho cross which I'm still fairly excited about.  It has the Quintisho shape, just smaller at this point.  Hope it turns Yellow.

This is one of Stefan's Pimenta Lisa F2.  It is the farthest along but showing lots of damage. A lower leaf has a ladybug larvae transitioning into adult while an upper right side leaf with dead tissue damage has an adult on it.  At some point I will have some nicer pics Stefan.  The Jalapenos have all produced early pods but seem to be deficient and in slow down mode.  Time to feed everyone.

Raised bed Pimenta Lisa which is finally showing signs of life.  This one was transplanted much earlier than the container plant.

I'll try to post more pics soon.

Thanks Stefan, Jason, OCD, Jamie, and Scott!

Yes the rain looks like a good one.  I thought it might just kiss your area too.  It did rain some last night but I failed to look at the gage.  I just finished transplanting another half dozen plants and some basil.  Gonna chill out with a cold one now!

The sci. oly. events all have rules and parameters that must be followed by all.  The events, rules, and parameters are tweaked a little each year.  A mixture of test only and build events.  The 2015 info will be posted in October with the first invitational comp. in November thru January.  Regionals in March and State in May.  Our middle school team placed 5th out of 30 teams this year, up from 6th last year.  The high school team stayed at 11th place same as last year.  Concidently the Halliburton funded Middle school team (Beckindorf of Houston) went on to win the national tounament.

I need to unwind myself from all this and focus on his starting some college courses and a drivers license.

Thanks Scott!

Well we got another 1.5"s, that's 6" for the month! Hope this is a trend, a long term trend! I wanted to weed eat and mow this 3 day and it stayed too wet. No problem!

Our school offers the dual credit courses, can't beat the jump start.

And oh, I remember those days when the kids got their licenses. Money just flew through my hands!

Have a great week!

Devv said:
Well we got another 1.5"s, that's 6" for the month! Hope this is a trend, a long term trend! I wanted to weed eat and mow this 3 day and it stayed too wet. No problem!

Our school offers the dual credit courses, can't beat the jump start.

And oh, I remember those days when the kids got their licenses. Money just flew through my hands!

Have a great week!
Scott, we may have missed the boat for dual credit this fall but spring will work.  He'll certainly be driving by then.

meatfreak said:
Thanks for the pictures, Mike. They look great, they will be back in shape within no time :) Looks like you have an green and dark pheno plant also, same as me :) Have a good weekend!!
The next update will show some happier looking plants Stefan!

This news article caught my attention today.  Some of you may have seen.  Though not related, here is my own grasshopper issues;

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/06/03/grasshoppers-new-mexico-weather-service/9906329/

Every year for several years I have had these beautiful immature (nymph) grasshoppers eating my plants.  They stay around 1 inch long as an adult and not as colorful.  Newborns are less than 1/4 inch.  The eggs are laid on the underside of a leaf, 2mm size and transparent.  Usually beside the eggs are freshly ate holes from the newborns.  Here are some pics of one and the damage done.

Close up; Aidemona azteca  or, Aztec Spur Throated grasshopper (immature)

Damage to a NagaBrain.  It's a lot like flea beetle damage but not.  I catch them in the act and inflict a little pressure!

Naga Suomi pod maybe a little distorted?

An overhead view of my Tepin x Qintisho cross.  My Tepins usually have a distinct geometic branching pattern that repeats often.  Not present here, and I am starting to see multiple buds per node.

My everpresent garden buddy helping out with morning observations.

Some of thes pics were posted and lost in the recent virtual tornado.

Have a great week!

Mike

Yeah we lost some time, who said a time machine doesn't exist. Sadly it only goes backwards in cyberworld. Now if I could go back knowing what I know now, things would certainly change :shh: +

I don't have the pretty g-hoppers, but I have hoppers, just hate them!

Have a great week!

This weeks update;  Some rain last week, mostly high temps at low 90's now.  Finally picking up some steam here.
This pequin pic for Gary.  Got a couple of these in one gallon pots mostly ignored.  They are side by side but one is showing tanning on the exposed pods.  Did not see that before.  Mostly pendant pods.

Call this #3 Pimenta Lisa F2 in container.  It is the farthest behind in progress.

The #2 plant, also in container is approx 2 feet tall with an impressive desire to prove itself.  Dark stems and veins.

And finally #1 Pementa Lisa in raised bed. (2 pics)  It has finally found the will to be.  Stefan, I'll let you know when I've got some pods.

Trinidad Chocolate Bonnet from Jason in container

Elysium Oxide bonnet in container.  The prettiest one I have.

MOA from John (Sawyer) in the new raised bed.  Lots of lock out and aphid issues finally breaking free.

Have a great weekend!
Mike

Plants have recovered nicely, Mike :) Funny to see your #3 has all white flowers as mine has a little purple on them, still no pods. Your Bonnet has recovered well also, starting to flower soon. The other 2 are a bit small so I pinch of the buds till they grow bigger first.

Back