• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

catchthebear 2019

Hello everyone. 

It's my first time posting a grow log here, so if I do something wrong please yell at me.  

I finally had time to put together a list of all the peppers I have started this year.  I also relabeled every plant with giant labels using a grease pencil.   I'm tired of running into mystery plants halfway through the season!

It's a busy time of year at work for me, but things are finally starting to slow down a hair.  

Still haven't pushed my babies out of the nest yet.  Had some hail a couple days ago that scared me off putting them out.  Maybe next week. :)

I plan to put about half of them in the ground and the other half in pots.  Would like to be able to easily isolate certain varieties when they start flowering.  

I've also decided that this is my last year using the double cup method.  Big pain in the ass. 

Still looking for some Tovarii seeds too. Don't intend to start any more seeds this year, but hope to run across some before next season.  

Hope everyone has a good season ahead.  
Cheers,
Matt

------

Here's my list of my plants this year along with some photos below. May be some spelling errors, etc.  Please let me know if you notice something that needs correcting.  

* 7 Pot Congo
* 7 Pot Lava
* 7 Pot Slimer
* Aji Chuncho
* Aji Guyana
* Aji Lemon
* Aji Mango
* Aji Rainforest
* Ancient
* Angkor Sunrise
* Arrowhead
* BBG7 Jobito Chocolate
* BBG7 X Tobasco
* Bahamian Goat
* Banglador Whippet's Tail
* Bhut X Lime
* Biberie
* Big Bang Space Chili
* Big Black Mama
* Biquinho
* Biquinho Iracema
* Bird Aji
* Black Namaqualand
* Black Olive
* Black Stinger
* Black Variegated
* Bleeding Borg 9
* Bleeding Heart Yellow
* Bloody Riot Orange
* Blue Ghost
* Bolivian Rainbow
* Bonda Mahala
* Brazilian Pumpkin
* Brazilian Starfish Orange
* Buena Mulata
* CGN 191998 Eximium
* CGN 21566
* CGN 22795
* CGN 22835
* CGN 23209
* CGN 23255
* CGN 24360
* Cap 1141
* Cap 1144 Praetermissium
* Cap 115
* Cap 1478
* Cap 212
* Cap 470 Eximium
* Cap 500 Eximium
* Cap 691 Red Fire
* Cap 962
* Cap Cardenasii
* Cap Chacoense
* Cap Flexuosum
* Cap Galapagoense
* Cap Lanceolatum
* Cap Rhomboideum
* Capezoli Scimmia
* Carbonara Red
* Carbonara White
* Carolina Reaper
* Carolina Reaper X Peach Ghost
* Carolina Reaper Yellow
* Chocolate Congo X Gigantic Ghost
* Chocolate Ghost Jami
* Chupetino Pink
* Condor's Beak
* Count Dracula
* Cumari Pollux
* Devil's Rib
* Dwarf Chiltepin
* Ekirike
* Elephant
* Elysium Oxide Mustard
* Farmer's Market Jalapeno
* Fatali Gourmet Jigsaw
* Fidalgo Roxa
* Fruit Gum F3
* Funky Yellow
* Galapagos Isabela Habanero
* Goat Pepper
* Goatsweed
* Holiday Time
* Hot Pops Purple
* Inca Drop
* Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
* Khang's Lemon Starrburst
* Khang's Texas Crimson Bonnet
* Krishna Jolokia
* Lemon Habanero
* MA Face
* Macapa
* Machu Picchu
* Mata Fride
* Midnight BBG7
* Mini Rocoto Red
* Mojo Scoundrel
* Monkey Face Yellow
* Monkey Nipple
* Murupi
* Murupi Amarela
* Mutant Candlelight
* NOT Buforum
* NOT Parvifol
* NOT Sepia Serpent
* Nosegay
* Orange Bleeder
* Orange Blob
* PI 281312
* PI 281317
* PI 439452
* PI 43952
* PI 441598 Peach F3
* PI 543208
* Paprika Alma
* Peach Fantasy
* Peach Scorpion
* Peruvian Serlano
* Peter Orange
* Peter Red
* Piaxo Neyde
* Pimenta Kathumby Black
* Pimenta Lisa
* Pink Tiger X Peach Bhut
* Primo X Lemon Drop
* Purple Creme Tiger
* Purple Flower Baccatum Long
* Quintisho
* Red Lightning Habanero
* Red Rocket
* Rezha Macedonian
* Rocopica
* Rocoto Aji Largo
* Rocoto De Las Selvas
* Rocoto San Isidro
* Rooster Spur
* Safi Red
* Salvatico
* Satan's Kiss
* Scarlet Lantern X CGN 21500
* Shu
* Slovakia #1
* Slovakia #3
* Sugar Rush Brains F1
* Sugar Rush Red
* Super Hot Beast
* Swamp Thing Yellow
* Tepin X Lemon Drop
* Thai Orange
* Thunder Mountain Longhorn
* Tobago Treasure
* Trinidad Perfume
* Trinidad Perfume Red
* Trinidad Purple Coffee
* Trinidad Red Cherry
* Turkish Cap Rojo
* Uvilia Grande
* Varigated Jalapeno
* Ven Tiger X SRTSL Red
* Venezuelan Purple
* Vladan Beauty
* Wartryx Grenade
* West Indies Red
* West Indies Yellow
* White Kanthari
* White Wasp
* Wild Brazil
* Wild Japanese (Tubocapsicum Anomalum)
* Wild Purple Guatemalan
* Wiri Wiri
* Yellow BBG7 x Butch T Scorpion

