dealing with customs

I figured since theres alot of people always asking about dealing with customs for sending seeds,pods,hot sauce to another country. but theres not a thread designated for this discussion, so why not make a thread for this ? everyone here can benefit, new & exsisting members.

instead of people always asking or posting what they do in other threads, & then people always asking again latter. why not people discuss what they do in this thread for sending seeds,pods,hot sauce. & what are the odds of them getting through customs or place links to your country customs to findout what is needed to send the stuff & hope it arrives.

sorry I cant help because I've never dealt with sending stuff out of the USA or into the USA so I dont know. but this thread is not just for the USA, its also for you aussies,canada,mexico,europe,south america,etc....

I know of someone thats going home to nigeria for a vaction, & hes willing to find me some local chiles.
I have a couple questions.

- basic birthday cards is common for sending seeds, do any of you make it kinda obvious thats its a B-day card like write happy B-day on the outside or is it just a given its just a card & people dont pay attention to those envelopes.

- whats the ammount of seeds you can put inside a B-day card w/o it getting noticed of it having seeds inside ? would it hurt the seeds if they were scotch taped to the card so they stay inplace.

- what kind of hassle could a person expect or has to deal with to bring back some dried pods from nigeria to usa ?

- is there a weight limit before being charged a tax on the pods, or would customs take'em because maybe insects inside the pods, just a chance that could happen & that I know customs are really big on preventing foreign insects from spreading.

IMO the cards are more of a protective measure and also to disguise the actuall contents, so you can't tell from the outside that there are little baggies in there. I use two postcards instead of a birthday card very often for the same effect. I'd write happy b'day on the outside when sending seed to countries that are known for their restrictions. Tape the baggies to the card, so you won't have a pile of them on one side of the envelope. I wouldn't tape the seeds directly to the card, put them in plastic or paper cards first. I've seen seeds that were smuggled underneath the stamp on a postcard (!) and were still okay, but I wouldn't take that risk.
I've had people bringing me dried pods from various countries with no problems, but I guess some Americans should answer that.
Just try it at home and you'll see how many seeds you can fit in without them being too obvious. I've never had problems sending seeds to the US so far.

I sent seeds to Chiliac and stuffed the enevlope, quite bulging and no problems. Maybe I was just lucky but I think the card envelopes they just figure you are sending a little gift.

I should mention that importing seeds to Germany is no problem. Some people wrote "pepper seeds" on the envelope and it arrived without a problem. I agree with Jackie though that the cards do a good job making customs think you are sending a small gift or sth like that. It's definitely a good idea when sending seeds to a country with import restrictions!

Its usually only a problem in warm climates where annuals become perennials and can become invasive. I've heard that some places have very strict penalties for smuggling seeds or plant material.

POTAWIE said:
Its usually only a problem in warm climates where annuals become perennials and can become invasive. I've heard that some places have very strict penalties for smuggling seeds or plant material.
The only way of importing "seeds or plant material" legally here is a permit from the "Israel Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development", which demands endless documents and tests to ensure the plant is the healthiest plant on earth. so basically you need to REALLY WANT IT first and then A LOT of free time. :shocked:
I just smuggle mine. :lol:

Omri said:
The only way of importing "seeds or plant material" legally here is a permit from the "Israel Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development", which demands endless documents and tests to ensure the plant is the healthiest plant on earth. so basically you need to REALLY WANT IT first and then A LOT of free time. :shocked:
I just smuggle mine. :lol:

Love it..You pirate you..Wer smugle dem Nagas through the back me lads yo ho ho and a bottle of naga sauce :lol:

2.gif

New Zealand tends to mimic Australia for our regulations.

It is legal to import chili seeds.

So far I have received with no problems what so ever seeds from Canada and Australia.

Both were sent in a card in a normal airmail envelope.

I'm planning on sending seeds from any crops back overseas next year using the same card technique.

Customs Suck Arse Again Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

this time the smartarses opened the envelope, took out the seeds, left the nice wrapped paper and note, and put their notes in,, Taped back up and stuck Stupid stickers on it..

100_1542.jpg

Well sucked in Gimps, i already have a shitlload of them so shove the $42.50 ya want to send them back,, Oh yea $42.50 to send ,, No its $2.05 as under 50gms... wow think i need to charge more for postage if thats the going rate for 2 packs of seeds

unreal..

I ordered quite a number of stuff from http://www.pepperjoe.com/ a few years back and had no issues with getting it via Auspost. Maybe they've changed the regulations, or as mentioned above with all the stuff you import / export the sirens at customs probably go off every time they scan your address. :-)

Back