• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

D3's 2016 Growlog

Well 2016 is already fast approaching and it's time to start thinking about what to grow this coming year. Last year I started seeds in mid Dec and was running out of room for plants by the time plant out finally came. I think this year I will start the majority in January. 

I was going through my seeds to send to a few and figured it was time to start formulating a list of what I want to grow. 
There was a lot that I grew 2015 that while ok, I didn't see myself growing again and a few that definitaly made the grow list again. a few off the top my head being paper lantern, baha goats and moa bonnets. Just the right heat levels and great as smoked powders. 

Here is my non official ever changing list. (so much for having a smaller grow this year...) Edited 1-6 to reflect actual current list. 

Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-4   Mystery Wine - Joyner
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-6   Moa Bonnet Yellow- mine
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5   Moa Bonnet Red- Jcw10tc
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5   Aji Mango- Ozzy
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-7   Bahamian Goat (pheno from last year with nice tail) mine
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5   Mako Kokoo - jcw10tc
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5   Habanero Hot Lemon - Semillas
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-3   Cor De Laranja - Semillas
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5   Murupi Amarela- Scorched
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-4   Cream Fatalii - Cone9
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-4   7pot Peach - jcw10tc
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5   Ice scream scorp - jcw10tc
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-3   Habanero Laranjada Grande - Semillas
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-3   Peach Bhut - jcw10tc
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-6   BG7 Chocolate - Jcw10tc
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-18 Mystery Citrus- Grant
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-13 Pimente De Breese- smileyguy697
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:        Pimenta bode loranja- smileyguy697
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-13 Goatsweed - Hogleg
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:        Douglah X Butch T f4- Hogleg
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-15Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow - Cone9
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:        SB7J Yellow - Ozzy2001
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-12 Beni Highlands - Jcw10tc
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-18 7pot Burgundy- mine
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-13 Carolina Yellow Hab - Jcw10tc
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-15 Aji Omni Color- Ajijoe
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-15 Bolsa de Ducle- mine
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-15 Queen Laurie - Cone9
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-15 Aji ahuachapau - Jcw10tc
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-16 Red Primo- Jcw10tc
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-13 Carbonero- Tony Sherwood
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-18 Devils Brain - Jcw10tc

Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Sugar rush peach- Scorched
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Sugar rush cream- Scorched
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Aji Dulce Rosita- Cheri
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Hot Rod Serrano X Maui Purple f1- Freeportbum
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        7pod orange x Cbbg7 f1- Freeportbum
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Aji Dulce Jobito - Cheri
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Aji Fantasy White- PeterS
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:1-20 Paper Lantern Hab
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Cherry Bomb- grocery store
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Big Jim- Santis
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Mata frade- 
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Yellow Jalapeno- 
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Aji Pineapple
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:1-20 Yellow Tepin
                    Sprout:1-30 P. Dreadie Select Bonnet

My Crosses- See Crossing Thread

Flowering/producing      Aji Pineapple x Butch T yellow f1   maybe f2 if lucky already flowering
Flowering/producing      Butch T yellow x Bahaminan goat f1  maybe f2 if lucky already frowering
Flowering/producing      Paper Lantern X Butch T yellow f1  maybe f2 if lucky already flowering
Flowering/producing      Not a 7pot y X Butch T yellow f1  maybe f2 of lucky already flowering
Flowering/producing      Carbonero X Butch T yellow f1  maybe f2 if lucky already flowering
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-6    7pot Burgundy X Mystery (I crossed it and forgot to write it down. I think it's CGN 21500 )
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5    Lemon drop X Inca Berry f1 
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-6    Aji amarillo X Caribbean red hab f1

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Great looking plants! And lots of pods, too. I'm jealous!

Thanks, now if only the birds would let my pods finish developing. They been hitting all my plants just poking holes in them. Ordering some mosquito netting for isolation and bird proofing off amazon

oZfDxsJ.jpg

Carboneros

6EcAa70.jpg

Cream fatalii

4S8SjPD.jpg

So far we been holding up to the storms. Hail punched some holes in leaves but no major damage. Next round supposed to pass through tonight. Maybe severe or tornader.

Spicegeist said:
Earwigs might be responsible for those holes in your peppers, I've had that happen a few times in the past...

Pretty sure it's birds for most of these. They all have triangle shaped punch marks that look just like a beak. Damn grackles, doves and robins are always in there. Probably the grackles. 

I have been getting something munching on leaves though. I need to spray another round of azamax. 

That's annoying.  I remember reading about some Australian growers having trouble with crows picking the pods right off the plants.

Hopefully everything holds up tonight, we are right in the projected path of some severe storms and possibly tornados. I'm in Will county IL Shorewood, joliet, Plainfield area. Got a basement at least but worried about greenhouse.

D3monic said:

Pretty sure it's birds for most of these. They all have triangle shaped punch marks that look just like a beak. Damn grackles, doves and robins are always in there. Probably the grackles. 

