• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

So I can't defend a friend but as a businessman you think it's any better to get on a forum and slam a guy over... What did u say you had 18 plants? Obviously your getting reapers since you just posted a picture. And again, I'm happy for you about all your knowledge. How long you been growing? Does this make you the expert of everything pepper related? Know how long eds been doing this? I do. About 32 years.

I noticed to that every time I have a logical answer to your questions you just move on to another one. Now you try to tell me, a 42 year old grown man, what to do? Good luck with that buddy.

Being my genetic self, I only breed pigeons in isolation no more then one pair per cage, I wonder how the Reapers where breed for the first 8 generations to get to F8's was every plant Isolated or was it just every years crop was?   I got some Jay's Ghost Scorpion that are like F4's now from what I understand the seeds came from a field that was Isolated not a plant so I expect to see different genetic pheno's  to me I happy with that as I can pick what I like but if they were said to be stable and only field Isolated for 8 gen. then the chances of 99% stable just isn't there.  

36 out of 2200 plants is in truth very good but if seeds out of them where sold there always be a % that wouldn't show true to form.  IMO it's a matter of how one grew each gen in the first place as to how Stable they are or aren't.  

So in my thought how where they breed every year Field or every plant Isolated?  

Mr. Hill said:
Being my genetic self, I only breed pigeons in isolation no more then one pair per cage, I wonder how the Reapers where breed for the first 8 generations to get to F8's was every plant Isolated or was it just every years crop was?   I got some Jay's Ghost Scorpion that are like F4's not from what I understand the seeds came from a field that was Isolated not a plant so I expect to see different genetic pheno's  to me I happy with that as I can pick what I like but if they were said to be stable and only field Isolated for 8 gen. then the chances of 99% stable just isn't there.  

36 out of 2200 plants is in truth very good but if seeds out of them where sold there always be a % that wouldn't show true to form.  IMO it's a matter of how one grew each gen in the first place as to how Stable they are or aren't.  

So in my thought how where they breed every year Field or every plant Isolated?  
Ill answer this honestly like I have every question. My answer is, I have no idea. You'll have to ask Ed this information.

Right !

We have trademarks and PVP that cover everything, if you have the rights.

The trademark is weak as it doesn´t claim "Carolina Reaper" and it´s US and not international
A PVP doesn´t exist and will be refused due to the close relation of the Reaper to the Primo

Anything else has no binding character if there doesn´t exist a written and signed contract.
Conditions of a website can be changed everyday. You can see: update May 2013
Nobody knows the content before that time

Peter

semillas said:
Right !

The trademark is weak as it doesn´t claim "Carolina Reaper" and it´s US and not international
A PVP doesn´t exist and will be refused due to the close relation of the Reaper to the Primo

Peter
I agree.

Mike, I believe what you're saying. I now think that the source of the inconsistancies is due to some sort of mistake made by one of his contract growers or potenially a mess up during seed collection of one batch...whatever the cause, there are some inconsistancies.

I hope we can put this topic back on track before it gets locked or moved to Vendor Vault where most of the current discussion belongs. So....anyone wanna post some pics of how their plants are doing? :rofl:

I have two Reapers...one true to form. I haven't tasted either yet, and I may have missed it in all the clutter but has anyone compared the different looking pods for taste/heat? I got some ripe ones...and some ripe Primos. I may try each and post my observations.

someone working on their mba should do a case study on the marketing strategy/campaign that ed currie and pepper joe did with this pod.  seems like they were able to generate a lot of interest and a lot of sales (me included) on a start-up product of which no one (other than themselves) had any real knowledge.  seemingly, there is now quite a bit of backlash and dis-satisfaction with the product - wondering whether this will be forgotten or will have lasting impact on their reputations.  not being in the pepper business, i'm guessing that they projected only a couple of years (max) until the reaper is reduced to a commodity.  (don't assign this project to me . . . i'm way too old and already have my mba).

semillas said:
Right !

Anything else has no binding character if there doesn´t exist a written and signed contract.