m7ocJLW.jpg
iBi0SoL.jpg
IdYgos5.jpg
6Y3nBf7.jpg
Hf9s7ba.jpg
CF4sG65.jpg
Ie54QQO.jpg
gOaxX28.jpg
wp4IByw.jpg
AZb9Saq.jpg
zmmdUc3.jpg
k5SutOk.jpg
dZ1XVAD.jpg

Ha!  I've gotten lazy before and divided a Chinet plate up like a pie with a Sharpie and then put different types of seeds in each "slice" to dry before bumping them and losing the whole batch to incurable mix-up. And that was just 6 or 7 varieties.  I can't imagine the initial freak-out of seeing the whole tower of power collapse.  It looks like a very efficient way of drying many varieties at once, provided there's no screw up...

Yeah I play a little, but I'm not a musician.  Listened to a couple of your tracks on bandcamp and enjoyed them.

CaneDog said:
Ha!  I've gotten lazy before and divided a Chinet plate up like a pie with a Sharpie and then put different types of seeds in each "slice" to dry before bumping them and losing the whole batch to incurable mix-up. And that was just 6 or 7 varieties.  I can't imagine the initial freak-out of seeing the whole tower of power collapse.  It looks like a very efficient way of drying many varieties at once, provided there's no screw up...

Yeah I play a little, but I'm not a musician.  Listened to a couple of your tracks on bandcamp and enjoyed them.
Aye, I put them in this cramped room to force me to work on them.  That was a mistake!

Those songs are damn near 15 years old now.  Time goes by pretty quick. 

Great work this season, 'Bear! Lots of variety and color.
I can see you are having fun with this! 

Have you settled on any favorite varieties now that you have
been at it three seasons?

PaulG said:
Great work this season, 'Bear! Lots of variety and color.
I can see you are having fun with this! 

Have you settled on any favorite varieties now that you have
been at it three seasons?

Thanks Paul :) It has been fun, but I haven't really been able to put the time I would have liked to into it this season.

I'm a big fan of anything weird and wild.  Probably will lean even more that way in the following years.  

I took all next week off of work, so I'll have time to get seeds ready, catch up on what everyone else has been up to and post a better update. :)

Haven't really been looking out for #1 these past few months and it's worn me down quite a lot.

Hang in there, friend! Remember, peppers first,
you second, everything else third ;)  Just kidding,
seriously you won't help yourself much if you
aren't taking care of yourself. the Garden should
be therapy not a chore, although it can sure feel
like that sometimes ! Have a great week off! Looking
forward to your update.

Thanks CD!  There are 'bout 20 varieties of peppers in that sauce (whatever I was removing seeds from at the time), along with tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, vinegar and a bit of salt/sugar to taste.  Made 48 bottles and sold it all already!  Need to make some more so I have some easy gifts ready to go.  

And thanks Paul! :)  I let those caterpillars have my dill.  They're monarchs.  The horn worms I find are not so lucky...

Tubocapsicum Anomalum are starting to ripen!  Pretty happy.  They take forever.     

Attachments

• 20191006_170758.jpg
    20191006_170758.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 71
CaneDog said:
I took it's time, but  :metal:

Nice work. Cool little pods.  And it looks like next season's already covered.
Lol, it took forever! They are almost berry-like.  I went to cut into it and it just kinda popped.  It didn't taste very good and there's no hint of spiciness. 

Looks like around 40 seeds in just that one pod.  There's maybe a dozen or so more pods that size still waiting to ripen, with many smaller ones on the way.  I just hauled it and most of my plants in last weekend sine it's supposed to get down there in temperature in the coming days. 

An interesting plant nonetheless. If ya want seeds for this guy, you're more than welcome to some :)

Someone shared this link with me on Facebook this morning, too.  Lots of info I hadn't seen before. 
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/239035396_The_genus_Tubocapsicum_Solanaceae

CaneDog said:
Thanks man!  It's supposed to be cold here the next couple nights, so I brought in lots too.  The Tovarii are among them and still haven't had a pod ripen, but they will eventually.  Would totally like to swap a few seeds with you after they do.

Right on.  :)  It's gonna be another few weeks before I get through most of my seeds and have something of an organized list I can share. Hope I have a decent selection for ya!

20191010_184030.jpg
20191005_151242.jpg
20191008_145853.jpg

It's supposed to dip down to 31F tonight, so I've picked most of what's out there and spent the past two nights hauling everything in that I'd like to keep. Even dug up a dozen or so plants and potted them up.  Outdoor growing is about over, I suppose.  

Attached a few pics from the past couple of days.  Still have a lot of seeds to process/label/organize/etc.  

Back