• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Just noticed while adjusting the bamboo skewers that are holding my plants up, and my tallest Reaper plant has it's first plant bud. It's way too small to be photographed just yet, but I'm excited! :)

3/5King said:
Congrats Elcap!

Thank you, kind sir. And make that two buds! The 2nd one was hidden by a new leaf! And for the record, I LOOOOVE liquid worm castings. The tallest plant has almost doubled in size, and that's with just two applications of foliar spray, and the rest have grown significantly

TylerInNiagara said:

I did not see this warning on pepperjoe's website and he points out that his customers have made good money from plants and produce sales.

Penny's Tomatoes and Pepper Joe's

"Make your Day off.....PAY off"... Pam in Seattle makes 100's of $$$ profit on her tomato seeds by selling tomato plants. Many customers sell their tomatoes and peppers and plants. One cool guy, Dave Klein that is a member here....sold one Carolina Reaper plant for $25.....and another for $50. GO DAVE!!! This is America and Capitalism and a Free Economy at it's finest. A few folks have said "I can't afford to buy Seeds this year"....with a little entrepreneurial spirit...You can't afford NOT buy seeds this year. www.pepperjoe.com

I'm that cool guy that he is talking about. :) This is on his Facebook page right now. If it were illegal for me to make a couple of bucks from selling Carolina Reaper plants then why would this man post this? It seems very encouraging to me. I have posted publicly on this forum and on Pepper Joe's Facebook page. I'm willing to say that even Ed Currie has probably read about my few sales. I have not been contacted by any attorneys. I haven't seen any pics or screenshots from any lawyers telling anyone to stop.  If I am contacted then y'all will be next in line to know about it.

Ocho Cinco said:
I'm that cool guy that he is talking about. :) This is on his Facebook page right now. If it were illegal for me to make a couple of bucks from selling Carolina Reaper plants then why would this man post this? It seems very encouraging to me. I have posted publicly on this forum and on Pepper Joe's Facebook page. I'm willing to say that even Ed Currie has probably read about my few sales. I have not been contacted by any attorneys. I haven't seen any pics or screenshots from any lawyers telling anyone to stop.  If I am contacted then y'all will be next in line to know about it.

I'm also curious to see how this plays out.

I was personally contacted by Pepper Joe just the other day (I hope he doesn't mind if I relay this), but at the time he agreed to give me permission, it was prior to him knowing all the eventual details. He gave me permission to resell Reapers and Reaper-based products with the information he had. I thought it was cool and very stand-up of him to reach out to me the other day and let me know that had he known at the time what Ed Curry wound up doing, his answer would most likely have been different, and he wished me the best of luck, especially with the fact I have other peppers seeds I can (and will) eventually sow. As I said, I thought it was really cool of him to reach out to me like that. I'll definitely do business with Pepper Joe again! :)

I realize this is pretty late in this part of the discussion, and I don't know if anyone else has done this already, but I went on Ed Curry's website for selling peppers, and nowhere on the site that I could find, did he say that he was disallowing the sale of any Reaper pods or products based on the CR pepper, or with the pepper included asn an ingredient. I even put 5 packs of CR pepper seeds in a cart just in case, there was no pop up notification and nothing on the page for them that said anything of the sort. So with that being said, where exactly does Ed specify that any CR pods, seeds, or CR based products can't be sold by those who grow them...

elcap1999 said:
I realize this is pretty late in this part of the discussion, and I don't know if anyone else has done this already, but I went on Ed Curry's website for selling peppers, and nowhere on the site that I could find, did he say that he was disallowing the sale of any Reaper pods or products based on the CR pepper, or with the pepper included asn an ingredient. I even put 5 packs of CR pepper seeds in a cart just in case, there was no pop up notification and nothing on the page for them that said anything of the sort. So with that being said, where exactly does Ed specify that any CR pods, seeds, or CR based products can't be sold by those who grow them...
 It is under the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the page in extra small print - you click on the Terms and conditions link and it takes you to the page with the terms and under section B Seed Purchases states the following :

B. Seed Purchases
Seeds purchased through PBPC, LLC, or its affiliates, along with plants and peppers grown therefrom, shall be used for personal and non-commercial purposes only. Any reproduction or redistribution of seeds or plants therefrom, or commercial use of peppers grown from these seeds, or derivatives thereof, is prohibited without the express written consent of PBPC, LLC, or its affiliates. In so purchasing seeds through PBPC, LLC, or its affiliates, you expressly agree to these terms and conditions of sale.

