• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Comptine's Swedish Glog 2016

Hello friends!

To keep me from adding more peppers to my grow list for the season I am now starting my 2016 glog. I'm still a week or two out from starting, but the prep is starting.

The quick breakdown of last year is: I started really late (first time grower), I wanted to do only super hots for the lols at first. Combined with a terribly cold and not particularly sunny summer, I got extremely few supers, if any on some plants, and I had to many plants of the same variety. I had a few annuums that did OK.

The theme this year is variety. I'm trying to grow peppers that are aesthetically nice looking, as well as trying to spread out the heat levels and trying some from each of the 5 popular sub species.

The progress so far is that I think I have a pretty good finalised list. I'm planning on getting seedling starter soil any day now. I need to dig out the root trainer pots, I think those will work better and will save me from having to pot up too soon. I will only keep two of the same kind, one as back up, and the back up will probably be given away once the main one is established. There may be an exception to this, I might need a few more jalapeño plants, last summer I was making both jalapeño marmalade and chilli candies, that were hugely popular so I might need to up production on those. I have 34 different varieties on my list and this should be manageable.

Without further ado, this is the list.

Annuum
Cayenne Golden Started 24/2 - 3 plants
Cayenne Yellow (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 2 plants
Farmer's Market Jalapeño Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Jalastar Started 24/2 - 5 plants
Mulato Isleno (Bricklayer) Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Piquin (EvanWilliams1988) Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Purple Piquin Started 3/1 - 2 plants
Takanotsume Started 24/2 - 1 plant
Zimbabwe Bird Started 23/2 - 1 plants

Chinense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Jobito Started 9/1 - 3 [/SIZE]plants
Aji Margariteño Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Beni Highlands (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Bonda Ma Jacques Started 12/1 - 2 plants
Chupetinho Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Hand Grenade Yellow(JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Habanero Jelly Bean Started 3/1 - 0 germinated
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Orange Apple (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero White Bullet (EvanWilliams1988) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Habanero White Bullet (Tsurrie) Started 3/1 - 1 plant
Malaysian Goronong Red Started 12/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet MOA (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet Tobago (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Trinidad Seasoning Started 12/1 - 1 plant

Baccatum
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Omnicolour ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px])[/SIZE] Started 24/2 - 1 plants
Aji Pineapple (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 3 plants

[SIZE=14.6667px]Bishop’s Hat
Brazilian Starfish (rghm) [/SIZE]Started 1/1 - 3 plants
Lemon Drop (Seed Train) Started 24/2 - 2 plants

Frutescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Charapita (Rory) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Chuncho [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 0 germinated Absolute failure, will probably not grow.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Prik Kee Noo Suan [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 3 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Tabasco [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant

Pubescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Oro Already have two plants from end of last summer
Habanero Manzano ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px]) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Locato Red [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Peru Bitdumi [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rio Huallaga [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rocoto Mini [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants

Unknown
Chinese Pot Started 12/1 - 2 plants

I know that I have missed some credit, so many people have been generous to me with seeds this past year, for that I'm grateful. I look forward to the coming season.

I'm starting to see tiny fruits on my greenhouse chinenses. Now that I've pruned off the lower leaves on my tomatoes I think the pollinators have been able to find the plants hiding there. 

This is my Habanero Manzano, not the largest fruit there is, but it has firmly set.

I now realise it's impossible to see, but there is a tiny Chupentinho pod near the bottom of the plant.

And the Beni Highlands plant has set a pod or two. 

This season is already better than the last one was for the chinenses. 

My Aji Oro continues to set fruit, they are not as large as they can get, but I put that down to pot size. I'm still happy to be able to sample these in time.

az1000 said:
The size of pot is 5,5l I think.
My plant has the same grow pattern like yours but is larger.
I think I have more than 20 pods on that plant and counting.
Aji Oro is the most productive and heat tolerant variety.

It's crazy how big this one got, I did not expect that. So far I've been really happy with the growth and pod setting, I might have close to 20 pods as well, varying sizes though. I'm giving this one liquid fertiliser with every watering and the pod size got larger after that. We have not had extreme heat for a while now, so it's hard to say about the heat tolerance. Our days are around 18-22 degrees at the moment. I have fruits on my Rocoto Mini yellow too, but they are quite small still, it only started flowering recently. I have one more flowering but I'm not sure which variety that one was. 

Comptine said:

It's crazy how big this one got, I did not expect that. So far I've been really happy with the growth and pod setting, I might have close to 20 pods as well, varying sizes though. I'm giving this one liquid fertiliser with every watering and the pod size got larger after that. We have not had extreme heat for a while now, so it's hard to say about the heat tolerance. Our days are around 18-22 degrees at the moment. I have fruits on my Rocoto Mini yellow too, but they are quite small still, it only started flowering recently. I have one more flowering but I'm not sure which variety that one was. 
Here the temperature is 35-37C and will stay like this for 2 months.
My Mini Rocoto just started to flower,but I don't think will set .

Trident chilli said:
All looking good Alana ... I grew the Aji Oro a few years ago and it certainly grew big. Pods hung like yellow pendants in the end I had to continuously support the plant. Do you have the yellow or red variety

Cheers John! I haven't had to support it yet, but the branches hang down on the table so it isn't so bad. I believe I should have the yellow variety, but a lot of the pepperlover seeds I got from that batch have been a little off. At least the general shape looks about right. 
Did you like the taste of them? I've never had a rocoto before, so I don't know what to expect. 

Comptine said:
Cheers John! I haven't had to support it yet, but the branches hang down on the table so it isn't so bad. I believe I should have the yellow variety, but a lot of the pepperlover seeds I got from that batch have been a little off. At least the general shape looks about right. 
Did you like the taste of them? I've never had a rocoto before, so I don't know what to expect.
Hope you don't mind me posting my photography of the "Oro" as you can see they are thick walled .... crunchy to the bite I would say a medium heat - sweet taste

Trident chilli said:
Hope you don't mind me posting my photography of the "Oro" as you can see they are thick walled .... crunchy to the bite I would say a medium heat - sweet taste

Those look really yummy! Mine are pubescents though, so I imagine the seeds would be black? They were when I planted them. Is it possible we have two different Aji Oro's? http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/heal-leve/hot-very-hot/aji-oro-rocoto-detail This is the one I'm growing. 

Comptine said:

Those look really yummy! Mine are pubescents though, so I imagine the seeds would be black? They were when I planted them. Is it possible we have two different Aji Oro's? http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/heal-leve/hot-very-hot/aji-oro-rocoto-detail This is the one I'm growing. 
The aji oro I'm growing is a Pubescens with black seeds and purple flowers as well. Extremely productive plant for a Pubescens that likes to grow horizontally. I prune the branches when it starts to get too wide, forcing it to put some vertical shoots. I got my seeds from AZ1000.

Back