• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn 2014

Here we go again.  Seems like it was only yesterday.  I've recieved a lot of pods and seeds from great folks here.  THP and those folks are awesome!   I'll be growing most all of them as well as an order I just placed yesterday with Semillas.

I will seriously have to alter my logistics and layout to grow everything and keep it as asthetic but affordable as possible.  Big problems;  I need to trim my front yard trees to get more morning and mid day sun in the back.  I really need to haul in new soil.  Hello wheelbarrow and backpain.  My city is currently in a stage 2 drought restrictions (once a week watering).  I usually water with drip irrigation everyother day until summer forces me to each day.  Barrel collection (which I've been tinkering with for a while) will have to happen.

Here is my list in no particular order.  Seeds and or Fresh pods from; Pepperlover/ Judy, GAGrowhead/Jason, Windchicken/Gary, Sawyer/John, Spicegeist/Charles  Meatfreak/ Stefan, PIC 1/ Greg  Thanks to all!                  
                                                                                               Transplanted to 3x3's;
 ​
Butch T Scorpion /Me
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise/Jason
Peach Bhut Jolokia/Judy
Sepia Serpent/Jason
Bhut Orange Copenhagen/Jason
Peach Habanero/Judy
7 Pot Not Red (Yellow) Barrackpore/Me
White Devil's Tongue/Jason
NagaBrain F3/Gary
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion/Jason
Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion/Jason
Congo Black/Judy
White Bhut Jolokia/Judy
Bonda ma Jaques X Yellow 7 Pot/Gary-Charles
Brain Strain/Judy
Datil/Jason
Tobago Yellow Scotch Bonnet/Judy
Bubble Gum 7 Pot #1/Jason
Yellow Moruga Scorpion/Judy
Yellow Bhut Jolokia/Judy
7 Pot Chiguanas/Judy
Texas Pequin F2/Gary-Brian
7 Pot Jonah/Judy
Brown Moruga Scorpion/Judy
Elysium Oxide Bonnet F4/ Me
Tepin X 7 Pot/Charles
MOA Scotch Bonnet/John
7 Pot Burgundy/John
7 Pot Barrackpore/Me
Jigsaw/John
Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet/Judy
Cumari do Para/Me
Giant Yellow Brainstrain/Judy
Carolina Reaper/John
Funky Reaper/John
7 Pot Brown/John
Douglah/Me
Chintexle/Charles
Donne Sali/Charles
TFM Scotch Bonnet/Jason
Tepin X Quintisho F1/ Me
Mini-Mini X Purple Flash F1/ Me
Trinidad Chocolate Bonnet/Jason
Trinidad Cherries/Jason
Tepin/Me
Quintisho/Me
Giant White Hab/ Jason
Espelette Basque/ Me
Green Habanero
CGN 23255
Brown Bhutlah
Brown Rocoto
Sara's Green
El Oro de Ecuador
Jalapeno Jalastar
Habanero Naranja Picante
CAP 217 Rocoto
Jalapeno Goliath
Lota Bih
Chiclayo
Jalapeno El Jefe
Yellow Bhut SG
Naga Suomi
Madballs 7 Red
7 Pot Primo Orange
Yellow Infinity
St. Martins Red Hab
Miss. St. Butch T
Madballs 7 Chocolate
Och Rios Scotch Bonnet
Numex 6-4
Armageddon
MOA Red
Spanish Naga Morich
Lumbre
Big Bang Chocolate Naga
White Fatalii
UBSC
 ​

Have a great day people!

Spicegeist said:
Fascinating little creature...
Agreed!

Sawyer said:
Fantastic pics, Mike, yours and your daughter's both. 

That Funky Reaper looks about half-way between what they looked like last year and a true Reaper.  No real reason to have expected it to maintain phenotype, I guess.  Though I think Scott's version looks closer what is expected.

My MoAs last year were located not all that far from a Jigsaw.  Maybe you have an MoA Jigsaw cross.  Can't tell for sure, but that larger pod looks a lot like my Jigsaws looked last year.
Thanks John!  She's campaigning hard for a camera for her birthday soon.  I think the Funky's are looking even better now.  Whatever the unknown turns out to be I'll be happy.  I have several of the Jigsaws going but I don't think any have set pods yet.