I have been getting something munching on leaves though. I need to spray another round of azamax. 
That's been one of my worries about getting a green house.  With my luck it would blow away before I got to use it.  Your peppers looking great, just like Frank, way ahead of me, won't have real picture worthy pod for another week or 2 probably.  So late this year.  We had a little storm last night layed over a bunch of plants, but nothing serious.   Was nice though as it was the first rain we have seen since May.  Everything was getting pretty baked as its been mosty high 80s to mid 90s and sunny that entire time.

Yea it's been pretty similar here, hot and dry. so far the greenhouse is doing well. Tornado currently 5-6 miles south of me and i'm just on the edge of the worst part of the storm. Too dark to see anything good

I <3 omni color

LFKzxNl.jpg

Seedlings

90KUsRc.jpg

Look at the size of those jobito leaves freaking huge. 

02UH9gm.jpg

Mystery citrus- still no pods yet

Tsnd6SA.jpg

Azwkga1.jpg

root plugs I got from duffy are growing nice. I might order some more from him next year. 

L4DxK0X.jpg

Mosquito netting on order. I got 2 12x30' rolls. Should be enough to isolate a few select beds and the crosses. 

StvVNps.jpg

Baccatums

tKrRIm0.jpg

annums

uCHJt6i.jpg

Papa dreadie scotch bonnet

DOxY8lq.jpg

EUd2PbK.jpg

Orange wild brazil all streatchy. no pods yet

HPxsKTA.jpg

StvVNps.jpg

looking good! Your garden is in overdrive :onfire:

And it looks like the bad storms passed you by. Scary stuff when they're close by. I've had tornado's 2 miles from here...not fun!

Devv said:
looking good! Your garden is in overdrive :onfire:

And it looks like the bad storms passed you by. Scary stuff when they're close by. I've had tornado's 2 miles from here...not fun!

my wife and I both get excited for storms.... We was a little disappointed it wasn't closer but at the same time thankful as there was no property damage. I got a bunch of holes in leaves from hail in a previous storm but other than that every thing been good. 
KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Everything going here looks in control ..good work...keep me posted on how Your red moa looks

Will do, don't think i'm getting any pods yet. All my scotch bonnet plants really small still. 

Starting to get little pods forming on the mystery citrus. I need to move some plants out of the greenhouse. Picking up 3 bags of ocean forest tomorrow and potting up a few like mystery citrus, the orange wild brazil and the jobito. 

Mystery Citrus out getting a little partial sun for the evening while i'm at work

v2oms29.jpg

Jobitos leaves are giant

G2h8Vt4.jpg

Hey, Michael - looking really good. I found that the panel clips work well on my greenhouse. Only had one panel blow out and I happened to be standing there when it happened. As for the floor - I used half-to-quarter clean and it has worked well. My biggest complaint is rhat they don't sell replacement panels. They original panels didn' handle the UV radiation very well. I used 6-mil panels to replace them and they came with labels indicating the UV protected side.

Glad you are enjoying your unit - I have been very satisfied for the past six or seven years!

PaulG said:
Hey, Michael - looking really good. I found that the panel clips work well on my greenhouse. Only had one panel blow out and I happened to be standing there when it happened. As for the floor - I used half-to-quarter clean and it has worked well. My biggest complaint is rhat they don't sell replacement panels. They original panels didn' handle the UV radiation very well. I used 6-mil panels to replace them and they came with labels indicating the UV protected side.

Glad you are enjoying your unit - I have been very satisfied for the past six or seven years!

Thanks, It's pretty nice especially for the price. I did use all the panel clips but they seemed very floppy so went ahead and reinforced. With those storms we had over past few weeks i'm certain I would have lost a few panels. Even with the screws I had one come free, if it wasn't for the shade cloth It would have blown away. 

I've read similar issues with the panels not holding up over the years. I'm hoping the shade cloth helps prolong their life span. In the winter I will probably cover the unit with a tarp and some plywood to help protect it from the heavy snows. 

Devv said:
Just beautiful plants!

The leaves on that Jobitos are incredible!

Thanks, I got quite a bit of hail damage on them but nothing that they can't bounce back from. Have been seeing some significant signs of broad mite damage though. I doubt it's herbicide drift as my plants in the greenhouse are showing it too. 

I just got done spraying all the plants down real good with azamax since it was calm and cool out. I didn't see any real pests while out with the flashlight other than some moths. Had a huge hummingbird moth land on me but had forgot phone in the house so couldn't get a pic. 

Mosquito netting came today, kill two birds with one stone. No more birds eating my pods and isolating individual garden beds. I still have enough to do more.. I'm in the process of sewing weights onto the netting to weight it down on the edges. 

pods forming on the mystery citrus

Potted up the seedlings. Big pots I'm keeping other 3 i'm giving to a mexican coworker

UPLg10Y.jpg

Potted up the P. Dreadie scotch bonnet and the mystery citrus into 7 gallon pots

Mystery citrus

http://imgur.com/GwQUHik

Aji amarillo X Caribbean red habanero is a beast

http://imgur.com/L7hnv13

http://imgur.com/crpzfs1

ugh, imgur's new beta sucks

Back