• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Contest for First Ripe Pepper

All I got to say is that is a very healthy looking plant...Hey Pablo, can you get any closeups of the small pods or the flowers?

AlabamaJack said:
All I got to say is that is a very healthy looking plant...Hey Pablo, can you get any closeups of the small pods or the flowers?
here ya go Jack.
pablossecondbloom2in4.jpg

pablossecondbloom1lg9.jpg

pablo

They are so cute....good photos Pablo...

so Pablo you are going to force the seedling into a bloom stage?
I have no doubt it will flower but do you think the pod will be stunted?

stillmanz said:
so Pablo you are going to force the seedling into a bloom stage?
I have no doubt it will flower but do you think the pod will be stunted?
Hi stillmanz,
there should be no problem forceing bloom at any time really.

Bhut Jolokia is a long season variety,meaning 100+ days from pod set. Like most long season varieties,it will mature before it sets flowers,no matter what the photoperiod. the main problem is the roots,the plant needs to grow enough roots to support a heavy pepper laden plant. You could grow these plants from seed germination at a 12/12 photoperiod with no adverse affects,just a small plant.As soon as the small plant shows a flower,i will start the 100 day clock and see where we are when that day rolls around.

pablo

so if youget theyoungerplant to bloom you would allow one or two pods to form and pick the new flowers off toallow it tousemostof its energy on the pod? thats if you were in an international first pod comp hyperthethically lol.
I've seen my small hydro fatalii go into early bloom I usually just flick the flowers off.

well my nagas arevery healthy but way behind the leaders I'm just pickin uptips from here lol.

My money now on Pablo sorry billyboylol.

stillmanz said:
so if you
get theyounger plant to bloom ,
you would allow one or two pods to form and pick the new flowers off to allow it to use most of its energy on the pod?
thats if you were in an international first pod comp hyperthethically lol.
I've seen my small hydro fatalii go into early bloom I usually just flick the flowers off.

well my nagas are very healthy but way behind the leaders I'm just pickin up tips from here lol.

My money now on Pablo sorry billy boy lol.
Thanks for the vote of confidence mate,
but Billy is gonna win,if all things equal,hydro will win everytime.
well really the actual race is still at the starting line,since this is a seedling Im competeing with,it has yet to prove itself as a fertile plant,I have two mature plants same as my Pablo,and neither has yet to produce any peppers and they are both two years old,like my Pablo plant. so until someone actually has a pollenated flower and fruit set,we all are in the same boat.
ya know me and my friend from nmsu ,planted about 1000 of the original assam seed to get pablo,so hes kinda special. a real stud ya know. so if I get these other 4 new seedlings from the same old assam seed as Pablo to produce like him ,then I will be very happy.soon I need to do Fatalii and make some wicked hybrids.I just have not decided on where to get the seed,I need the land race generation of seed,not a maybe pure seed.
maybe I can source some from cpi. ;)

hang in there folks ,this is only just beginning to get started.

pablo

DevilDuck said:
Hmmmm..... All I've really seen so far are all the dirt farmers results. Where are the hydro people?

billyboy said:
Heres my babies

pix166.jpg

Can anyone spot the T.Scorpions:cool:
Hi DD,
Here is my ace in the hole should Billy get his groove on good hehe...
pabloclonecchinesejacqiq9.jpg

This is a clone of my Pablo seed plant and is a genectic copy, identical to the big one makeing peppers now,also Pablito is already proven and same age as papa...so he will bloom at the snap of the lights.
He is rooted into a soiless mix of coco fibre/peralite/vermiculite and fed mostly ph water,with just a touch of Foxfarm Hydro Organic as per FF mixing chart.
as i said in the beginning I wanted to try both soil and hydro.
so when billy snaps his indoor hydro into gear I will start pablito...if I did him now,it would not be a fair race.
its alot of fun to reap what you sow,
my grandparents are to thank for my green thumbs...
bless them both.

pablo

Guys n Gals, Ive had a switch of plan with my coco Nagas, as Ive got 9 seedlings of T. Scorpions up they will be given the royal treatment ie, in the Hydro room. All my Nagas are now currently outside and in 4 inch pots sitting in potting mix, I have kept 2 Bhut Jolokias in coco which will go under the lights till the first fork appears then they are going outside in my "Naga Hut" so they will be full hydro. Ive done this type of growing before, (starting in coco then to potting mix) and have fantastic results my Datils which were started this way 2 months ago already have their first open flowers formed & look awesome (I must post a pic of them).

Pablo thanks for your confidence in me, but the others are very experienced growers so dont count them out either. For me its going to be interesting to see how the dirt nagas compare to the coco bhuts, but alas my new love is with the T.Scorpions :)

Hope everyones plants are coming along nicely.

billyboy

ps harvest pics tomorrow :hell:

So pablo have you found productivity in plants varies seed to seed?
I've noticed it in Devils tongues (fatalii type chinenses)
some plants grow hard out and produce early others are stunted and struggled grown in same conditions. weird
Is there more story to the thousand assam seeds?

Baby Naga 02-10-08

Seems the baby Nagas are starting to take off now...

Leaves are getting large and new growth abounds...

Stillz...I planted five 7 pod seeds and have five thriving seedlings....sorry for the bad pic...

Canuk Pepperhead said:
Man they are looking good AJ

thanks CP....but I think BB and Pablo well ahead at the moment...

I am NOT giving up.....you boys better kick it into a higher gear....my little ones are coming on....

Canuk Pepperhead said:
both of mine are a little behind you but doing good

Good deal...got any ideas on how to beat BB and Pablo?......

I am open for suggestions.....

Omri said:
At the end of the day, it's the guy with the best gear.
Possibly but still in fun..Im impressed with what ive done win or not I dont care..This is the first time ive grown from seed sucessfully and its still alive..thats good enough for me

Back