• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food Comida South America!

Don't ask, just make.

All citrus can work. Grapefruit ceviche and an IPA... mmmm

Still have to have limes imo. Other citrus is for depth. Lots of limes! Careful not to make it sweet.

The Hot Pepper said:
Don't ask, just make.

All citrus can work. Grapefruit ceviche and an IPA... mmmm

Still have to have limes imo. Other citrus is for depth. Lots of limes! Careful not to make it sweet.

There's a whole section of lemon-based from a neighboring country ...

Well I did say imo. :)

If they said "limon" (lee-moan) that is lime, well, it is also lemon lol. Don't look it up in a Spanish dictionary it won't help it will say lima is lime. But many countries use limon for lime. (CH73 chime in!!!!)

I don't doubt some use lemon though. But what did you read?

Lemon and lime are very different to me and for something like a grilled swordfish I would require lemon, S&P. But fish tacos, lime. Usually for Mexican and S. American, lime for me. It just ties in the ethnic flavor. However I have been known to lemon, not lime, my guac.

Limon

Nota-1155-la_fruta_del_dia_combatamos_el_estres_consumiendo_lima_1.jpg

Lima

beneficios_lima2.jpg

The citrus Peruvians use for ceviche is called limón sutil. I wish I could find a legit tree, I would buy one in a heartbeat. They are smaller fruit, a little bigger than a key lime, with seeds, and a different flavor than the Mexican limes sold in the States.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
The citrus Peruvians use for ceviche is called limón sutil. I wish I could find a legit tree, I would buy one in a heartbeat. They are smaller fruit, a little bigger than a key lime, with seeds, and a different flavor than the Mexican limes sold in the States.

Thanks! You are a walking Britannica Encyclopedia set. With editions P and NM. ;)

Grant, can you order those on Shipt? :lol:

You right THP... It seems that Peruvians call lemon to both types lemon. When it 's necessary to differentiate them, they called lemon or lime, otherwise lemon always they call to both types because the most widely used in Peru is the lime...

Here in the peruvian restaurants, they called lime at lime, and lemon at lemon, perhaps because here we call it.

We can get key limes here too, they make good ceviche. The limón sutil has a much higher acid content, and a different flavor than the key limes though. The higher acid content makes cooking time much quicker for ceviche. The quicker it cooks, the quicker you can eat it, the fresher it is. That's why you'll see Peruvian chefs squirt ime juice, and give it one or two mixes with the fish, then serve it 30 seconds after getting hit with lime juice. I cook mine for about 3-5 minutes with mexican or key limes. The trick is to mix salt very well in with the fish before adding any juices. I usually mix salt with the fish, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. The salt starts to pull the water/liquid from the fish meat, and you will see a little puddle of liquid forming on the bottom of the bowl. Once the puddle starts forming, you can hit it with the lime juice, and the fish meat will soak up the citrus like a sponge. It will be fully cooked in 3-5 minutes. This is the only method that I have been able to use that compensates for the low acidity in the limes in the U.S. I learned this trick at a ceviche class I attended last year taught by a well known Peruvian chef and restaurant owner.

cypresshill1973 said:
You right THP... It seems that Peruvians call lemon to both types lemon. When it 's necessary to differentiate them, they called lemon or lime, otherwise lemon always they call to both types because the most widely used in Peru is the lime...

Here in the peruvian restaurants, they called lime at lime, and lemon at lemon, perhaps because here we call it.

I knew I wasn't crazy, I mean I am but... haha thanks.

We can get key limes here to, they make good ceviche. The limón sutil has a much higher acid content, and a different flavor than the key limes though. The higher acid content makes cooking time much quicker for ceviche. The quicker it cooks, the quicker you can eat it, the fresher it is. That's why you'll see Peruvian chefs squirt ime juice, and give it one or two mixes with the fish, then serve it 30 seconds after getting hit with lime juice. I cook mine for about 3-5 minutes with mexican or key limes. The trick is to mix salt very well in with the fish before adding any juices. I usually mix salt with the fish, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. The salt starts to pull the water/liquid from the fish meat, and you will see a little puddle of liquid forming on the bottom of the bowl. Once the puddle starts forming, you can hit it with the lime juice, and the fish meat will soak up the citrus like a sponge. It will be fully cooked in 3-5 minutes. This is the only method that I have been able to use that compensates for the low acidity in the limes in the U.S. I learned this from a ceviche class I attended last year taught by a well known Peruvian chef and restaurant owner.

Awesome!

We can get key limes here too, they make good ceviche. The limón sutil has a much higher acid content, and a different flavor than the key limes though. The higher acid content makes cooking time much quicker for ceviche. The quicker it cooks, the quicker you can eat it, the fresher it is. That's why you'll see Peruvian chefs squirt ime juice, and give it one or two mixes with the fish, then serve it 30 seconds after getting hit with lime juice. I cook mine for about 3-5 minutes with mexican or key limes. The trick is to mix salt very well in with the fish before adding any juices. I usually mix salt with the fish, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. The salt starts to pull the water/liquid from the fish meat, and you will see a little puddle of liquid forming on the bottom of the bowl. Once the puddle starts forming, you can hit it with the lime juice, and the fish meat will soak up the citrus like a sponge. It will be fully cooked in 3-5 minutes. This is the only method that I have been able to use that compensates for the low acidity in the limes in the U.S. I learned this trick at a ceviche class I attended last year taught by a well known Peruvian chef and restaurant owner.

This fits what I was reading re: safety and handling times for use here, versus there. It delved into the soil there, which contributes to higher acidity of their fruit.

cypresshill1973 said:

It's funny because I can remember chefs asking me (bartender at time) for "limon" and I'd get the yellow, and they wanted green. I asked if the green was lemon, what was the lemon called. Well, "limon" of course. "The green we call limon too." :lol: I don't know the nationality of the chef(s) because it was a "Latin" restaurant with Peruvian, Mexican, and all kinds of latin food.

But I think in Mexico it is the same.

Back