• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv: Someday, I'll get this right, South Tejas Growing

Well I'm way behind this season. Hopefully I can do better....no guarantees!

I'm still trying to figure out this "new normal", my brother said it took him a full year.

Any way:

Last year, could be the year before as they all seem to meld together now :rolleyes:  I cleared the Crepe Myrtle trees that were invading the garden root-wise. That spot WAS the original garden 31 years ago.

12.jpg

Now that area looks like this:

21.jpg

I added 600 square feet to the garden, the soil is pretty darned saweet! Back then I added 16 yards of Black Gumbo to help with the drainage. Then LB wanted a pool, which is now gone. Garden reclaimed! The goal is to have a crop rotation so we can keep diseases at bay, as I mainly used the 1,600 sf fenced area for night shades.

During the off season I made some Bio Char. I need to take pics of the new kiln I made, that will come later.

Crunched char. I use the tractor to crush it on the driveway, it's laid on an old sheet to make it easier to pick up.

13.jpg

I use the old chipper-shredder to grind it. First I wet it so the dust isn't an issue.

15.jpg

14.jpg

Then I grind all this, and this is just a sample of what gets ground.

16.jpg

Then it rests here until we add it to the soil.

41.jpg

Walchit said:
So it's not just like some lump charcoal when your done? I wonder if a guy could use a little less wood in the outside barrel and come out with some good lump. Or maybe start with bigger chunks/logs.
Those are some mighty fine looking pieces of mesquite you have there btw. I'd probably have to use oak, pecan or maybe some fruit wood. I don't think we have e mesquite here
This is weird. I know I answered this and posted pics. AND, PaulG had posted, and I answered that. A restore from a backup?

So yes, it's lump charcoal.

153.jpg

154.jpg

I dunno why it came out gray in the barrel. 4 tries did :rolleyes:

ducky.jpg

All the sunshade is up, and most of the bird netting as well. We're @ 95°, glad it's up.

169.jpg

The reason I took this pic is to show the difference between good sunshade and cheap sunshade. Most of what I have is the good stuff. I have 2 10x20' pieces of the cheapo stuff. It's 2 years old and is falling apart. Yeah, I gave the Amazon stuff a shot.

155.jpg

Thunder Mystery

157.jpg

Thunder 3

159.jpg

Here you go Paul, Sugar Rush Cream. This how all my pods have ever looked like. Not correct?  Regardless, they are good :P

Devv said:

Thunder Mystery
Thunder 3

Here you go Paul, Sugar Rush Cream. This how all my pods have ever looked like. Not correct?  Regardless, they are good :P
I don't know what the proper phenotype is, Scott.
Maybe when they go outside, the pods will
look different on my plant. Right now, they
are little round balls.

Devv said:

Thunder Mystery in the dirt. I didn't think I had any with the green pods.
Will be interesting to see how those color up!

Thunder 3 in the dirt.

Thunder 2 in the dirt.
All of your Purple thunder plants look really good.
Mine have a long ways to go to catch up, if they
recover from the aphid infestation.

Devv said:

TripPaul Threat White in the dirt.
Ditto this beauty. Those are great looking pods.
You're killin' it this year, my friend!

PaulG said:
I don't know what the proper phenotype is, Scott.
Maybe when they go outside, the pods will
look different on my plant. Right now, they
are little round balls.

All of your Purple thunder plants look really good.
Mine have a long ways to go to catch up, if they
recover from the aphid infestation.

Ditto this beauty. Those are great looking pods.
You're killin' it this year, my friend!
Thanks Paul!

And thanks for the seeds!

171.jpg

172.jpg

Finally we have some spring produce ;)

Mr.joe said:
What percentage shade cloth are you using?
Most of it is 30%. Out of the 2,200sf we have covered a 20x20' piece is 40%. I really didn't see a difference between the 2.

Without it we get sun-scald on all the night shades, and it's up a month early this year, mainly because I lost a few peppers already to scalding.
I usually buy it from the https://www.greenhousemegastore.com, it's really good stuff. I'm in year 7 or 8 with the oldest cloth and it's still really good.
I'll be replacing the cheap stuff for next year.
I also have chicken wire on most of the original 1,600sf, and use bird netting as well to keep the birds from decimating the maters.
I have been tempted to box in the Peach trees with chicken wire as well. My brother and his wife were here in February, and said they never saw so many birds before. It's kind of wild out here ;)

@ Mr. Joe
@ Walchit

Believe it or not, I find it relaxing to process the wood. I don't kill myself doing it and the end result is free charcoal.

PtMD989: I work with a guy who made charcoal very similar to your setup Devv. He used Apple wood, said it burns/cooks great with hardly any ash, compared to the store bought charcoal.

I originally got the idea when my brother-inlaw brought some lump charcoal to the deer lease close to 20 years ago, and have been making it ever since. One afternoon while I was cooking wood, drinking a cold one on the porch, while reading National Geographic, I stumbled on an article about Terra Preta...AKA Biochar. I made a batch, crushed it and tilled in 3"s worth to a small plot, then planted corn in that plot and in the untreated soil. The results got me hooked.

Back