Peter
And as I'm states Peter, I'm not a lawyer and am not debating the legality of things. I'm a pepper grower, that's all. My intent of the video was to simply give a PERSPECTIVE and OPINION of the reaper. With a pool of 2200 plants, it was a good amount to get stats of good vs not good. Does that mean its an exact science? Of course not. But I'd say its pretty good to probe the consistency. And regardless of what you personally think, my seeds were not hand selected. I have no ties to the reaper. Not my pepper, just one I many I'm growing. But I do believe its a unique pepper and a very good pepper. Not here to argue.

What does it matter if is close Relation to a Primo both are said to be 50% from a Nuga,  I could breed a Reaper to a Primo and call it a "Primo Reaper" then pick only ones that looked like a Reaper it still be my breeding, and I could get a trademark for Primo Reapers!

If you want to use a trademarked product to make money you have to get the ok from the guy Co. that has it in the first place. being were talking about peppers why is there so much heated debate? oh maybe I know people that want to make money can't? How many other Supper hots out there that you can sale with out worry?  

Why not Breed your own supper hot and make a name for yourself as the breeder of your own Supper hot maybe with the right breeding every plant will be stable and have a SUV of 2 Mill. and will be the Hottest pepper in the world and have people knocking down your door.  I am sure with Lab testing of  every plant and breeding right a 2 mil. SUV strain can be breed. 

Mr. Hill said:
What does it matter if is close Relation to a Primo both are said to be 50% from a Nuga,  I could breed a Reaper to a Primo and call it a "Primo Reaper" then pick only ones that looked like a Reaper it still be my breeding, and I could get a trademark for Primo Reapers!

If you want to use a trademarked product to make money you have to get the ok from the guy Co. that has it in the first place. being were talking about peppers why is there so much heated debate? oh maybe I know people that want to make money can't? How many other Supper hots out there that you can sale with out worry?  

Why not Breed your own supper hot and make a name for yourself as the breeder of your own Supper hot maybe with the right breeding every plant will be stable and have a SUV of 2 Mill. and will be the Hottest pepper in the world and have people knocking down your door.  I am sure with Lab testing of  every plant and breeding right a 2 mil. SUV strain can be breed. 
Amen

semillas said:
Right !

Peter

That's not entirely true. There is this fantastic piece of technology called the internet archive. Unfortunately this page hasn't been backed up many times, but the latest one prior to the May 2013 change is from September 1st 2012. 

As of September 1st 2012 there was no mention of seed purchases in the terms & conditions section. See for yourself here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120901023948/http://puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/terms-and-conditions/

Or I've screenshotted it here. I'm not embedding it because it's literally a screenshot of the whole page:

http://i.imgur.com/S5n7FPb.png

Also note on their website it says that they can change the terms at any time & they go into effect 1 day after the change. 

hwvnJuV.png

So to me that sounds like if you bought seeds prior to the May 1st, 2013 update you can do whatever the hell you want with them. 

BjTIh4x.gif

Mr. Hill said:
You can always do as you want till you get in trouble  lol 

Lol I'm just reading what they wrote, they're the ones who said the terms go into effect 1 day after they're posted. Pretty sure you can't retroactively change the terms of an agreement, so if that wasn't there when seeds were purchased I have a hard time believing they have a leg to stand on in court. 

I guess it's fortunate that I don't buy into hype and won't pay $15 for 10 seeds, so I have nothing I can get in trouble with. And you bet your ass I'll never give a dime to a company that has the balls to try and tell me what I can and can't do with the fruit I grow from their seeds.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't represent Ed so check with him or his team first...but...

I HIGHLY doubt a small guy making a few bucks from reapers is going to have any legal issues. Now if your a guy like me or pepper rich farms who sells bulk amounts, that's probably a different story. If your making $50,000 off his hard work, yea I'd be a bit upset also if I was Ed. I personally have NEVER heard Ed say anything about suing someone. He's stated publicly he grows peppers. His lawyers handle the legal stuff and accountants handle the money. So again check with Ed. You'll be surprised how nice he is. I doubt he would take issue with smaller operations doing things. My OPINION not legal advice.

Back