• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

HillBilly Jeff said:
Glad you're getting wet.  Might get some here.  Those look like some young squirrels...when does your season start :)

Yeah, they are kids ;)

I don't know when Squirrel season starts. Wife would kill me if I shot them.

We got another 1.5"s, so that's 3.4"s in one day :party: It knocked our Internet down for an hour. A good rain always breaks the wireless link.

Didn't get to see it but I'm sure some cow pies moved downhill. AND I'm sure the cows are smilin' :rolleyes:
We usually see two of these most years for a few weeks, so far just one.

872.JPG

Thanks Jeff!

Today's pull after all that wonderful rain. Rain in May? Been like 20 years ;)

873.JPG

One of those MoA's on the right is looking better.
874.JPG

Hot sauce candidates
875.JPG

I said I would post the pizza recipes when I was happy, I'm 95% there so here goes:
876.JPG

The crust:

This recipe is the best we've ever made. We're going for NY style pizza like when we visit family. Here's the URL:

http://feelingfoodish.com/the-best-new-york-style-pizza-dough/

The sauce:

1qt tomatoes, we used ones we canned
3oz tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2tsp sugar
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil

Cook the sauce for at least an hour. AND use whole milk Mozzarella cheese. Tweak the sauce as you see fit and enjoy!

Mangia, mangia!

Great looking pulls Scott! How's the 10 day forecast for you? We've got rain and storms predicted from tomorrow through til next Monday. Seems about right as my parents and sister are here from Wednesday til Monday lol. Will definitely have to try the pizza sauce recipe as well. I'm assuming the pepper mentioned is black pepper?

Glad to hear about the rain. Nice looking pods. I've been waiting for that pizza recipe. Thanks. Going to give it a try soon. Had to laugh about the spread sheet. We're bound to make mistakes with all the multitasking we do. I guess that's pretty minor. Lol. Thanks for sharing and enjoy those pods.

I'll bet it feels like serendipity when you get more than a half an inch of rain at one time, eh? :party: This time next week you'll have twice the harvest! Thanks for the pizza sauce recipe... when the weather's cold I bake bread, and sometimes make a pizza at the same time, so this'll come in handy.

I hear ya 'bout the wildlife floorshow... our bird feeders provide hours of entertainment, and in the spring we watch the nesting boxes. We have a family of Wrens building a nest in one box this weekend and a family of 6 Chickadees in the other. I got this (blurry) vid on Monday... about day 3 after hatching. In 2 weeks the chicks should fledge and go.
http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/heebner/media/SANY1344_zps291a8f00.mp4.html

Keep 'em green buddy!

+1! on the rain, I'll bet you're ahead of us for the month, though I'm not complaining too much.
Nice photo of the duck in the tree. We have wood ducks up here, but I've never seen one up close. 
Your jungle is coming along nicely and can only get better with those bodacious rains and all that mulch.

Time to kick back and just watch it grow for a spell and enjoy. 

Jeez Scott!  Took me about 45 minutes to just get caught up.  Glad to hear about the rain in May.  You know what they say "May showers bring SuperHot flowers :fireball: ".  Well I guess they don't say that,  but sounds kinda good lol.   Everything is looking spectacular and on point brotha!  Those were some seriously nice deer with the bow!!!  And the gun kill on the wall,  def a mounter for sure.  If they weren't so damn expensive to mount I'd do em all.  I even want a doe mount for some reason????  Call me crazy cause I am!  Thanks for them pics,  now you got me all pumped up for bow hunting.  Off to my first day of work down in TN!  Wish me luck and enjoy your week bud!

Great updates, Scott.  Glad you're getting some rain.  Our forecast is for 80% or better chance of rain all week, so we should at least get some.

About the ants, unless you actually see them in association with aphids, don't be too quick to try to get rid of them.  As Adam said, that one in the Manzano flower may be a pollinator.  I know I've read somewhere that (non-aphid-farming) ants have taken up the slack for the sometimes-missing honey bees.  I don't recognize the aphid-farmers on sight, but I do have one nest of big red ants in the garden that I let be.  I know they aren't farmers.

Thanks for the pizza recipe, especially the link to making the dough.  That'll come in handy if I ever grow enough wheat to start testing for dough-making quality.

Maybe you or someone else said, and I just missed it, but is that a black-bellied whistling duck?  Aren't they kind of rare?  What sort of bird is that eating the dog food?  I saw a pair of summer tanagers here the other day, a first on my place, but I don't know if they will nest here, or were just passing through.  Since I was mowing and tilling that day, probably the latter.

maximumcapsicum said:
Whoa man this is getting serious. Pull looks awesome. Lovin the production on the maters.
Thanks Adam!

Things are just getting rolling here ;) With 130 plants I should be swamped!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Awesome garden, if your luck is like mine....that pathway shall soon be gone! Time to crawl and harvest ;) Glad you guys are getting some much needed rain!
Thanks Chris!

The plants are 3' apart and the rows are 4', I'm sure by the end of summer I'll be crawling for sure. Last year was 3' and 3', it was a jungle!

