• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

I posted some pictures of Reaper pods over in my glog.  Sixth and seventh pictures down in the post.  (I'm only posting a link to avoid cross posting as per site rules, but this link will only work until my next title-changing update.)

More reaper photos

69DE0EB2-25A5-46E6-83EE-5EA35F89ED11-31597-00004B82C3AD752A_zps39bee277.jpg

One crazy plant here

FD7A46E7-8BE7-41AB-8DB1-4DEBB9B17F04-31597-00004B82CD4E1AFC_zps353e7bea.jpg

Pods on same plant as above pic some look kind of habby some look like morugas.

669DE6E2-9679-4670-AAE0-08D30D121BB5-31597-00004B82DD2AF4EB_zps68d6ccb9.jpg

Several plants with correct pod shape.

767BCF01-517E-4610-ACCE-A47E25C71735-31597-00004B82E40A44A7_zps3eb81998.jpg

One plant with pods like this.
Looks like the reaper is a cross of a little of every thing showing up.

I had three plants from the same seed package.  I bought the seeds from Puckerbutt.  One plant turned out to be chocolate habanero and the other two grew true.  I only managed to get one ripe off them both.  Very low producer for me and a late one.  Great tasting pod though.  I'd say the best tasting one i grew this year.  Horrible cramps though.  I ate less than half the pod and the mouth burn wasn;t too bad but the stomach was horrible.  I will be trying again to grow this soon.

Kind of funny but I had ordered some seeds to grow some CR and figured I would wait till February or so before I started to grow them to go outside since I don't have any more light room in my garage space for over winter. But being the curious bone head that I am I threw one of them in a solo cup with some of my soil at my desk at work. That was two weeks ago....and look who has shown up! HA
82962fe2-3d18-4d35-a12f-61ace8cf3f95_zps019f84f7.jpg

jg0dpv.jpg

The flavor is ok, to the extent I can tell these things.  I got a sort of nutty-fruity taste from the little bit I tried.  The heat is definitely there, but I wouldn't try to make a ranking based on one little taste.  The plants seem neither particularly vigorous nor prolific, though.  That, together with the whole trademark thing, makes this a candidate to be dropped from next year's grow list.  I may try to OW one or two.

Nice looking pods Sawyer!

Mine grew in a vigorous manner but wouldn't set pods until mid Sept. Now they're 5' and simply loaded. I'm already planting for next year, and no Reapers in my project, however I'll OW the one in the 20gal bag. Now the Naga looking one has been pounding pods the whole time, and they're mas hot and taste good. Trying to decide whether to clone it or dig it up....

Devv said:
Nice looking pods Sawyer!

Mine grew in a vigorous manner but wouldn't set pods until mid Sept. Now they're 5' and simply loaded. I'm already planting for next year, and no Reapers in my project, however I'll OW the one in the 20gal bag. Now the Naga looking one has been pounding pods the whole time, and they're mas hot and taste good. Trying to decide whether to clone it or dig it up....
Thanks, Scott.  Mine got a late start, so I may be short shrifting them on vigor and prolific...ness.  I really like my one funky-style plant.  I'll post a picture of pod or two from it soon.

Devv said:
Funky Reaper...

Yeah, that's what the pods on one of my plants look like.  A few of the pods are just starting to show color.  I'm going to leave them on for awhile so the seeds will hopefully have a chance to mature.  Have you tried one yet?  How are they on heat and flavor?

Sawyer said:

Yeah, that's what the pods on one of my plants look like.  A few of the pods are just starting to show color.  I'm going to leave them on for awhile so the seeds will hopefully have a chance to mature.  Have you tried one yet?  How are they on heat and flavor?
They taste better than the true Reapers, and just a little lower on the heat scale...but not much. This plant is on it's 3rd load up, it's about 5x5 now. So many pods it's branches are sagging.

Hey, that's all Scott (Devv).  I'm just co-opting his nomenclature because as best I can tell those pods look like his "funky reapers".

I had some seeds sent to me from a good friend here it will be nice to see, just what mine will look like, it seems that there is a lot of different shapes being thrown out from a F8 pepper.
I don't mine but it would be great if I grow the correct pheno type, I wonder what the odds are on that happening.
Just how large are the ones with the correct shape and size? some that I have seen arn't very large.
Also Taste wise with a 1 being the worst and 10 being the best,
just where does the reaper stand,  and do some of the Funky types taste better than the correct shaped pepper?

Back