• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

TylerInNiagara said:

"A strain" should be original and genuine if not Penny/PJ sell dried pods $20+4 sh
Yes but IIRC those are deseeded pods left overs from when they remove the seeds to sell - so wouldn't be of much use for seeds !

Ok...so I finally tasted the Naga looking Reaper pods of my other plant. I don't wanna stir up any more controversy...just give my opinion on flavor. I ate half a pod and it was very sweet upfront without the perfume aftertaste. It is very much like a yellow pod with regards to sweetness without the added citrus flavor most yellows and oranges have. Heat wise...it was no record breaker, but it was pretty damn hot. On par with a typical Bhut or Naga, but with much better flavor. The plant's size is not huge, but it is a MONSTER producer. I pulled over a hundred ripe pods last weekend off the one plant...and will pull another hundred+ this weekend. My true Reapers are also a small grower, but they're also lacking in the production department. Not terrible, but most nodes with only one pod and pulling handfulls vs bucket loads. I still haven't "sacked" up to eat one of the true ones...but I have a several nice true to form ones ripening and will try to get to it.

Here are some pod pics of the Naga-Like plant/pods:
tHhAMKB.jpg

W8ceZCb.jpg

In this photo they are the strip of red pods to the left of the 4 Anaheims near the center. The two pods to the lower right of the blue tile area are the true to form Reapers...

bSt1wvg.jpg

eDGx3SO.jpg

Bottom line is...I LIKE 'EM!!! I don't care if they're not as sexy, anything that tastes and produces like this plant is a winner!

stc3248 said:
Ok...so I finally tasted the Naga looking Reaper pods of my other plant. I don't wanna stir up any more controversy...just give my opinion on flavor. I ate half a pod and it was very sweet upfront without the perfume aftertaste. It is very much like a yellow pod with regards to sweetness without the added citrus flavor most yellows and oranges have. Heat wise...it was no record breaker, but it was pretty damn hot. On par with a typical Bhut or Naga, but with much better flavor. The plant's size is not huge, but it is a MONSTER producer. I pulled over a hundred ripe pods last weekend off the one plant...and will pull another hundred+ this weekend. My true Reapers are also a small grower, but they're also lacking in the production department. Not terrible, but most nodes with only one pod and pulling handfulls vs bucket loads. I still haven't "sacked" up to eat one of the true ones...but I have a several nice true to form ones ripening and will try to get to it.

Here are some pod pics of the Naga-Like plant/pods:
tHhAMKB.jpg

W8ceZCb.jpg

In this photo they are the strip of red pods to the left of the 4 Anaheims near the center. The two pods to the lower right of the blue tile area are the true to form Reapers...

bSt1wvg.jpg

eDGx3SO.jpg

Bottom line is...I LIKE 'EM!!! I don't care if they're not as sexy, anything that tastes and produces like this plant is a winner!
 Shane, I knew you would like them! Way better taste than the true Reaper and way more productive. This one's going to be on my list next year as well, I'm really glad I had one of those seeds in my pack...the "Funky Reaper" rules!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-keywords=worm+castings

[SIZE=10.5pt]I get my dry worm castings from Amazon.com     [/SIZE] I use an electric paint mixer at low speed for about 24 hrs to "brew": 1/2 cup dry castings mixed into 5 gal. bucket of rainwater plus a little organic compost add veggie/fruit peelings from kitchen waste or unsulphured molasses. The castings go a long way as their main contribution is not food, the 'magic' is in the bacteria within the worm poop.  It grows in the tea mix and sets up a symbiotic colony with plant roots to promote micro nutrient transfer feeding that gives amazing results. This is the same system that provides the efficient nutrition to your famous Canadian maple trees!  The Maple roots exude sugars to feed the bacteria that in turn break down the soil nutrients into small enough particles to be absorbed by the large roots..Without the proper bacteria Maple roots are not fine enough for efficient absorption of necessary micronutrients. Search for posts here on THC.- it really is economical even if the shipping costs seem high.. IMHO really worth the effort.  One tip – use it all in 24 to 48 hrs. or it can start to stink, spread any extra on your lawn and shrubs. 

SanPatricio said:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-keywords=worm+castings

[SIZE=10.5pt]I get my dry worm castings from Amazon.com     [/SIZE] I use an electric paint mixer at low speed for about 24 hrs to "brew": 1/2 cup dry castings mixed into 5 gal. bucket of rainwater plus a little organic compost add veggie/fruit peelings from kitchen waste or unsulphured molasses. The castings go a long way as their main contribution is not food, the 'magic' is in the bacteria within the worm poop.  It grows in the tea mix and sets up a symbiotic colony with plant roots to promote micro nutrient transfer feeding that gives amazing results. This is the same system that provides the efficient nutrition to your famous Canadian maple trees!  The Maple roots exude sugars to feed the bacteria that in turn break down the soil nutrients into small enough particles to be absorbed by the large roots..Without the proper bacteria Maple roots are not fine enough for efficient absorption of necessary micronutrients. Search for posts here on THC.- it really is economical even if the shipping costs seem high.. IMHO really worth the effort.  One tip – use it all in 24 to 48 hrs. or it can start to stink, spread any extra on your lawn and shrubs. 

Most sellers on amazon will not ship to Canada....

Can anyone growing these out and getting the correct pods comment on the comparison to Primos? Taste? Heat? etc

The plants that do exhibit the correct shapes ( like the primos ) seem to have a similar structure and prolificacy. 

These Primos were sent to me this year and its the first time I've grown them. The heat seem about the same as a scorpion or brainstrain. 

9467025442_57f2e79e19_b.jpg

stc3248 said:
I have correct ones...and will have both ripe this weekend. Ughhh...I suppose I will get to it!
I'm looking forward to the comparison, haven't had the chance to taste the Primo yet. I didn't think the "true Reaper" was that much hotter than the "Funky Reaper", and it lacked the great taste....

TylerInNiagara said:
well My Butch T's don't have much of a tail either this year so it's probably an environmental thing I have another HP22B with a million flowers really large canopy just waiting for bees to pollinate it. (overnight temperatures have been crap for the last week and a half)

2cekjyb.jpg

601407_10153075653115462_642332238_n.jpg

Not sure if this is from the first or second pack of seeds both from pepperjoe.

Pepper-Guru said:
Peppers not looking the same the following year would likely indicate a cross. Growing conditions don't change pod shapes.
Size, heat level, taste etc yes... But not shape.

The seeds are from Pepperjoe.com all were started indoors then taken to the greenhouse and hand pollinated except that one from the last picture. The outside temperatures this year suck so I have had to move that plant into the outer greenhouse if you watched Mike's video he had a few with odd pod shapes.

I got a pod from Steven (standyandfire) and it is the largest, gnarliest reaper I have ever seen.  I know, I know, pics...It is late, I am drinking, and ill take a lightbox pic tomorrow of it.  Just dream about it.  :)

Back