This has been a great month for us rain wise, 3.6" yesterday and 6"s total, like the old days. I hope it keeps it up :party:

MeatHead1313 said:
Great looking pulls Scott! How's the 10 day forecast for you? We've got rain and storms predicted from tomorrow through til next Monday. Seems about right as my parents and sister are here from Wednesday til Monday lol. Will definitely have to try the pizza sauce recipe as well. I'm assuming the pepper mentioned is black pepper?
Thanks Chris!

Rain chances are lessening and temps a high of 90-92° later in the week.

Yes sir, black pepper, I should have clarified that.

GA Growhead said:
Nice pull!
Love the sunflower up close shots!
Can't wait to hear how the re mapping of the plants turns out. Hope it all adds up!
Thanks Jason!

I was really careful when I pulled seedlings from the trays, they were spread sheeted. As they went into solo cups from the trays, which I did immediately, I wrote the position down on a plastic fork and stuck it in the solo. When I planted I did it one plant, write down the location on a clipboard, and then made a spread sheet. What helped was the white pods on a plant at the end, I had it as a Jigsaw, at the other end was a white bhut. The Jigsaw now has pods and they are nice and bumpy like yours. So this got me thinking... ;) So I'm hoping I have everything straight now. This was blowing my brain up!

OCD Chilehead said:
Glad to hear about the rain. Nice looking pods. I've been waiting for that pizza recipe. Thanks. Going to give it a try soon. Had to laugh about the spread sheet. We're bound to make mistakes with all the multitasking we do. I guess that's pretty minor. Lol. Thanks for sharing and enjoy those pods.
Thanks Chuck!

The crust recipe is 100% perfect! We tried our own recipes and came close. We tried store bought crust too. The sauce is a really good starting place; we all have our taste preferences so tweaking is a good thing.

Where I screwed up with the spreadsheet is using East as the top and using columns as plant rows. Next year North will be the top, just works better in my head. Another hint was Bell's at the top (east) and I knew they were West.

stickman said:
I'll bet it feels like serendipity when you get more than a half an inch of rain at one time, eh? :party: This time next week you'll have twice the harvest! Thanks for the pizza sauce recipe... when the weather's cold I bake bread, and sometimes make a pizza at the same time, so this'll come in handy.

I hear ya 'bout the wildlife floorshow... our bird feeders provide hours of entertainment, and in the spring we watch the nesting boxes. We have a family of Wrens building a nest in one box this weekend and a family of 6 Chickadees in the other. I got this (blurry) vid on Monday... about day 3 after hatching. In 2 weeks the chicks should fledge and go.
http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/heebner/media/SANY1344_zps291a8f00.mp4.html

Keep 'em green buddy!
Thanks Rick!

It's been 10 years of drought here, garden of 2012 never saw a drop of rain until September. So this rain is a big deal for us. It was good enough to fill the tanks (made made ponds) on many ranches. And North of us got 7"s! Fantastic for the aquifers and hopefully Medina lake which was at 4%. Of course everyone's like "more, we need more". Not greedy,it's just been so long.

Glad you have the chicks to watch, I love watching wildlife around here. Since we fenced our dogs in and the neighbor that had 6 running loose moved I see more and more wildlife. I shot those picks through a window as the food bowls were two feet from the back door.

JJJessee said:
+1! on the rain, I'll bet you're ahead of us for the month, though I'm not complaining too much.
Nice photo of the duck in the tree. We have wood ducks up here, but I've never seen one up close. 
Your jungle is coming along nicely and can only get better with those bodacious rains and all that mulch.

Time to kick back and just watch it grow for a spell and enjoy. 
Thanks JJJ!

Rain is a good thing! Rain grows corn, corn makes whiskey...I'm sure you know the rest. It was a major blessing for this region for sure; ranchers have been selling off cattle it's been so dry. So if beefs high, our drought is part of the reason.

And as you say the garden IS in kick back and watch it grow mode. 2 weeks ago we got 1.9"s and I went 7 days without having to water. That's monumental for me; 2 or 3 days was the best I could go prior to adding the heavy soil and mulch.

I may actually be on to something here ;)
That's what they told me they were, wood ducks. If they have a more formal name I don't know it. Really pretty ducks aren't they?
Jamison said:
Jeez Scott!  Took me about 45 minutes to just get caught up.  Glad to hear about the rain in May.  You know what they say "May showers bring SuperHot flowers :fireball: ".  Well I guess they don't say that,  but sounds kinda good lol.   Everything is looking spectacular and on point brotha!  Those were some seriously nice deer with the bow!!!  And the gun kill on the wall,  def a mounter for sure.  If they weren't so damn expensive to mount I'd do em all.  I even want a doe mount for some reason????  Call me crazy cause I am!  Thanks for them pics,  now you got me all pumped up for bow hunting.  Off to my first day of work down in TN!  Wish me luck and enjoy your week bud!
Thanks Jamison!

