• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

so DocNRock, am I correct in observing that the leaf shape on the Reaper is more triangular/pointy while the Primo is a more rounded leaf?

I have no dog in the fight and truly detest all of the bickering here, so I'm wondering if we can at least help to put to rest that these are the same plant, as has been asserted?

Or is it still too early to tell?

All good looking plants btw!

I think that is just the angles of the leaves in the photo. I have no dog in the fight, either. To me, the Reaper is just another hot pepper. When you look at the plants, they look similar. Although a bit smaller, the 7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic on the right also looks the same. To me, they all look like chinenses. :)

There is a 7 pot congo "gigantic" already? It was just 7 pot congo SR when I grew it last year. Ehhh...they were gigantic I guess.

lock203...did you grow any 7 pot Primo?

There is a 7 pot congo "gigantic" already? It was just 7 pot congo SR when I grew it last year. Ehhh...they were gigantic I guess.

I didn't grow any Primo's I had some regular 7 pots growing, but gave them to the University of Illinois when I started to run out of room. Now I'm down to 1 Reaper under the T5 and 1 Bhut under a 400 hps.

Hey P-Son,
I scraped some seeds out of those huge red pods you sent me. Those were surprisingly hot. the pods lit up a few folks at the bar........................ :onfire:

I've got a couple pods that are ready and a dozen more who are showing color.
VA7A9.jpg

hQW5O.jpg

I think it took just over 4 months from seed to get ripe pods.

Is that a reaper (aka hp22) ??? Thats another one with pods that look nothing like the pictures we saw spruiked here initially .... this is starting to look more and more like another bollocks attempt at fame and money in the chilli community. Although Mr Invisible and his record seems to have disappeared

So we can't even get an explanation if we wanted one

Sadly I'm not brave enough to eat more than a sliver. I will use them in a pot of chili this weekend and give it a taste when I'm cutting it up.

lock. Do all the pods on that plant look like that???

8E725062-CB1A-4668-857A-CE370FDD852D-6264-0000035A318A177F.jpg

This was one I sowed in octoberish. Looks like its stunted so I've just been using cuttings and cloning them. I may dig it up and repot in hopes to make it get bigger

DF263839-2D7B-40B6-91A7-D97E8098290B-1101-0000004A10158D1E.jpg

The one I the center (biggest one) is another reaper.

Back