• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Colors from your garden - a colorful thread

Bhuter said:
How about some neutral colors? I love fungus. [emoji265] I happened to find this while the dog-face was pinchin' a loaf outside.
DpyLjqO.jpg
Awesome, do you know what they are?

thegreenman said:
Awesome, do you know what they are?
I think I found it.

Dryad's Saddle
Pheasant Back Mushroom, Hawks Wing
(Polyporus squamosus)

Good 'ol Copy & Paste from mushroom-collecting.com below:

Preparation Once you have found tender specimens, they are best cooked straightaway. Like many other wild mushrooms the aroma is ephemeral often disappearing within hours. Tempura frying will retain some of this "watermelon" character. Sautéing or pan frying is a good way too. Slice them thin and cook them hard and fast. Overcooking will create toughness. I have tried drying them. They come out as very white, crunchy chips that are pleasant to eat dry. They retained more of that unique smell than I expected. I have made a powder with them but have not tried cooking with it yet but it looks and smells good. The microwave produced something you could make shoes with. I have had pretty good luck with tough ones though. I cooked them and put them in the blender with chicken stock blending until they were the consistency of a smoothie and then made mushroom soup. Really very good and not like any other. Nothing else tastes or smells like this mushroom. It is really very good when prepared correctly. I could easily identify it by the smell with my eyes closed. Maybe it would taste "mealy" if it was stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Actually, since different people perceive smell and taste differently your experience could be different.

I don't know...I still don't usually eat foreign/wild fungi. I even have questioned some home-cultivated specimens...
"I think I'll wait until Fred tries a piece. Lol. Where IS Fred?"
A whole party in unison: "BATHROOM!!!"

Lol

brought these in because of a chance of frost tonight. 

20190425_173250_resized.jpg

still in the flat, not planted yet.
20190423_180631_resized.jpg

my wife has to have one of these every year. 
20190428_190415_resized.jpg

this plant only has the 1 flower open but its loaded with buds. it has the weird hook thingy on the back of the flower. 
20190428_003717_resized.jpg

20190428_003727_resized.jpg

20190428_003738_resized.jpg

my wife always has geraniums and coleus every summer but we can`t find any coleus this year. a few years back we had a planter of coleus out on the front porch that was jaw dropping beautiful. so beautiful that someone stole it. 

Very nice, Nancy & Kevin! Colorful!

Kevin: Is that 3rd picture down a Bleeding Heart...or Fuchsia...not sure if those are the same or not. Lovely!

You painted that amazing flower specimen, right Nancy? ‍ Holy makerel...unbelievable colors!!! Huge, and uber bright! Fabuloso!

Ran around the yard taking pics of itty bitty flowers hiding in the grass.

9Vk2bBn.jpg

0HSa2lm.jpg

qCjXP4d.jpg

Some past friends! Old pics. The spider on the bottom right is chowin' on an aphid.
wEMUX9a.jpg

Various Capsicum Flowers
5lsRvHa.jpg

I have a lot of mushroom pictures as well. Would anybody be interested in seeing those? Don't be afraid to speak up or say no.

Bhuter said:
Thank you, GIP! Here ya go!
This made me laugh out loud! More than a few years back, I was diagnosed with kidney cancer and had my left kidney removed. While at home recuperating, my brother shows up, all proud of himself, and hands me a grocery bag just stuffed with Hen of the Woods. Any other time, I would have jumped on them, but, while teaching one kidney to do the work of two.....I think not! I graciously accepted the gift and tossed it in the compost after he left.

nmlarson said:
This made me laugh out loud! More than a few years back, I was diagnosed with kidney cancer and had my left kidney removed. While at home recuperating, my brother shows up, all proud of himself, and hands me a grocery bag just stuffed with Hen of the Woods. Any other time, I would have jumped on them, but, while teaching one kidney to do the work of two.....I think not! I graciously accepted the gift and tossed it in the compost after he left.
:rofl:
I kinda know what you mean on fungal intake. Back in 2007, I also had renal failure, liver and kidneys went Ka-put. Was put on a crazy no-copper diet. That really blows. That meant no nuts, shellfish, MUSHROOMS, chocolate, etc....all of the good stuff.

I hope things are looking up for you and you health is back to "stellar".

Bhuter said:
:rofl:
I kinda know what you mean on fungal intake. Back in 2007, I also had renal failure, liver and kidneys went Ka-put. Was put on a crazy no-copper diet. That really blows. That meant no nuts, shellfish, MUSHROOMS, chocolate, etc....all of the good stuff.

I hope things are looking up for you and you health is back to "stellar".
Things are looking great! I was one lucky Dudette! And, I hope the same for you, too.

Bhuter said:
You painted that amazing flower specimen, right Nancy? ‍ Holy makerel...unbelievable colors!!! Huge, and uber bright! Fabuloso!
Nope. Scout's Honor. It was actually a Lowe's purchase while wintering in Naples about 4 years ago. They were still selling them this past winter and I noticed them in more than a few newly landscaped properties. Every year, I cut the thing way back so it's easier to transport in the toad ("toad" = towed vehicle) and root a few of the cuttings. It seems to love being cut back.

nmlarson said:
Nope. Scout's Honor. It was actually a Lowe's purchase while wintering in Naples about 4 years ago. They were still selling them this past winter and I noticed them in more than a few newly landscaped properties. Every year, I cut the thing way back so it's easier to transport in the toad ("toad" = towed vehicle) and root a few of the cuttings. It seems to love being cut back.
Naples! Very nice! Italy or Florida? :rofl:

You have a great eye for jaw-dropping flora.

Bhuter said:
Naples! Very nice! Italy or Florida? :rofl:

You have a great eye for jaw-dropping flora.
Florida. My husband despises cold weather. I, on the other hand, love every season and would stay home, because moving twice a year is one big PITA. But, going to Florida essentially gives me an extended growing season, so I tolerate the moves, heat, humidity, bugs, snakes and alligators. We have a nice big coach, take the pets along, tow my Jeep and he hates dragging the plants back and forth, but that's a deal breaker for me.

nmlarson said:
Florida. My husband despises cold weather. I, on the other hand, love every season and would stay home, because moving twice a year is one big PITA. But, going to Florida essentially gives me an extended growing season, so I tolerate the moves, heat, humidity, bugs, snakes and alligators. We have a nice big coach, take the pets along, tow my Jeep and he hates dragging the plants back and forth, but that's a deal breaker for me.
Livin' the dream... At least Naples isn't a part of the Miami Metropolitan Asylum, we're extra special around here. [emoji2957][emoji1782][emoji857]

Bhuter said:
Very nice, Nancy & Kevin! Colorful!

Kevin: Is that 3rd picture down a Bleeding Heart...or Fuchsia...not sure if those are the same or not. Lovely!

Ran around the yard taking pics of itty bitty flowers hiding in the grass.

9Vk2bBn.jpg

0HSa2lm.jpg

qCjXP4d.jpg

Some past friends! Old pics. The spider on the bottom right is chowin' on an aphid.
wEMUX9a.jpg

Various Capsicum Flowers
5lsRvHa.jpg

I have a lot of mushroom pictures as well. Would anybody be interested in seeing those? Don't be afraid to speak up or say no.
hey Adam, it is a fuchsia. bleeding heart is different. you have some nice flowers also. 

Back