• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Thought I would just add a few words about the pods , from what I've seen they are one mean looking pepper.
I will have to shell out a few bucks and get some of those seeds. I had planned to get some in Feb. but decided to wait and see how they turned out for every one. Can't wait to see what they look like in a mass picking from some of the serious growers, i will have to make room for a few plants next year for sure, as I know my brother and his son will want to try some, I wonder how hot they are compared to a Infinity or Brain Strain, I'm sure that they will be way hotter, I am interested in how they taste.
Well good luck and hope every one has a great season.

It's been a while since I updated my Reaper in this thread.  It has been finicky about setting pods, but it is finally starting to. 

The first few pods look hab-like, but the more recent ones are looking more wrinkly. 

romy6 said:
 Nice plant Brent. Me likey!!!

Here is a close up of my first reaper. Getting more wrinkly everyday. Have 3 pods now and many more flowers:)

Wicked looking pod, Jaime!  Florida is a lot closer to the Carolinas than California, me guesses.  ;)

update on my indoor reaper!

had a mishap with the ph, it dropped well below 5.0..some how....dont know how that got past me..it dropped all its flowers and alot of its leaves. Changed the nutrients again and its all going very well now, its a very thick and bushy plant now with buds all over it, there must be hundreds.
Still dropping flowers, but three have set. I'll see if the next wave of flowers coming hang on, and if not I'll change nutrients again and try a different ratio.

photos dont seem to do it justice...looks bigger in real life.

P1030883_zpsef23e064.jpg
[/url]
P1030892_zpsc9eb33bb.jpg
[/url]
P1030885_zpsec1b58c7.jpg
[/url]

OK, so I officially have a total of 7 sprouts of my Reaper seeds :) The first sprout already has it's first set of true leaves emerging. I have them in a vertical growhouse at them moment on a heating pad, and under a 125w CFL on for 24/7 thus far...

Here's my reaper in a 10 gallon root pouch. Nice and bushy

null_zps17f670b8.jpg

and here are my reaper pods (NOT!) I got these seeds from puckerbutt direct! Hope its just the early pods that look like this! lol

null_zpsb68e3c60.jpg

i0ukTeS.jpeg

Still growing

Super David said:
update on my indoor reaper!

had a mishap with the ph, it dropped well below 5.0..some how....dont know how that got past me..it dropped all its flowers and alot of its leaves. Changed the nutrients again and its all going very well now, its a very thick and bushy plant now with buds all over it, there must be hundreds.
Still dropping flowers, but three have set. I'll see if the next wave of flowers coming hang on, and if not I'll change nutrients again and try a different ratio.

photos dont seem to do it justice...looks bigger in real life.

P1030883_zpsef23e064.jpg
[/url]
P1030892_zpsc9eb33bb.jpg
[/url]
P1030885_zpsec1b58c7.jpg
[/url]
That is a freaking tree! Nice super d!

PepperJam said:
Here's my reaper in a 10 gallon root pouch. Nice and bushy

null_zps17f670b8.jpg

and here are my reaper pods (NOT!) I got these seeds from puckerbutt direct! Hope its just the early pods that look like this! lol

null_zpsb68e3c60.jpg
 Dang PJ those pods look just like my yellow primo plant. Not a reaper:( Not that mine look very primoish either)

Inspected my two plants today and they're starting to load up...Got the seeds from Brent (DocNrock)...

Plant 1:
6gZTtGx.jpg

CirwFnt.jpg

Same Pod different angle

nDRVfg6.jpg

EfdLj17.jpg

Hk9eAsn.jpg

One pod looks like this??? Oh well...the rest are looking pretty mean. Many more on this plant.

Plant 2:
A5Odop8.jpg

This is the first pod on here, there are a few more tiny ones. We'll see how they look in a week or two.

All in all, they look promising! Still small, hoping for some gnarly wrinkles as they start to inflate...Thanks for the seeds Doc!

Just transplanted my two tallest Reaper seedlings into some huge pots I got from Home Depot. I have 8 more on deck that I wanna wait until they get a couple more leaves before transplanting them. Here's pics of the potted Reapers...

Plant2-vi.jpg

Plant1-vi.jpg

Back