• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Compmodder26's 2012 Grow Log - New Video Update

So I just finalized my grow list for 2012, aka my first attempt at growing peppers. I'm starting out relatively small for my first time, although it has been tough trying to narrow them down thanks to Jamie (romy6) and his extreme generosity. But at any rate here is what I plan to grow:

Red Bhut Jolokia - 1
7 Pot Jonah - 1
Naga Morich - 2
Brain Strain - 2
TS Butch T - 2
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia - 1
Yellow Fatalii - 1

So that's a total of 10 plants and 7 varieties. I'll be starting at the first of the year.

Wish me luck!

Edit: Hehe, I just posted this and I'm already changing it up. I decided that since I'm growing 2 naga morich, they are supposed to be similar to bhuts so I dropped 1 red bhut and added 1 7 pot jonah

Man you aren't messing around, going right for the juggler first time around. I may suggest some Biker Billy Hybrids to throw in there.

Good luck with your grow, and don't be shy with the photos......we all appreciate them... :)

Your Fatali's should be your most productive followed by the Naga Morich.

Greg

Good luck with your grow, and don't be shy with the photos......we all appreciate them... :)

Your Fatali's should be your most productive followed by the Naga Morich.

Greg

Thanks!

Yeah that's the biggest reason I wanted to grow the Naga Morich is because it's supposed to be similar in heat to bhut jolokias but is a more prolific producer. I enjoy making hot sauces so I wanted to be sure I have enough supply.

And don't worry, I'll definitely be taking pics.

Thanks!

Yeah that's the biggest reason I wanted to grow the Naga Morich is because it's supposed to be similar in heat to bhut jolokias but is a more prolific producer. I enjoy making hot sauces so I wanted to be sure I have enough supply.

And don't worry, I'll definitely be taking pics.

You won't be sorry, I grow a few variants of the Morich. Although they most likely originated from the same region, the size of plants differs from tall and conical to shrublike with more lateral growth. Definitely a better produce than the Bhu-hoo Jolokia. I also like the Bhut Carbon, great producer with narley looking pods...

Greg

Here we go, I'm officially starting my 2012 grow log. I don't have much to show right now, but I'll be updating it this weekend when I build my grow "box". I do have one bhut jolokia plant that I've kept from my germination tests. I have it in a plastic cup growing under two 23 watt (100 watt incandescent equivalent) CFL daylight bulbs right now. Once I get the grow box built, I will move it in there. I'll be germinating the rest of the seeds in the last week of December.

For now here is a couple of pics of my first baby :)

P1080979.JPG

P1080978.JPG

I have now built my grow box. It is made of a PVC frame wrapped in mylar. I've made it so that I can adjust the height up to 5 feet so I can later accomodate 1 plant for an overwinter.

P1080993.JPG

Quick question guys. If I'm going to be raising ~15 seedlings, will those two lights be sufficient? Or will I need to add more? I'm planning on raising them in there until late April - early May when I'll harden them off to live outside. Adding more isn't a problem, but I will say that I prefer to stick with CFLs for cost reasons.

Looks good, ya you will need more if your goin that long. Check out my grow challenge all fl's... i like mine, right at 100 out the door with bulbs at home depot, and it's 4 ft with 6 t-8 bulbs, plenty. I would use more red to keep them compact for that length of time.

Looks good, ya you will need more if your goin that long. Check out my grow challenge all fl's... i like mine, right at 100 out the door with bulbs at home depot, and it's 4 ft with 6 t-8 bulbs, plenty. I would use more red to keep them compact for that length of time.

Thanks!

About the red spectrum. So currently the two bulbs I have are outputting 5000K for the color temp. Should I just add a couple of 2700K lights or should I replace the current ones I have with 2700K too (for a total of 4 2700K lights)?

That's a nice reflective set up, great concept. Whatever lamps you use, make sure you move the plants within a few inches of the CFLs when they sprout, otherwise they'll get leggy. Most CFLs run pretty cool, but check with a thermometer or just back of the hand for warmth issues. Add more lights as you get more plants, maybe two more units like you have for a total of 6 bulbs should fill that space nicely. Mixed spectrums are okay and probably beneficial.

