food Crushed Candied Habaneros

Txclosetgrower said:
Lol, perfect opportunity to post this pic I found:

ry3D480.jpg

Not on a boat and not with a goat...

Just gave this a go with my orange habs. I don't have an oven vent so I got pepper sprayed pretty good when I dropped the habs into the sugar mixture. Other than that, they're pretty damn good. They make a pretty good, hot snack. Although if you're going to eat them like candy, you should eat them like a toffee and suck on them instead of chewing them. They stick to everything once they warm up. They're too hot for my family, but I didn't mind them at all. Either way, thanks for sharing the recipe

And because I have a bunch of the sauce left, I'm going to make some HELL-oween suckers for my friends and g/f halloween party. Should be devilishly good!

My candied orange habs:

candiedorangehabs003.jpg

Blister said:
Just gave this a go with my orange habs. I don't have an oven vent so I got pepper sprayed pretty good when I dropped the habs into the sugar mixture. Other than that, they're pretty damn good. They make a pretty good, hot snack. Although if you're going to eat them like candy, you should eat them like a toffee and suck on them instead of chewing them. They stick to everything once they warm up. They're too hot for my family, but I didn't mind them at all. Either way, thanks for sharing the recipe

And because I have a bunch of the sauce left, I'm going to make some HELL-oween suckers for my friends and g/f halloween party. Should be devilishly good!

My candied orange habs:

candiedorangehabs003.jpg

Thats good to hear, glad you liked it. Btw when I crush mine, I add a little corn starch to help prevent them from sticking into a large clump.

Corn starch! That's a good idea. I was having some problems with them clumping. I'm looking forward to trying this again with different peppers because I don't really care for the orange hab flavor.

That would be great fun as long as it's not to kids. You may end up with a few angry parents on your doorstep. I'm giving these to my g/f and she's going to give them to her friends b/f's. They go on about how they love "hot" food and how they can eat all kinds of jalapeno's :lol:. I'm almost tempted to go so I can see how they react to the candied habs and hab suckers :D.

I like to suck on a small piece because they taste good and are pretty damn hot. I offered a piece to my friend and he instantly bit into it and said that it wasn't too bad. The thing is that they take a bit before the heat kicks in. They're also incredibly sticky so they stick to your teeth when bitten. It just kept burning, and burning until he picked it off :lol:. It's kinda like putting a hot ember on your tongue when your not used to it. Oh good times...

Damn, that left over syrup is like the best... thing... ever. It's like soft toffee with a hint of lemon and lime followed by *zzzzzziiiiiiinnnng*. That is going to be amazing on meat.

buggedcom said:
Damn, that left over syrup is like the best... thing... ever. It's like soft toffee with a hint of lemon and lime followed by *zzzzzziiiiiiinnnng*. That is going to be amazing on meat.
lol, yeah... I actually bottle my syrup when making candied chiles.

buggedcom said:

I've made these in the past with Thai Hots but did it the longer version that takes weeks to make. The leftover syrup I had was great and I tried it on icecream and in coffee instead of using sugar. Not bad.

candy syrpe leftovers can be stored in the fridge (think hot hot cakes) lol.
only thing is it might harden.
if you have got the syrpe to the hard candy stage. (drop a drop of syrpe into a cold cup of water if it solidifies it is candy when cool not syrpe) then you can put teaspoons of this onto wax paper (let it cool down just a lil) and you will get hab candy. if it goes into a sheet on the papper break the candy up . happy eating.
(put wax paper into baking sheet if you want to clean them. put wax paper into cardbord box if you dont want to clean up the box and just want to toss it.)

Great recipe! I made them last weekend. One tip is that if you want hard candy, make sure to get off as much syrup as possible before entering them in the oven to dry. Mine turned out more like sticky hab balls. Also the syrup is great, I liked the syrup more than the candy itself. I condensed mine down more and coated it in brown sugar to make smokey hab caramel. Mmmmm.

I made some candied Bhut Jolokias for Christmas. I followed the directions using organic sugar and apple cider vinegar. After baking I dusted them with confectioners sugar. I was very happy with the results. Thanks for posting the recipe!

IMG_8358.jpg

IMG_8361.jpg

IMG_8363.jpg

IMG_8374.jpg

buggedcom said:

Oh man, guess that will be a great substitute for regular sugar sirop in cocktails! Gin fizz, Daiquiri? anyone?

I used to make candied ginger in a crock pot with honey and water.....I would keep it on medium for a couple of hours, till the ginger became tranlucent, let them dry drip a bit on a rack and then roll them in sugar. I wonder if you could do habs this way?
Candied habeneros, next to the candied ginger and the candied orange peel. I think I know what I'm preparing for christmas next year!
The leftover "syrup" was then just the right specific gravity to add champagne yeast and ferment into the best metheglin I ever made. Really. Won blue ribbons with that one!

Oooo, that makes me want to brew again. Habenero mead. yum!

(habenero ginger orange mead?)

The syrup is also great added to frozen yogurt shakes.

Frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, frozen rassberries, vanilla sugar, cinnamon powder, honey, habanero syrup, yogurt... Awesome. Frozen slush with a hint of chili!

Back