• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

D3's 2016 Growlog

Well 2016 is already fast approaching and it's time to start thinking about what to grow this coming year. Last year I started seeds in mid Dec and was running out of room for plants by the time plant out finally came. I think this year I will start the majority in January. 

I was going through my seeds to send to a few and figured it was time to start formulating a list of what I want to grow. 
There was a lot that I grew 2015 that while ok, I didn't see myself growing again and a few that definitaly made the grow list again. a few off the top my head being paper lantern, baha goats and moa bonnets. Just the right heat levels and great as smoked powders. 

Here is my non official ever changing list. (so much for having a smaller grow this year...) Edited 1-6 to reflect actual current list. 

Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-4   Mystery Wine - Joyner
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-6   Moa Bonnet Yellow- mine
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5   Moa Bonnet Red- Jcw10tc
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5   Aji Mango- Ozzy
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-7   Bahamian Goat (pheno from last year with nice tail) mine
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5   Mako Kokoo - jcw10tc
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5   Habanero Hot Lemon - Semillas
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-3   Cor De Laranja - Semillas
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5   Murupi Amarela- Scorched
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-4   Cream Fatalii - Cone9
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-4   7pot Peach - jcw10tc
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5   Ice scream scorp - jcw10tc
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-3   Habanero Laranjada Grande - Semillas
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-3   Peach Bhut - jcw10tc
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-6   BG7 Chocolate - Jcw10tc
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-18 Mystery Citrus- Grant
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-13 Pimente De Breese- smileyguy697
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:        Pimenta bode loranja- smileyguy697
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-13 Goatsweed - Hogleg
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:        Douglah X Butch T f4- Hogleg
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-15Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow - Cone9
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:        SB7J Yellow - Ozzy2001
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-12 Beni Highlands - Jcw10tc
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-18 7pot Burgundy- mine
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-13 Carolina Yellow Hab - Jcw10tc
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-15 Aji Omni Color- Ajijoe
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-15 Bolsa de Ducle- mine
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-15 Queen Laurie - Cone9
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-15 Aji ahuachapau - Jcw10tc
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-16 Red Primo- Jcw10tc
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-13 Carbonero- Tony Sherwood
Sow: 01-07 Sprout:1-18 Devils Brain - Jcw10tc

Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Sugar rush peach- Scorched
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Sugar rush cream- Scorched
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Aji Dulce Rosita- Cheri
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Hot Rod Serrano X Maui Purple f1- Freeportbum
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        7pod orange x Cbbg7 f1- Freeportbum
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Aji Dulce Jobito - Cheri
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Aji Fantasy White- PeterS
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:1-20 Paper Lantern Hab
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Cherry Bomb- grocery store
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Big Jim- Santis
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Mata frade- 
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Yellow Jalapeno- 
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:        Aji Pineapple
Sow: 01-16 Sprout:1-20 Yellow Tepin
                    Sprout:1-30 P. Dreadie Select Bonnet

My Crosses- See Crossing Thread

Flowering/producing      Aji Pineapple x Butch T yellow f1   maybe f2 if lucky already flowering
Flowering/producing      Butch T yellow x Bahaminan goat f1  maybe f2 if lucky already frowering
Flowering/producing      Paper Lantern X Butch T yellow f1  maybe f2 if lucky already flowering
Flowering/producing      Not a 7pot y X Butch T yellow f1  maybe f2 of lucky already flowering
Flowering/producing      Carbonero X Butch T yellow f1  maybe f2 if lucky already flowering
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-6    7pot Burgundy X Mystery (I crossed it and forgot to write it down. I think it's CGN 21500 )
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-5    Lemon drop X Inca Berry f1 
Sow: 12-29 Sprout:1-6    Aji amarillo X Caribbean red hab f1

Devv said:
Like the netting, I'm using bird netting, and 3/8" rebar to hold it down. Just lay a piece lengthwise along the edge. Yeah, call me lazy, but it's cheap and easy ;)

I did bird netting last year but critters kept getting tangled in it. Kept finding dead toads and had a bird die from getting too tangled. 

