food Comida South America!

You definitely should give it a whirl! Keep in kind that you can control the heat level of the dish by taking the veins off of the aji amarillo. 4 whole aji amarillo like I used in this dish is very spicy for most peoples standards, but perfect for my wife and I's taste. If you are cooking for non chile heads, I would highly recommend taking some of the veins off of the aji amarillo.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
You definitely should give it a whirl! Keep in kind that you can control the heat level of the dish by taking the veins off of the aji amarillo. 4 whole aji amarillo like I used in this dish is very spicy for most peoples standards, but perfect for my wife and I's taste. If you are cooking for non chile heads, I would highly recommend taking some of the veins off of the aji amarillo.

I ordered a little paste ( http://amzn.com/B003G52K5E ) and some corn nuts per THP for a crack at ceviche ( http://amzn.com/B00AF1SJIO ) ...

#Peruvian

Nice!

They also use soft fermented corn in some ceviches, but the cancha sets if off imo. Looking forward to G's Peruvian cook. You can make a lot with the paste, papas al la huancaina, or in stews, whatever.

You'd probably like some lomo saltado Grant. It's a marinated beef stir fry with peppers and tomatoes and french fries on top. :D

But since you're into healthy for a bit stick to ceviche. 

Those are some good ingredients for sure! You might want to use the rocoto paste for your ceviche. I almost always use aji limo for ceviche, but honestly any hot pepper will contribute to the flavor profile of a good ceviche. I've used rocoto plenty of times in the past for ceviche, and it came out well.

That aji panca paste you got is very versatile! I use a dab of aji panca for many beef dishes, whether grilled, sauteed, or roasted.

Aji panca is the one staple Peruvian pepper I don't grow, even though I cook with the paste all the time. I guess the reason is that I have never seen a recipe, or tasted a dish that calls for fresh aji panca.

BTW, if anyone lives in the NE, and loves Peruvian food, there is an annual Peruvian culinary festival in DC. I've gone the last 3 years, it's awesome. They have every kind of Peruvian food you can think of from food vendors, plus every major pisco vendor from Peru shows up to serve pisco sours, and sell bottles of pisco. Famous Peruvian chefs also come out to teach classes on how to cook iconic Peruvian dishes.

Tasteofperudc.com

Last year they even brought out el Ninja de los limones from Peru to perform, who is one of the most well known cevicheros from Peru.

The anticuchos and chancho al palo last year at Taste of Peru were the best I've ever had. Finger licking good!!!

So, the Mystery Citrus is seed from pods given to me by our Peruvian shop foreman at work ...

We've worked together for a long time now, and I've worked remotely for like 18 months now, so I thought it would be cool learn to cook some Peruvian food and then invite him over to eat and rock out some Peruvian as a surprise ...

Good excuse to brew a Negra Modelo style beer, too ... and I have a couple vials of WLP940 that are aging, a bit ...

Anyways ... yeah ... I'm going to take some cracks at Peruvian cuisine ...

You and SF have presented it such that I'm going to try to get past the raw fish aspect ... lol.

Hey ... low pH and alcohol keeps my beer safe, right? ...

:CHEERS:

I had Cristal at my Perivuan joint, don't remember exactly what it tasted like, but no better than Heineken/Rolling Rock fare.

When in Rome and all...

Thegreenchilemonster said:
For sure! The Peruvian beer of choice is Cristal, which is a somewhat palatable lager. The national drink of Peru is the pisco sour, which is a whole different beast. Don't ever compare a Peruvian pisco sour to a Chilean pisco sour to any Peruvian/Chilean BTW, it can be a very touchy subject.

Cusquena Negra is my favourite beer from Peru, would always buy a big bottle with my ceviche. There is a small Latin grocer that sometimes stocks it over here, otherwise its unavaliable and there really are no choices here that are similar.

What do you do with leftover ajì de gallina?...

Make empanadas of course!

I started by making a crema de rocoto. Sautee up 2 rocoto, 2 aji amarillo, an onion, and 2 cloves of garlic with some good EVOO. Once roasted, liquify with some vinegar.

For the empanadas, spoon over the left over aji de gallina, drop them on an empanada shell, wrap it up, then fry it up.

Dip the empanadas in the crema de rocoto.

Delicious!

Attachments

• 20160120_190404.jpg
    20160120_190404.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 20160120_205722.jpg
    20160120_205722.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20160120_212353.jpg
    20160120_212353.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20160120_212805.jpg