• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Wow. What a joke. We're 0 for 2 on pods that look even remotely like the marketing and hype. My largest one is recovering from a fungus gnat infestation, but I have another that's doing well. Can't wait to see if it turns out looking like a primo, golden hab, scotch bonnet, or maybe something entirely different.

You cant look at the first 1 or 2 pods on the plant and say its not a reaper , i have had many plants throw out the first 2 or 3 pods that look nothing like what its spose to be , just this season one of my moruga yellow plants looked the shape of a bhut , yet from the 3rd pod onward is the perfect moruga shape , same with my yellow 7 pot , give the plant some time to show its true pod shape.

You cant look at the first 1 or 2 pods on the plant and say its not a reaper , i have had many plants throw out the first 2 or 3 pods that look nothing like what its spose to be , just this season one of my moruga yellow plants looked the shape of a bhut , yet from the 3rd pod onward is the perfect moruga shape , same with my yellow 7 pot , give the plant some time to show its true pod shape.

+1 to this. I think it's a bit early to tell. I personally will be looking forward to seeing multiple pods from individual grows as well as from the community grow as a whole. But this is why I earlier asked Lock about the heat and flavor. Looking forward to his reply after he tries a sliver of one.

I never expected this pepper to be the world's hottest/best/greatest anything. To me, it's just another (probable) superhot. It's new, so I thought it would be cool to grow. Very interested though to see what comes from it's genes. :)

If I can get my feeding on track correctly ill have hundreds of pods... my plants a dwarfed in size compared but there are hundreds of flowers across them.

I'll update when I see them podding up.

Lock203 can i ask , where did you buy your reaper seeds from ?, i got 2 packs of seeds from Puckerbutt pepper company , had 100% germ rates i planted 10 seeds and 10 sprouted , all plants are about 1ft tall and all look the same with looks and growth rates the same, I only have 5 primos and they look different to the reaper plants, what im saying is if you got reaper seeds from a 2nd or 3rd party , how do you know what they are ?

I forgot my phone today so I can't take any pics. I have around 100 pods on the plant of which I would say 95% of them look like the ones I posted.

Edit: Got my seeds from Pepper Joe.

My Reaper seeds came today, and are soakin in water. Primos sprouted yesterday. Probably gonna do 2 of each plant for various reasons.

I got around to making the chilli a little while ago, here's a pic of one cut open.
RwaX0.jpg

Here is the piece I tried.
EVoIJ.jpg

I don't have a lot to compare this to as I am limited to the type of pods I have tried. As soon as that thing hit my tongue it was HOT and my mouth went numb lol. It was a lot worse once it hit the throat and I say stayed there for a few minutes.
It tasted like milk if you were wondering lol.

The only other pepper I can really compare it to is my yellow bhut and it was way hotter.

lock203 those look like your average red Habanero. One thing about superhots is unless you've eaten a lot of them it's difficult to really tell just how hot they are. You say approximately 80% of the pods on that plant look similar? You're absolutely positive it's a reaper? Thanks for all of the info.

lock203 those look like your average red Habanero. One thing about superhots is unless you've eaten a lot of them it's difficult to really tell just how hot they are. You say approximately 80% of the pods on that plant look similar? You're absolutely positive it's a reaper? Thanks for all of the info.
Seeing as I haven't tried hardly any supers I have no way to tell how it would compare in heat. I'm not positive at all it is a reaper, I just grew the seeds and that is what I got.

Hotter than your Yellow Bhut and it tasted like milk? Odd pod!
Lol I cheated as soon as it hit the throat.

I'm gonna send out some pods tomorrow, so some people who have better knowledge than me can comment on heat levels, flavor, etc.

The way i look at it , buy dirrect and you know what your getting.. 2nd and 3rd party seed sellers could send you anything.. Just like ebay , who knows what you might get from ebay.

IMG_9696.jpg

IMG_9643.jpg

IMG_9639.jpg

Updated pic of my Reaper! :D
IMG_5460_zps8c9b6f84.jpg

Wow, using worm tea? It looks like the effects of mutant worm tea :)

Does anyone have pods yet from a seed pack straight from puckerbutt and not pepperjoes? Just wondering if there is any difference between the two. After reading all the sad stories about HP22B, i may not even try bothering growing this variety out even though i have the seeds from puckerbutt from when it first released.

lock I was wondering where you got your seeds from? I have to say the only plants that should be in this thread are ones where we know the seeds came from Pepperbutt or PepperJoe. Are there any other sources that sell these yet?

I got a packet from PepperJoe and have started them. I will be contributing to this thread. I am as curious as everybody else about this pepper.

Back