• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Wow you got some nice harvests going. Did you end up stuffing those bells?

Glad you deactivated that slimer... Much bigger than anything I found in my plots. I'll send em packing to Tejas and let em dry out. Unfortunately I think it's hoppers, not snails or slugs.

maximumcapsicum said:
Wow you got some nice harvests going. Did you end up stuffing those bells?

Glad you deactivated that slimer... Much bigger than anything I found in my plots. I'll send em packing to Tejas and let em dry out. Unfortunately I think it's hoppers, not snails or slugs.
Thanks Adam!

The bells are still on the table. LB will find a home for them ;)

Oh no, keep yours in Ga.!

Yeah hoppers, they damage a lot of my crops. But I have the Turkles in the fields, and the lizards are working hard as well.

Seacowboy said:
Can't wait to get off this tug boat with a horrible cook and get to making some fine vittles like that myself.
Sorry 'bout your cook. Maybe the cook needs more whiskey, or could it be the other way?

Hoping a stay a home base is close!

jedisushi06 said:
I'll say !

Wow. What's been going on around here. Lots of cool pics. Glad to see everything is going well. A good meal after a hard days work. Thanks for the update. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Wow I can't believe you have pods on all those supers already!!!!! Damn dude! Mine are still 6 weeks or so out from setting first fruit.

If you start to get too MANY pods I'm always up for fresh produce and will return the favor when the heat stops yours from pollenating later. ;) 

Booze wouldn't help him. He doesn't have a whole lot upstairs and is just lazy. Not that he can't put out good meals, he just doesn't want to, and I have to deal with being pleasant and nice in my 'coaching sessions' since its 2014 and people have feelings. Please, 1 job and 1 job only out here, make food for 8 guys and you have 12 hrs to do it, hot dogs, grilled cheese or frozen lasagna does not cut the mustard.

Don't want to side track your super grow and fine meal. Carry on.

and yes our days are numbered for this hitch, finish loading here in New Orleans and take her back to Tampa to get off wednesday. Can taste beer and smell the bbq already.

Can't beat chow straight from your own garden.

Great  spread on the onions! What varieties are those?
Wind is just tough on onions. Even my VA wind has mangled them some especially with floppy row cover early on.

Already diggin' taters just blows my mind.

Stay cool.

MeatHead1313 said:
Things are looking outstanding Scott! You've really kicked into overdrive now. Love the harvest and food shots
Thanks Chris!

It's grow time here! And it's going to get really hot soon, so far the weather has been holding up really well.

OCD Chilehead said:
Wow. What's been going on around here. Lots of cool pics. Glad to see everything is going well. A good meal after a hard days work. Thanks for the update. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Thanks Chuck!

Why do the weekends just fly by?

TrentL said:
Wow I can't believe you have pods on all those supers already!!!!! Damn dude! Mine are still 6 weeks or so out from setting first fruit.

If you start to get too MANY pods I'm always up for fresh produce and will return the favor when the heat stops yours from pollenating later. ;)
Thanks Trent!

Sounds like a plan, I hope I can deliver!

Seacowboy said:
Booze wouldn't help him. He doesn't have a whole lot upstairs and is just lazy. Not that he can't put out good meals, he just doesn't want to, and I have to deal with being pleasant and nice in my 'coaching sessions' since its 2014 and people have feelings. Please, 1 job and 1 job only out here, make food for 8 guys and you have 12 hrs to do it, hot dogs, grilled cheese or frozen lasagna does not cut the mustard.

Don't want to side track your super grow and fine meal. Carry on.

and yes our days are numbered for this hitch, finish loading here in New Orleans and take her back to Tampa to get off wednesday. Can taste beer and smell the bbq already.
Sorry 'bout the cook. I hope he can be replaced soon. Hard work deserves good food!

Just 4 more days! AND have a beer on me ;)

wahlee76 said:
Plants and pods are looking great! Guess I'll have to move to Texas :P
Thanks Wally!
Tejas weather would be quite a shock for you, it was for me when I first got here. Takes a few years to get used to it, then you start to like it :shh:

JJJessee said:
Can't beat chow straight from your own garden.