I decided not to use it this year. 

Using mosquito netting for isolation is a great idea. I never thought of that. I'm going to try 5-gal paint strainers, bought a pack of 25 a couple months ago. Will try the mosquito netting next year.

Got my first ripe Chinense today

aaaand it's not in focus  :rolleyes: Peach bhut, not sure if it's growing true, looks too skinny but plant is loaded with them. Got seeds from Justin white. 

S4WBotO.jpg

Speaking of not growing true. Do these Cardi Yellow look right to you guys?

T7xdWZ1.jpg

Papa dreadie scotch bonnet- really happy with how these look

kR6n0Co.jpg

All the plants showing signs of mite damage. Could be herbicide drift but it's on all the plants in the greenhouse too. I doubt they would be affected by a yard treatment granule. 

I treated with azamax a few nights ago. Will treat again in a week. 

fbbgstS.jpg

goatsweed

bzgehot.jpg

nTxoPMD.jpg

mystery citrus in greenhouse

Efj8uix.jpg

Only plants that don't look as affected are annums. 

Ouch, good luck.  Hope you get it fixed whatever is going on.  I have seen similar in mine in past years and usually assume it was me spraying something even though I am pretty careful and never try to spray on windy days.  Maybe had mites, but haven't sprayed them.  Will keep this in mind this year if happens again.

jcw10tc said:
Ouch, good luck.  Hope you get it fixed whatever is going on.  I have seen similar in mine in past years and usually assume it was me spraying something even though I am pretty careful and never try to spray on windy days.  Maybe had mites, but haven't sprayed them.  Will keep this in mind this year if happens again.

it does seem to coincide with the yard treatments we have had done. This has happened twice and we had two yard treatments this summer. They spread a granule and haven't found any granules in my garden. Not to mention happening to plants that are on a greenhouse shelf 2.5 ft off the ground... Last time I treated with azamax it stopped happening... either way though. I started to see some small grasshopers and aphids so it was time to treat anyhow. 

I need another bottle of azamax as I'm almost out. Stuffs not cheap but I'll swear by it for a long time. 

D3monic said:

it does seem to coincide with the yard treatments we have had done. This has happened twice and we had two yard treatments this summer. They spread a granule and haven't found any granules in my garden. Not to mention happening to plants that are on a greenhouse shelf 2.5 ft off the ground... Last time I treated with azamax it stopped happening... either way though. I started to see some small grasshopers and aphids so it was time to treat anyhow. 

I need another bottle of azamax as I'm almost out. Stuffs not cheap but I'll swear by it for a long time. 
I will have to keep that in mind.  I see that stuff is pricey, how many gallons will the 4 oz. bottle make.   I have never had to spray before, I supposed I have had enough predators around to keep things in check mostly.  I do find a lot of holes in leaves and stuff but nothing to worry about.  Only time I have ever seen noticable aphids was last year on a branch I bagged for isolation so they had nothing to eat them.  But I have a new pest this year I have never seen before and have been finding a lot of them, but only 2 at a time.  I think they are wooly aphids.  Look like a little piece of cotton, do a bit of flying, and jump like a flea.   They seem to make some sort of nest or something on the branches of the peppers, leave this white web like residue and tend to hand there.  If they become a problem may have to spray, particularly since I have netted a lot of plants so won't have the predator bugs in there to keep them in line.

Peter S said:
Using mosquito netting for isolation is a great idea. I never thought of that. I'm going to try 5-gal paint strainers, bought a pack of 25 a couple months ago. Will try the mosquito netting next year.

