• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CMPMAN1974's 2011 Growing Log - Started 1/29/11

Well, I finally got motivated and dropped some seeds in my 162 count plug tray this afternoon. Filled up 100 of the spaces. It's always so hard to narrow anything down. I've got the seed tray on a heating mat calibrated to 86 degrees. Sowing so many individual varieties is always one huge chore. I kind of envy people like AJ planting 100 of the same variety.

I sowed a lot of C. chinenses, some wild bird types, and wild praetermissums and a few other wild species. There is nothing very common on this years' list. lol. :) Tons of strange super hot cross attempts from people. At least I've got a solid system now as far as spreadsheets and tracking.

I wish I had acres to grow all I want. I could really get carried away!

I'll start the Annuums and Baccatums in early March. I'm cutting way, way back on Rocotos. I struggled last year to get them to produce (well ripen) on time. I'm not a quitter by any means though. :)

I will be pretty much growing 100% in the ground this season. I don't feel like spending money on soil this year. I built three more 4' x 12' raised beds last Fall to add some growing space. I should be fine.

Chris

That's the most ridiculous amount of corking I've ever seen. Only you Chris, only you buddy. What are you calling it, Cantapeno or Jalalope?

The weirdest jalapeno EVER officially. They all look exactly like this. Covered in a 'potato-like' exterior. Interesting. :)

Chris

P1100009.jpg
That is actually quite disturbing. :shocked:

The weirdest jalapeno EVER officially. They all look exactly like this. Covered in a 'potato-like' exterior. Interesting. :)

Chris

P1100009.jpg

I bet it would still taste great stuffed with cheese, bacon, and chives! Baked potato, Baked potato jalapeno....Tomato, tomato...

patrick Jalalope thats hilaious!

chris have u tried? im sure heat and flavor is normal to jalapeno. is the interior the same? any differences besides the outer skin? cool pics as always bro

Cantapeno sounds like a good one. lol. :)

That's the most ridiculous amount of corking I've ever seen. Only you Chris, only you buddy. What are you calling it, Cantapeno or Jalalope?

I did not taste yet. I have a couple other on the plant. The first one had a bit of inside damage to it. I'm waiting for an untouched pod. The interior looks similar to other jalapenos.
patrick Jalalope thats hilaious!chris have u tried? im sure heat and flavor is normal to jalapeno. is the interior the same? any differences besides the outer skin? cool pics as always bro

Not that many seeds. Yes, they are insane looking inside. :)
oh yea! btw that aispies tiger pod is sick looking love the interior, did they have alot of seeds inside? :)

I kind of like Cantapeno myself.

Only 19 grams? I hope you weren't too disappointed with that Chris. ;) Hate to read "last C. chinense pod of the year." but time to face the truth. We'll be under freezing the next couple of mornings so my time is about done too.

I recall you saying your season started off very slow, how would you rate it now that it's about done?

Patrick, I'd give it a 7 of 10 maybe when it comes to production of the plants. GREAT for long season and full ripening of 95%+ of varieties. :) Last year, I had some plants that were significantly larger but that can be due to many reasons. I put out more plants that were in 2.5" square x 3.75" deep containers this year than last. Putting out larger plants in 4 or 4.5" square pots generates bigger plants at times. Again, tons of factors come into play. I'm not complaining. My goal is always to get ripe pods of rare stuff and save seeds and get enough to eat/process. Mission accomplished!!

Chris

Chris,

It looks like you had a great year. You also made next year look better for many of us with your magical seed train. Thanks!

Regards,
Edward

OK, here goes it. The last hurrah. :) My final new variety picture of the season. Almost all plants are pulled/done now. This one plant is truly intriguing. Seeds were given to me by Naga Jolokia Addict before he moved to TX. THis is officially the LONGEST season C annuum variety I've ever grown. I failed to get a ripe pod last year. The plant gets massive and the stem looks like a tree, but it takes so long to even set pods. Very different. Again, I have a plant so large it's tipping over, but what did I get....one ripe pod. lol.

Now the good part. These taste AWESOME IMO. I took a big bite and it had an amazing flavor and then whip slammed me with nice heat. Gosh, I wish I could grow this one better. Really enjoyed it. Thanks NJA. I'm just smiling because I beat it and got my ripe pod. LMAO.

Chris

P1100012.jpg

Whip slammed. Now that's a new one. Glad to hear you won the war and got a pod off of that selfish pepper tree. Congrats on another good season Chris.

It's getting close to closing time here too. Got my Muddy Waters CD primed and ready cause the blues be not far behind.

Thanks for sharing all of your harvest with us, Chris. What a great thread to follow. Can't wait till next year for your next chapter.

I'm enjoying the beginnings of my harvest now, but I've got work to do to catch up to you and others here!

Well, we had a 31 degree evening with hard frost yesterday. It's game over for the pepper plants. Well two SOMEHOW survived. lol.. Cumari Pollux. Those are some resilient suckers. That species is tougher than most along with C. Flexuosum. So two of 250+ live....At least there still is lettuce, swiss chard and leeks out in the garden and garlic sprouting again. Sad time of the year, but also a welcome relief after months and months of hard work. It's been another fun one as always. Lots of new stuff, lots of shared seeds, and plenty of processing. Let the good times roll, right?

Now it's time to kick back, put my feet up and watch the Aussies work their magic. I have a feeling JungleRain will be putting on a world-class show this season!!

Chris

So as the curtain closes 2 have stepped back out for an encore. I believe that will be an easier thing for you. Just curious, have you ever posted a pic of your garden? I am just curious how you do it with all the different species you grow.

Chris an absolutley amazing grow,the corking on that jalapeno is amazing and nice to see the Infinty has been grown by you a great pepper..fantastic selection of the finest peppers well done..again. :beer:

Back