OCD Chilehead said:
I never get tired of the pics. Looking good.
Thanks OC, I'll try to keep them coming!

chile_freak said:
Beautiful pics brotha! And you must let us know the flavor on the habanero naranja, I have had orange habs that were sweet fruity and beautifully hot and I've had orange habs that tasted like hot trash! I've not had that many mediocre funny enough, but plenty of really good and plenty of really bad! Cheers and best of luck!
Will do Pauly!  I've got a couple of those plants with interesting looking pods on both.  I'll post the other soon.

Whats new today?

El Oro de Ecuador

Green Habanero from Semillas.  The pod on the right has a jovial look about him.  Reminds me of a character from the movie Heavy Metal!

Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet revisited

Brown Moruga from Judy

Speaking of "Judy with the white Bhuts on"

Unknown Brain Strain Cross from Greg

Big Bang Chocolate Naga from Semillas

And finally today's EOB update.

Got some non's to follow.

Thanks!

One more time...

More friendly's on the way!  Ladybug eggs.

Congo Black from Judy's fresh pods last season.

Pimenta Lisa (plant #2 green phene)

Grew this Spicy Globe basil last year and loved the smell in the garden while watering or just walking past it.  Dried some too.  Decided to grow more varieties after listening to Gary speak highly about all the types he grows.

Cinnamon basil

Lemon basil.  Which I plan on using very soon on some pan roasted pineapple slices at cookdown for a 9 month Scotch Bonnet 1 gallon ferment.  Got myself another, (more power) hot plate for Father's day.  Maybe this weekend!

Cardinal basil

Genovese basil (I think)

Emily basil

One of the BOC's are starting to set pods now.  Wahoo!

Cold one in hand, have a great evening!  Mike

I love that Scott, but it doesn't all carry over to every thing else in the yard.  If I can just make the yard my canvas the art will show itself!  It's very embarassing actually.

Devv said:
As usual Mike, outstanding photography AND beautiful plants.

I sure do know someone North of me has a green thumb hand body!

I've never really been very happy with my ability at tomato's either for that matter. 

I first started photography as a freshmen in high school (1976),  and I was obsessed with trains.  Specifically diesel engines.  Thousands of pics of them from south west Missouri.  Then I used to do a lot of late night time exposures in graveyards or salvage yards or foggy downtown scenes, and also daylight time exposures.  So the artistry developed as I grew.  My dad also was a avid photographer and I have one of his old early Kodak 35mm rangefinder type cameras.

Started skating as a sophmore I think.  Lots of photography there too.

Enough ramble!  Thanks again Scott!

capsidadburn said:
I love that Scott, but it doesn't all carry over to every thing else in the yard.  If I can just make the yard my canvas the art will show itself!  It's very embarassing actually.

I've never really been very happy with my ability at tomato's either for that matter. 

I first started photography as a freshmen in high school (1976),  and I was obsessed with trains.  Specifically diesel engines.  Thousands of pics of them from south west Missouri.  Then I used to do a lot of late night time exposures in graveyards or salvage yards or foggy downtown scenes, and also daylight time exposures.  So the artistry developed as I grew.  My dad also was a avid photographer and I have one of his old early Kodak 35mm rangefinder type cameras.

Mike,

My father retired as a VP , working his last job with Technicolor, he worked for Pathe, and Deluxe back in the day. He taught me how to take pics; but I usually rush things. He taught me the basics, exposure, film speed, shutter speed. Back when it was 35mm. Now a days, my life is always in a rush. Why is it that the world is rushing by so fast I can't keep up with it? The kids have moved out, but time has accelerated. At least in my world. Maybe it's my job..

I'm going to try....once again to take a step back and slow down and take the pics i know I can.

I look at  yours and just say wow!

Great pics Mike :dance:  especially enjoy seeing your ability to capture the elusive Dragon Fly in stunning fashion. Your plants look dialed and not a moment to soon . The dogs day of summer are here. Your EOB is a fascinating plant and I have one in my aerogarden that will be ready for the real world soon. Keep them pics coming . Especially the Dragons .  ;)

capsidadburn said:

Thanks for the photo history Mike. A lot of us have taken interest in photography after joining THP. There are a lot that have been at it for awhile and even back in the film days. I enjoyed reading about your start.

Plants and pods are looking great. Enjoy the weekend.