This is the brand I ordered. Seems like it will work fairly well. 

https://www.amazon.com/Agfabric-10x30ft-Mosquito-Netting-barrier/dp/B01E3EE3YM/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1467339195&sr=1-1&keywords=Agfabric+2pack+of+10x30ft+Mosquito%2C+Garden+Bug+Insect+Netting%2CInsect+barrier+Bird+Net+Barrier+Hunting+Blind+Garden+Netting

jcw10tc said:
I will have to keep that in mind.  I see that stuff is pricey, how many gallons will the 4 oz. bottle make.   I have never had to spray before, I supposed I have had enough predators around to keep things in check mostly.  I do find a lot of holes in leaves and stuff but nothing to worry about.  Only time I have ever seen noticable aphids was last year on a branch I bagged for isolation so they had nothing to eat them.  But I have a new pest this year I have never seen before and have been finding a lot of them, but only 2 at a time.  I think they are wooly aphids.  Look like a little piece of cotton, do a bit of flying, and jump like a flea.   They seem to make some sort of nest or something on the branches of the peppers, leave this white web like residue and tend to hand there.  If they become a problem may have to spray, particularly since I have netted a lot of plants so won't have the predator bugs in there to keep them in line.

Here's the directions https://www.hydroempire.com/content/downloads/azamax_directions.pdf

I don't measure but I use about a tbs per gallon in my sprayer.

tbs = ~ 0.5 oz

Last year I only had to treat twice, this year I may treat 3 times. I'm still on my original bottle from last year. Almost out though. I'm pretty sure it's the 4oz 

D3monic said:

This is the brand I ordered. Seems like it will work fairly well. 

https://www.amazon.com/Agfabric-10x30ft-Mosquito-Netting-barrier/dp/B01E3EE3YM/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1467339195&sr=1-1&keywords=Agfabric+2pack+of+10x30ft+Mosquito%2C+Garden+Bug+Insect+Netting%2CInsect+barrier+Bird+Net+Barrier+Hunting+Blind+Garden+Netting

Here's the directions https://www.hydroempire.com/content/downloads/azamax_directions.pdf

I don't measure but I use about a tbs per gallon in my sprayer.

tbs = ~ 0.5 oz

Last year I only had to treat twice, this year I may treat 3 times. I'm still on my original bottle from last year. Almost out though. I'm pretty sure it's the 4oz 
That's not a bad price on the netting considering how much coverage you get. Hope your damaged plants get better soon. I'm going to order some Azamax. Do you use a water hose sprayer attachment? I just started using one of these this year, and works really well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UER1S2I.

Peter S said:
That's not a bad price on the netting considering how much coverage you get. Hope your damaged plants get better soon. I'm going to order some Azamax. Do you use a water hose sprayer attachment? I just started using one of these this year, and works really well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UER1S2I.

No I just use their hand pump sprayer. One sprayer full is enough to hit the entire garden. 

https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-1002-48-Ounce-Multi-Purpose-Sprayer/dp/B00002N8OB/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1467585482&sr=1-2&keywords=hand+pump+sprayer

Sorry to hear about the plants. When was the last time you fed them.

It almost looks like the couple of plants, I over did with ferts.

Good luck. I hope they turn around for you.

OCD Chilehead said:
Sorry to hear about the plants. When was the last time you fed them.

It almost looks like the couple of plants, I over did with ferts.

Good luck. I hope they turn around for you.

Plants in raised beds I haven't given any ferts other than some cal/mag once.  Potted plants are in Ocean Forest and once every ten waterings or so they get a weak cal/mag and cannasuer A&B fert. 

I'll treat again with azamax soon, I should of done it this weekend as it was nice and cool out. Supposed to be in 90s rest the week here. I prefer to do it on a day there's no breeze though.

Lots of damage to plants yesterday, had a micro cell pass through, hail beat up s lot of plants and strong winds snapped branches, blew my pots over and even blew over the large pot wit aji Amarillo x Caribbean red hab over. My patio furniture blew off porch and pergola moved eight inches to up against the house. Greenhouse suffered no damage but mystery citrus lost about 6 inches off the top from the wind.

Back