Great  spread on the onions! What varieties are those?
Wind is just tough on onions. Even my VA wind has mangled them some especially with floppy row cover early on.

Already diggin' taters just blows my mind.

Stay cool.
Nothing beats fresh organic produce!

I planted Red Grano, Texas Sweet (white), and 1015. So far the Texas Sweets are producing the best.

I always plant Onions in mid Jan. and potatoes in mid Feb. They seem a few weeks early, but when they're done they tell you. I'm hoping the taters I still have in the ground produce better than the ones I've dug so far.

Wow Scott!  Garden has been keeping you busy for sure.  Awesome harvests too.  Been raining nonstop here.   Loving the pictures of the hens and the gobbler.  I agree about just letting them be.  Even when I'm in the treestand hunting deer I sometimes just take a picture or video them with my phone cause they are just a beautiful part of nature.  Even like to take videos of the deer too.  Then it can last forever.  But sometimes they just have to get it ;)   Your plants are gonna be ginormous by the end of the year.  Wings and poppers are a favorite meal of mine no doubt,  bet that was tasty!  Have a good Sunday man,  I'll be sitting in the house trying to entertain my 2 kids.

Jamison said:
Wow Scott!  Garden has been keeping you busy for sure.  Awesome harvests too.  Been raining nonstop here.   Loving the pictures of the hens and the gobbler.  I agree about just letting them be.  Even when I'm in the treestand hunting deer I sometimes just take a picture or video them with my phone cause they are just a beautiful part of nature.  Even like to take videos of the deer too.  Then it can last forever.  But sometimes they just have to get it ;)   Your plants are gonna be ginormous by the end of the year.  Wings and poppers are a favorite meal of mine no doubt,  bet that was tasty!  Have a good Sunday man,  I'll be sitting in the house trying to entertain my 2 kids.
Yeah it has! But it's almost on auto pilot. Cool thing is the rain last Monday night has the ground nice and moist. I have never, ever gone this long without watering. I may have to water tomorrow, and will dig down to check.

I've been hearing the turkeys for 4-5 weeks, nice to see them on my place! I brought my camera out hunting a lot for a while. Have some great shots of a doe that was 20 yds from the ground blind, my son and I kept laughing because she would look up every time the shutter clicked. We finally spooked her when she was 10' from us. That was a fun time.
Sorry you're stuck in the house, but rain is a good thing unless it rains too much. And that problem has not been an issue here in quite a while :tear:

Have a great week!

PaulG said:
Alright pod harvesting!  Your plants are really stepping it up a notch, brother!
Thanks Paul!

They're coming together, hoping for a nice (large) harvest soon!

Here's a few garden shots:

See the smaller plants on the right, to the left of the railroad ties? I've been trying to figure out what's going on with them. That's where the supers were last year until December. My cover crop was nonexistent because it got cold and it did poorly germ wise. The rest was already well established. Also once I pulled the plants and added the heavy topsoil I set aside, tilling this in. Then adding RCW and tilling that in. I was out of manure. So now the rest of the garden is reaping the benefits of the cover crops and manure. Not this section. So I'm going to crank the nutes into high gear and hope I don't kill them :shh:
829.JPG

Corn tassels are at around 8', tom's are going nuts!
830.JPG

831.JPG

832.JPG

The area near the white 5 gal bucket is my problem area. I'm sure the RCW exacerbated the lack of manure :violin: :banghead: Lesson learned...
833.JPG

"Some" plants are getting big ;)
834.JPG

And this is what I want to see. This is the only plant really loading up. I hope the rest get jealous and follow this example :D
835.JPG

PaulG said:
Your garden looks great - the pics really show the importance of
amending the soil before plant out.  Good luck kicking the problem
area into lush growth!
Thanks Paul!

Lesson learned, I tried in that area to grow the cover crop. They just wouldn't germ, until it was time to till...LOL Shame on me for not finding some manure :shh:

thirdcoasttx said:
Man I wish I had your problems!!! Your garden is beautiful!
Thanks!

But a ton of work, which I'll sign up for any day!

Edit: which not witch...LOL

Back