JDFan said:
 It is under the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the page in extra small print - you click on the Terms and conditions link and it takes you to the page with the terms and under section B Seed Purchases states the following :

Thanks! The million dollar question though, how many of us went to and read those Terms & Conditions when we purchased seeds from either Ed or Pepper Joe? Granted, it doesn't mean that it's still not binding to anyone who doesn't read it, but I imagine it's come as a surprise to most.

elcap1999 said:

Thanks! The million dollar question though, how many of us went to and read those Terms & Conditions when we purchased seeds from either Ed or Pepper Joe?

thats not the million dollar Q. ... You simply DONT have to worry if you bought seeds from Mr. A ... and Mr. B has this kind of disclaimer running on a different site ...

How in the world should you (joe sixpack) be knowing that A and B have a businness agreement. How should you be knowing that A buys the seeds from B. Would you have to worry about a disclaimer on IBMs website if you bought a computer at wally world? I think not :D

if they have one, its just binding for them, but not for you.

cheers, Al

Al-from-Chile said:

thats not the million dollar Q. ... You simply DONT have to worry if you bought seeds from Mr. A ... and Mr. B has this kind of disclaimer running on a different site ...

How in the world should you (joe sixpack) be knowing that A and B have a businness agreement. How should you be knowing that A buys the seeds from B. Would you have to worry about a disclaimer on IBMs website if you bought a computer at wally world? I think not :D

if they have one, its just binding for them, but not for you.

cheers, Al

Actually that is probably why you don't hear much from PJ right now as it would ultimately get him involved in any litigation - figure if Ed does try to enforce the terms and the person he attempts to sue bought the seeds from PJ they surely would bring up the point and that would mean that either Ed or the person being sued by ED could Sue PJ - Depending on if ED has made PJ sign any agreement saying he would conform to Ed's little Terms and conditions and failed to notify the end buyer of the seeds of the limitation or was not told of the policy pretty much negating the chance to enforce it on anyone !

JDFan said:

Actually that is probably why you don't hear much from PJ right now as it would ultimately get him involved in any litigation - figure if Ed does try to enforce the terms and the person he attempts to sue bought the seeds from PJ they surely would bring up the point and that would mean that either Ed or the person being sued by ED could Sue PJ - Depending on if ED has made PJ sign any agreement saying he would conform to Ed's little Terms and conditions and failed to notify the end buyer of the seeds of the limitation or was not told of the policy pretty much negating the chance to enforce it on anyone !

Which is probably what happened to a fair chunk of us, including myself. All the CR seeds I've ever purchased were from PepperJoe.

elcap1999 said:

I'm also curious to see how this plays out.

I was personally contacted by Pepper Joe just the other day (I hope he doesn't mind if I relay this), but at the time he agreed to give me permission, it was prior to him knowing all the eventual details. He gave me permission to resell Reapers and Reaper-based products with the information he had. I thought it was cool and very stand-up of him to reach out to me the other day and let me know that had he known at the time what Ed Curry wound up doing, his answer would most likely have been different, and he wished me the best of luck, especially with the fact I have other peppers seeds I can (and will) eventually sow. As I said, I thought it was really cool of him to reach out to me like that. I'll definitely do business with Pepper Joe again! :)

Ed Currie has never personally told anyone that they were going to be sued for selling reaper products to my knowledge. I realize this is the major buzz going around but unless I missed something I'd like to know when and where Ed posted this. Can someone send me a link to anything anywhere where Ed said this? And with all respect to Joe, and nothing against Joe, but IF Ed would have said this (which he didnt), Joe doesn't own the rights to the Reaper, he simply sells it via Ed Currie and PBPC and doesnt have the rights to say sell or dont sell. That authority only belongs to Ed Currie and his business..but as I stated, I don't know of anywhere where Ed has said he will take legal action against anyone.

There was a post on Facebook, Mike you were involved, Ed said his seeds, pods, and byproducts could not be sold unless he had a signed contract with the seller. Duffy was in the conversation as well. I seen it, but have not been able to go back and find it. Then discussion turned to lawyers and ED, said he did not get iinvolved in such, he left that to his lawyers. There was talk of MONSANTO like tactics and a lot of other crap.
I seen it.
Then, maybe not in the same conversation, I was there when PepperRich had some question about a lack of information pertaining to the
legalities of reselling creepers and Ed had his lawyers contact Rich. This was according to Rich sine I have no access to his email conversation with the lawyers...this is not a conspiracy theory I seen the converastions on fFacebook.

I know the thread your referring to and no place on there did I ever see ed say that. What little stuff has been brought up Ed said he has lawyers that deal with legal matters and accountants for money matters, he grows peppers. If you can find that on FB let me know because i do not remember Ed ever saying he was going to sue anyone.

Back