• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Comptine's Swedish Glog 2016

Hello friends!

To keep me from adding more peppers to my grow list for the season I am now starting my 2016 glog. I'm still a week or two out from starting, but the prep is starting.

The quick breakdown of last year is: I started really late (first time grower), I wanted to do only super hots for the lols at first. Combined with a terribly cold and not particularly sunny summer, I got extremely few supers, if any on some plants, and I had to many plants of the same variety. I had a few annuums that did OK.

The theme this year is variety. I'm trying to grow peppers that are aesthetically nice looking, as well as trying to spread out the heat levels and trying some from each of the 5 popular sub species.

The progress so far is that I think I have a pretty good finalised list. I'm planning on getting seedling starter soil any day now. I need to dig out the root trainer pots, I think those will work better and will save me from having to pot up too soon. I will only keep two of the same kind, one as back up, and the back up will probably be given away once the main one is established. There may be an exception to this, I might need a few more jalapeño plants, last summer I was making both jalapeño marmalade and chilli candies, that were hugely popular so I might need to up production on those. I have 34 different varieties on my list and this should be manageable.

Without further ado, this is the list.

Annuum
Cayenne Golden Started 24/2 - 3 plants
Cayenne Yellow (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 2 plants
Farmer's Market Jalapeño Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Jalastar Started 24/2 - 5 plants
Mulato Isleno (Bricklayer) Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Piquin (EvanWilliams1988) Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Purple Piquin Started 3/1 - 2 plants
Takanotsume Started 24/2 - 1 plant
Zimbabwe Bird Started 23/2 - 1 plants

Chinense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Jobito Started 9/1 - 3 [/SIZE]plants
Aji Margariteño Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Beni Highlands (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Bonda Ma Jacques Started 12/1 - 2 plants
Chupetinho Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Hand Grenade Yellow(JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Habanero Jelly Bean Started 3/1 - 0 germinated
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Orange Apple (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero White Bullet (EvanWilliams1988) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Habanero White Bullet (Tsurrie) Started 3/1 - 1 plant
Malaysian Goronong Red Started 12/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet MOA (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet Tobago (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Trinidad Seasoning Started 12/1 - 1 plant

Baccatum
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Omnicolour ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px])[/SIZE] Started 24/2 - 1 plants
Aji Pineapple (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 3 plants

[SIZE=14.6667px]Bishop’s Hat
Brazilian Starfish (rghm) [/SIZE]Started 1/1 - 3 plants
Lemon Drop (Seed Train) Started 24/2 - 2 plants

Frutescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Charapita (Rory) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Chuncho [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 0 germinated Absolute failure, will probably not grow.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Prik Kee Noo Suan [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 3 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Tabasco [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant

Pubescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Oro Already have two plants from end of last summer
Habanero Manzano ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px]) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Locato Red [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Peru Bitdumi [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rio Huallaga [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rocoto Mini [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants

Unknown
Chinese Pot Started 12/1 - 2 plants

I know that I have missed some credit, so many people have been generous to me with seeds this past year, for that I'm grateful. I look forward to the coming season.

stickman said:
Everything's looking great Alana! I'll be interested in your take on the Oro Pubiscens. So far I've only tasted the Manzano. Cheers!

Cheers! It will be the first time I try pubesence as well, didn't not realise they're normally around habanero level, it's going to be hot!

Let's throw in another quick picture update!

Getting some pods on the Hab Manzano, very exciting! 

The chupentinhos are storting to get that upside down tear shape.

I can never get a good picture of the Omnicolour, but I believe a pod is turning orange now. 

Mini Rocoto (yellow?) is getting some pods! And they are still mini xD

Flower drop on maybe Rio Hualaga, I keep forgetting, since they all look the same at the moment. 

I only have one rocoto that hasn't recovered from it's nute burn now, all the rest are either setting pods or flowering at least.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Nice plants! The mini rocoto is a great producer, but the pods take FOREVER to ripen! Like 3 weeks at least to ripen once fully grown.

You know, three weeks is what I consider quick. I swear I've had full sized cayennes on for longer than that at this point. 

Comptine said:

You know, three weeks is what I consider quick. I swear I've had full sized cayennes on for longer than that at this point. 
Lol, yeah I guess you're right. Aji amarillo takes a month at least to ripen. Still, I would expect such a small pod to ripen quicker. The mini rocoto is pretty tasty though. Just the right size for some stuffed rocoto poppers. I'm brewing beer with them, since they have great flavor, but lower heat. I hope you enjoy eating your first rocoto!

