• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Carnivorous Plants

heres a list of my pygmy drosera that should be here wednesday..

Pygmy Drosera closterostigma,
Pygmy Drosera dichrosepala
Pygmy Drosera enodes
Pygmy Drosera ericksoniae
Pygmy Drosera grievei
Pygmy Drosera lasiantha
Pygmy Drosera microscapa
Pygmy Drosera nitudula ssp. alantostigma
Pygmy Drosera nitidula ssp. leucostigma
Pygmy Drosera nitidula ssp. omissa x pulchella
Pygmy Drosera paleacea spp. stelliflora
Pygmy Drosera paleacea spp. trichocaulis
Pygmy Drosera platystigma
Pygmy Drosera pulchella 'orange flowers'
Pygmy Drosera pulchella 'pink flowers'
Pygmy Drosera pygmaea f. Kangaroo Island
Pygmy Drosera roseana
Pygmy Drosera scorpioides
Pygmy Drosera sargentii

heres some cool drosera
sites'
http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/sauna/9219/
http://pygmydrosera.com/gen.html

stillmanz said:
BB I grow my nepenthes in hanging baskets
Another cool way is to put them in a large pot and place a very long stake next to the plant. Then tie the Nepenthis to it as it gets taller.

In nature, Nepenthis' can be found climbing up trees. One of my associets at the LACPS (Los Angeles Carnivorous Plant Society) had a "Nepenthes On A Stick" and it looked sooooo cool!

billyboy said:
Thanks for identifying my plants IGG, now I can tell my work mate what they are, he said hes had the ones "Drosera capensis" for many years, Ive developed a particular liking to the "Drosera spatulata" as I collected them myself:)
The spatulata are fun. I had a bunch of those (nice flowers on them too). But I generally prefer the larger ones like the capensis.

Got my Pygmy Drosera gotta love them, heres a pic of one of my favourite D scorpioides, one of the larger pygmy types probably about 5cm high,
pic is not mine.
Dscorpioides-1.jpg

they are all outside in full 12 hours minimum OZ sun so they should be fine, very similiar climate tp Perth here maybe a bit more humid but.

well it looks like 2 of my VFT's will be flowering sometime soon :cool: that means I'll get more seeds to spread around in the container.

DSCF1302.jpg

yea you can see in the background a trap thats dieing, I just didnt know when to cut that leaf off because the rest of it is still green except the trap.

how come some traps take forever to close but another one might close quicker, why is that ?

chilehunter said:
well it looks like 2 of my VFT's will be flowering sometime soon :cool: that means I'll get more seeds to spread around in the container.
Carefull, the seeds are small.

chilehunter said:
yea you can see in the background a trap thats dieing, I just didnt know when to cut that leaf off because the rest of it is still green except the trap.
When the head turns brown, cut the leaf off at the base. This forces the plant to grow a new leaf quicker plus it's less of a drain on the plant's resources. That is unless you only have like, two leaves left on the plant. In that case, just leave the leaf on untill it's completely brown.

chilehunter said:
how come some traps take forever to close but another one might close quicker, why is that ?
It's dependent on two factors. One is light. The more light a plant gets the faster the trap will close. I had one plant that I kept outside (the pot of death) and that thing closed so fast it would damn near take your finger with the fly if you wern't careful.

The second factor is age of the leaf/and or the times that it has closed already.

stillmanz said:
what varieties are you getting?
I got Big Mouth. I wanted to get Southwest Giant but he (no anybody I know) had those. I also wanted to get Low Giant (which was th elarge part of the Pot of Death from 3 years ago) but at $12 a pop, I couldn't afford it.

The Killing Field

When in top form it was a lot of fun (for us anyway, the flies were less than thrilled).

We'd chill about 5 of them and dump them in still asleep. Gradually they'd wake up and go walkabouts, then flyabouts. They'd smash into something sticky and walk through it getting stickier and woozier and then they couldn't fly. Since the lights were on top, they'd try to walk to the lights, getting even stickier.
Eventually they'd walk through the VFT forest. Poor little guys. Snap!

Fly: "Hey, WTF? Let me out. Guys? Hey guys! This isn't funny! It's getting cramped in here. Guys? C'mon guys... . MMmmmfmm, (gasp) mmmfmm-hmmmfmm, bzzzz, bzzz, bzz, bz...."

IGG: Mwahahaha.

DaveReed said:
When in top form it was a lot of fun (for us anyway, the flies were less than thrilled).

We'd chill about 5 of them and dump them in still asleep. Gradually they'd wake up and go walkabouts, then flyabouts. They'd smash into something sticky and walk through it getting stickier and woozier and then they couldn't fly. Since the lights were on top, they'd try to walk to the lights, getting even stickier.
Eventually they'd walk through the VFT forest. Poor little guys. Snap!

Fly: "Hey, WTF? Let me out. Guys? Hey guys! This isn't funny! It's getting cramped in here. Guys? C'mon guys... . MMmmmfmm, (gasp) mmmfmm-hmmmfmm, bzzzz, bzzz, bzz, bz...."

IGG: Mwahahaha.

Ahhhh...good memoris come flooding back. Especially that last part, I was laughing miniacly through out the whole thing. :hell:

imaguitargod said:
Ahhhh...good memoris come flooding back. Especially that last part, I was laughing miniacly through out the whole thing. :hell:

Let's put up the diagrams of how we built the Killing Field.

dr

Anybody know of one big enough to take out a human? I've got this motherf***er of a neighbor and....ah, well, you get the idea, folks.

DaveReed said:
Let's put up the diagrams of how we built the Killing Field.

dr
Do you have the diagrams? I'd have to seach for them here.

DaveReed said:
Jon, are you there? Helloo????
Yes, are you? Hello? :lol:

bentalphanerd said:
you guys have seriously damaged your karma :lol:
And our kidneys from all of our drinking.

Sickmont said:
Anybody know of one big enough to take out a human? I've got this motherf***er of a neighbor and....ah, well, you get the idea, folks.
The largest is Nepenthes marylenella (sp?). It's a pitcher plant that's huge. So huge it's diet usually consists of frogs and small birds :shocked:

I guess you could slowly disolve different body parts if one were so inclined....

Back