Devv said:

Mike,

My father retired as a VP , working his last job with Technicolor, he worked for Pathe, and Deluxe back in the day. He taught me how to take pics; but I usually rush things. He taught me the basics, exposure, film speed, shutter speed. Back when it was 35mm. Now a days, my life is always in a rush. Why is it that the world is rushing by so fast I can't keep up with it? The kids have moved out, but time has accelerated. At least in my world. Maybe it's my job..

I'm going to try....once again to take a step back and slow down and take the pics i know I can.

I look at  yours and just say wow!
Scott, I know that you can do whatever you set your mind to do!  Thanks.

romy6 said:
 Great pics Mike :dance:  especially enjoy seeing your ability to capture the elusive Dragon Fly in stunning fashion. Your plants look dialed and not a moment to soon . The dogs day of summer are here. Your EOB is a fascinating plant and I have one in my aerogarden that will be ready for the real world soon. Keep them pics coming . Especially the Dragons .  ;)
Thanks Jamie!  I'll keep after them!  Yes summer is just about on us.  Past time to think about shade screen too!   I'm glad you think well of the EOB.  The real world is definately the challenge!

Pr0digal_son said:
Thanks for the photo history Mike. A lot of us have taken interest in photography after joining THP. There are a lot that have been at it for awhile and even back in the film days. I enjoyed reading about your start.

Plants and pods are looking great. Enjoy the weekend.
No problem John!  Thank you very much!  I have always wanted one of those Nikon L810 or L820 I think they are called that you have.  Amazing detail in your pics always.

Here's a pic of a ♀ Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simpliciollis) eating a snack.  If this was video you could see him her chewing!

[[/URL]
So after working six hour yesterday morning I come home and clean up and rest for a few.  I head back to work to finish a sauce thats been fermenting 9 months.  It took me 6 hours to get it all done.  The room had to be cleaned and all of my stuff which took hour and half.  I was very tired and slept like a rock.

This is the ferment at first taste.  Major pickling salt heavy taste.  Good heat and taste otherwise.  I use right at 2% salt by weight and this is the second time I've been overwhelmed by the salt at taste.  The other time was also a favorite sauce.  Maybe it will settle down some.  The ferment was Yellow Jamaican S.B. and Tobago Yellow S. B. Mango, Pineapple, carrots, onion, garlic, sun dried tomatos, and 1/2 cup of bourbon.  It didn't need 9 months I just haven't been able to use my own kitchen for quite a while.

Can't finish a sauce without a good beer.

Here pan roasting some pineapple slices in spices and Lemon basil from my garden. Next time I do this I'll have a round cookie cutter to remove the pith after.  My new Father's day toy.  1300 watts and it did well for me.  Waring Pro SB30

Here's the final pan roasted pinapple.  Also added carrots and mango.

Boiling bottles and utensils.  This old 1000 watt hot plate takes awhile to do that.

Home stretch

Made an even 2 dozen counting the 1/2 pint sampler I left for the coworkers.

No worries here!

Have a good day!  Mike

OCD Chilehead said:
WOW. That sauce looks fantastic. Love the picture of the sauce bottled. Empty beer bottle on its side.
Thanks OC!  I had a good time doing something that I hadn't done in awhile.  I'll try to change that now!

Devv said:
Thanks for the sauce school Mike!

Looks great and I'm sure it tastes that way!
Thanks Scott,  Everybody seems to like it but I think it's a marinade only situation.  Back at it with enthusiasm!
Update;  CGN 23255 makes nice little clusters of red pods.  C. chinense

My first Lota Bih pod I think.  Looks like it wants to be a C. frutescens after all!

Pimenta Lisa #3 dark pheno container plant first pod

Two views of Funky Reaper from John

Farthest along MOA container plant from John. 

Mystery Not MOA most likely a Jigsaw mix up.  My other Jigsaw's I think were started way later than the MOA's I was drooling over at germination!
John, do these look a little like the Not white bhuts?

"Sara's Green" from Semillas

I have a couple of nons and one ripening pic left.

Sawyer said:
Could be.  I don't remember any stingers like those have, though.  Time will tell.

Everything's looking really great, Mike.  Even the best of mine have just started blooming.
Thanks John, just as I posted that last post the thought popped into my head.  We'll know soon enough I suppose.  There are some small pods on my Jigsaw's but I don't think they look quite like that.

Here's a Naga Suami pod starting to ripen;

Latest EOB pic;

More circus trick with a female Blue Dancer getting brave

Thanks for looking!

Back