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Lol, yeah I guess you're right. Aji amarillo takes a month at least to ripen. Still, I would expect such a small pod to ripen quicker. The mini rocoto is pretty tasty though. Just the right size for some stuffed rocoto poppers. I'm brewing beer with them, since they have great flavor, but lower heat. I hope you enjoy eating your first rocoto!

Cheers! I have great expectations of the rocotos, I really want to like them! I've got a few from each sub family growing, so hopefully I'll be able to hone in on what my preference is this year. 

stickman said:
Hi Alana, you'll like the little Chupetino pods... they only get to about a cm in size, but are very prolific and have great heat and aroma. They're particularly good for powders. How are the Takanotsume and Mulato chiles doing for you?

I finally remembered to take the phone with me when inspecting the peppers. Right, so, I have two Mulato Isleno plants and one Takanotsume. 

This is the Takanotsume

And things are starting to happen in there. 

This is one of the Mulato Islenos 

And it has one confirmed pod, and several flowers. 

The second Mulato Isleno is in the back corner there, I have yet to see fruit set. But there are a few flowers so hopefully.

I also wanted to share this Aji Charapita plant. It's quite the bush! There are some flowers hiding behind all that green, but I couldn't spot any fruit yet, I only had a quick glance. 

Also, I can't stop being impressed with this Prik Kee No Suan. It has it's first ripe fruit now! The plant seems super prolific for such a small pot.

All looking fine Alana! The Takanotsume will grow out bunches of 20 to 30 pods if it's happy... not all at once, but over a period of time. When the pods on the Mulato get full-sized but not yet ripe, they're called "Poblanos" and you can roast and peel them and use them in sauces or stuffed, battered and fried for Chiles Rellenos. When they're fully ripe they'll turn a chocolate brown, and at that point they'll be Mulatos. In Mexico they dry them whole to store for the winter or grind them  to powder. Ancho or Mulato powder are great additions to chili powder blends along with garlic powder and ground toasted cumin. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/chili_powder.html

Those are some lovely looking plants. Whatever soil mix you have they seem to be loving it and like you say the Prik is not messing around and it just doesnt match the pot. Great job, keep the pics coming.

stickman said:
All looking fine Alana! The Takanotsume will grow out bunches of 20 to 30 pods if it's happy... not all at once, but over a period of time. When the pods on the Mulato get full-sized but not yet ripe, they're called "Poblanos" and you can roast and peel them and use them in sauces or stuffed, battered and fried for Chiles Rellenos. When they're fully ripe they'll turn a chocolate brown, and at that point they'll be Mulatos. In Mexico they dry them whole to store for the winter or grind them  to powder. Ancho or Mulato powder are great additions to chili powder blends along with garlic powder and ground toasted cumin. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/chili_powder.html

I grew Yukari Bakan last year, and that one seemed to grow in bunches as well. I'm really happy with most plants at the moment, they all seem to be flowering at least, some have fruit, some have maturing fruit. I didn't realise poblanos and mulatos were the same, I thought they were different varieties. I reckon I'll let mine mature, unless I have some at the end of the season that I need to salvage before the frost. My understanding is that they aren't particularly spicy, so I might do stuffed chillies. 

willow said:
Those are some lovely looking plants. Whatever soil mix you have they seem to be loving it and like you say the Prik is not messing around and it just doesnt match the pot. Great job, keep the pics coming.

Cheers! The soil itself is nothing special, it's peat, I've thrown in a lot of goodies for the plants though, lots of slow releasing ferts. 

Comptine said:

I didn't realise poblanos and mulatos were the same, I thought they were different varieties. I reckon I'll let mine mature, unless I have some at the end of the season that I need to salvage before the frost. My understanding is that they aren't particularly spicy, so I might do stuffed chillies. 

Yeah... and Anchos are siblings of Mulatos too... the difference is that Anchos ripen a garnet red and Mulatos ripen chocolate brown. The unripened pods of both are called Poblanos. There's a lot of that in Mexican names for chiles. They seem to refer to the stage of ripeness as well as the variety. Another is the chile called Chilaca when unripe and Pasilla when ripe.  Here's a good recipe for Chiles Rellenos if you're interested... http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/classic-pork-picadillo-stuffed-chiles-in-tomato-broth/

Trident chilli said:
Alana all looking good hope your getting this nice weather we are presently having .... today is a blistering 32c

Cheers John. The weather has picked up recently, although not as much as yours has. We hit 26C today, and it was mostly sunny. We're in for a nice week though. I'm hoping things will start ripening properly now. I have hundreds, if not over a 1000 tomatoes, and none has ripened yet, and I feel like my Cayennes have on for over a month and are still green. 

I hope you are well, and that your plants are doing great. How are the air pots working out so far?

Back