• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Been gone for a bit and quite surprised to see this debate still going on. Put me on the side of the skeptics ie., this pepper wasn't stable prior to selling seeds. Just my opinion. I bought a packet of seeds from Joe and said I would refrain from commenting until I got pods of my own. Sorry to say the plants were hit with a herbacide and the ones that did produce pods are very mishaped. Almost like they're mutants. So I'll keep my opinions about the Reaper to myself for now. I will say this, I hope everyone who paid for the seeds are happy with the results and if they're not I hope the sellers treat them with honesty and integrity.

Good luck to all.

Haha. Ted's reviews have gotten better. No more whipped cream or icecream. Still spitting but not like before. The man has guts (or lack there of :)). I'm scared to eat one whole super. I wouldn't even consider two. I guess there will be an HP22G AND Death Pepper craze next year. HP22B? No way. That's sooooo last year. Doh!

not a great picture you can't really see the tail (unimpressive and tiny) first nearly ripe pod on a plant grown with pepperjoe.com seeds. (I'm not pissed I don't really care about the looks as long as it's hot and tastes good) Edit: I just opened the pod the seeds were dark the tail (the black withered spot at the bottom) probably some nutrient issue (I did folliar feed with kelp and potash last week)

sb78r8.jpg

well My Butch T's don't have much of a tail either this year so it's probably an environmental thing I have another HP22B with a million flowers really large canopy just waiting for bees to pollinate it. (overnight temperatures have been crap for the last week and a half)

2cekjyb.jpg

Yup that's why I wasn't going to take a pic but I thought what the heck...Today's high 22°C 72°F 57°F overnight or 14°C I might need to setup my timer and lights in the greenhouse or disconnect the automatic vents.

it dropped to 12C overnight strange summer...

The Hippy Seed Company
Liked · 3 minutes ago

So busy these days.. Germination time
1098534_10150330510869978_858284406_n.jpg

Looks like the second year of the Hippy Seed Company growing them.

TylerInNiagara said:
not a great picture you can't really see the tail (unimpressive and tiny) first nearly ripe pod on a plant grown with pepperjoe.com seeds. (I'm not pissed I don't really care about the looks as long as it's hot and tastes good) Edit: I just opened the pod the seeds were dark the tail (the black withered spot at the bottom) probably some nutrient issue (I did folliar feed with kelp and potash last week)

sb78r8.jpg
Are you joking or serious? It's hard to differentiate in the Reaper world. Get a pic of the top of a pod and a leaf or node if you could. I would guess that is C.annuum.

Pr0digal_son said:
Are you joking or serious? It's hard to differentiate in the Reaper world. Get a pic of the top of a pod and a leaf or node if you could. I would guess that is C.annuum.

I'm serious the only plants I grew in that part of my basement (and brought into my greenhouse) were HP22B, Butch T, Ghost and Giant ghost all seeds from pepperjoe.com. The tail withered away (the dark spot at the bottom) and the seeds were dark (Probably some nutrient issue) so I added some Myco Tea and some more dirl/coir  new buds are forming.

Back