Add up your lumens, not just your watts. If you can swing it, shoot for upwards of 3000 lumens / square-foot of growing space, per Alabama Jack's good growing rule of thumb....

:cool:

That's a nice reflective set up, great concept. Whatever lamps you use, make sure you move the plants within a few inches of the CFLs when they sprout, otherwise they'll get leggy. Most CFLs run pretty cool, but check with a thermometer or just back of the hand for warmth issues. Add more lights as you get more plants, maybe two more units like you have for a total of 6 bulbs should fill that space nicely. Mixed spectrums are okay and probably beneficial.

Add up your lumens, not just your watts. If you can swing it, shoot for upwards of 3000 lumens / square-foot of growing space, per Alabama Jack's good growing rule of thumb....

:cool:

Thanks for the advice Siliman. I've stacked a few items up to bring my lone bhut jolokia closer to the lights. Gonna have to think up a way to bring the rest of them up when they sprout. If I add enough lights to get to 3000 lumens / square foot, I'll need to get some mylar to go in front. Don't think my wife would be happy with having the light output of a lighthouse shining upstairs. :rofl:

Looking good :)
This is the type of set up I am looking to set up for my 2012 grow
I wish you the best of luck and I'll be keep keeping a close eye on this thread to pick up a few tips. :)

Thanks a lot!

Here is the parts list so you can build something similar:

1/2 inch PVC pipe - 2x10 foot (example)
1 inch PVC pipe - 3x10 foot (example)
1/2 inch side outlet elbow - 4 (example)
1 inch side outlet elbow - 4 (example)
1 inch tee - 2 (example)
Clip on work light - 1 (example)
Lightbulb Y-adapter - 1 (example)
23 watt (100 watt equivalent) Daylight (5000K) CFL - 2 (example)
Mylar emergency thermal blanket - 3 (example)
1/4" wooden dowel - 1 (cut into 4 pieces) (example)

So the top is made of 1" PVC and bottom is made of 1/2"

The bottom and top are 24" deep x 36" long

The supports are 26" each on the top and bottom

The top has a middle bar to hang the lights from

The supports for the 1/2" bottom have 1/4" holes drilled in them every 4 inches to place dowels and raise the height as needed.

Here are pics of the height adjustment setup:
holes.JPG

P1090009.JPG

i would try to put the light about 4 to 6 inches from the growing tip
if you put the lights close enough
they may grow lots faster

i would try to put the light about 4 to 6 inches from the growing tip
if you put the lights close enough
they may grow lots faster

Yeah, with the seedling on top of the crate, the lights are now ~ 5 inches from it. So it would appear to be right in the sweet spot.

Thanks a lot!

Here is the parts list so you can build something similar:

Thanks very much

1/2 inch PVC pipe - 2x10 foot (example)
1 inch PVC pipe - 3x10 foot (example)
1/2 inch side outlet elbow - 4 (example)
1 inch side outlet elbow - 4 (example)
1 inch tee - 2 (example)
Clip on work light - 1 (example)
Lightbulb Y-adapter - 1 (example)
23 watt (100 watt equivalent) Daylight (5000K) CFL - 2 (example)
Mylar emergency thermal blanket - 3 (example)
1/4" wooden dowel - 1 (cut into 4 pieces) (example)

So the top is made of 1" PVC and bottom is made of 1/2"

The bottom and top are 24" deep x 36" long

The supports are 26" each on the top and bottom

The top has a middle bar to hang the lights from

The supports for the 1/2" bottom have 1/4" holes drilled in them every 4 inches to place dowels and raise the height as needed.

Here are pics of the height adjustment setup:
holes.JPG

P1090009.JPG

Just ordered 1 pint (25 pack, 15-20 month life), 1 gallon (25 pack, 3-4 year life), and 5 gallon (10 pack, 4-5 year life) root pouches from greenhousemegastore.com. Including shipping, the cost per pouch is about 83 cents. So still pretty reasonable I'd say. Hope these will work well for me!

Back