And those showers should bring flowers. I have a pic from 5 years ago when it rained and 3 weeks later things just exploded, I'd love to post it but LB was in pretty skimpy summer clothes :shh:

Glad they got you going, I boiled those bow kills in a turkey fryer. I've been wanting to make plaques for them, maybe someday. They did give me some great rewarding memories; that and we made a ton of sausage and chopped meat. Venison @ 50% with a fatty brisket makes killer chopped meat.

Good luck on the new job, I'm sure it will go well. I bet they call you a yankee ;)

It's a part of Southern culture, and you'll be fine.

Sawyer said:
Great updates, Scott.  Glad you're getting some rain.  Our forecast is for 80% or better chance of rain all week, so we should at least get some.

About the ants, unless you actually see them in association with aphids, don't be too quick to try to get rid of them.  As Adam said, that one in the Manzano flower may be a pollinator.  I know I've read somewhere that (non-aphid-farming) ants have taken up the slack for the sometimes-missing honey bees.  I don't recognize the aphid-farmers on sight, but I do have one nest of big red ants in the garden that I let be.  I know they aren't farmers.

Thanks for the pizza recipe, especially the link to making the dough.  That'll come in handy if I ever grow enough wheat to start testing for dough-making quality.

Maybe you or someone else said, and I just missed it, but is that a black-bellied whistling duck?  Aren't they kind of rare?  What sort of bird is that eating the dog food?  I saw a pair of summer tanagers here the other day, a first on my place, but I don't know if they will nest here, or were just passing through.  Since I was mowing and tilling that day, probably the latter.
Thanks John!

Good info on the ants, I haven't seen Aphids except on one plant early on. My fear is they will get into the house at some point.

Enjoy that Pizza! That dough is 100% right on.

Well that duck looks exactly like the one in your link. The previous owners who sold us the place 25 years ago just told us that 2 wood ducks show up every year.

I don't know about the bird, we have so many different types and I've never taken the time to figure them out. One I've been trying to take pics of is the green jay, I searched on the site you provided. A shy and elusive bird that still raids the dog food bowl. One of these days I'll snap a few of them.

This morning was a trip! On the south and west side of the house we have 80% PVC sun shades covering the windows. They make a huge difference in the room temps and electric bill. It sounded like it was raining; but it wasn't.

As I went outside to get in my truck, I heard this racket East of me. About that time I started getting hit with all these flying bugs, BIG bugs. The truck was backed into the driveway so I opened the passenger door and started the truck. My next goal was to lock the side entrance to the shop; not gonna happen. Thousands of these flying critters were swarming around the Mercury vapor light and so many were on the slab by the door I said "uh nah".

Getting into the truck was like one of those movies where they show all the bugs swarming, they were everywhere!

Here's a not so good pic of them through my windshield. The black spots on the ground are the bugs.

877.jpg

We researched at work and found they were "cut ant queens", a delicacy south of here; I can assure you not here! They come out after a heavy rain. But in 25 years we've never had this many. This invasion was 95 times greater than ever seen before. Perhaps because of the drought. I sprayed them when I got home, the ones that were not in the dogs yard.

TS Moruga X Bhut-Spicegeist:

I brought this to work for a taste test.

I should have taken a pic before slicing it in two. It's a huge pod, about twice the size as most.

878.jpg

Thick walled and extremely aromatic; with a lot of oil and a nice large placenta.
879.jpg

The fragrance was citrus for sure, the taste was not that strong but good. I can't get a handle of what to compare it too. The heat was definitely in the super category, almost an instant burn. Affected the tongue and mouth mostly and lasted for about 10 minutes.

I have to go, we're under tornado warnings for a while..

Devv said:
TS Moruga X Bhut-Spicegeist:

I brought this to work for a taste test.

I should have taken a pic before slicing it in two. It's a huge pod, about twice the size as most.

878.jpg

Thick walled and extremely aromatic; with a lot of oil and a nice large placenta.
879.jpg

The fragrance was citrus for sure, the taste was not that strong but good. I can't get a handle of what to compare it too. The heat was definitely in the super category, almost an instant burn. Affected the tongue and mouth mostly and lasted for about 10 minutes.

I have to go, we're under tornado warnings for a while..

Wow, very cool.  I wasn't sure what kind of a bhut it was... now I'm guessing it was a Yellow Bhut.  They're not as hot as the reds and browns, but they are still one of my favorites.  The F1 grew red, so you've got something special there with the yellow...

So not cool...

880.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
We just had some amazing t-storms...plants and tress bent to ground.
Scarey stuff out there tonight!

Spicegeist said:

Wow, very cool.  I wasn't sure what kind of a bhut it was... now I'm guessing it was a Yellow Bhut.  They're not as hot as the reds and browns, but they are still one of my favorites.  The F1 grew red, so you've got something special there with the yellow...
Oh it was plenty hot! But not off the charts. I want to see how the later on pods do. I feel the first is not what the plant will do as it matures.

The storms are producing 2" diameter hail. Hoping we don't see that here!

Hope the worst of the storm steers clear of you.  That's pretty wild about the ants.  I'd have been tempted to just go back inside.

That green jay is a beautiful bird; I hope you do get a picture of it.  I've seen wood ducks in the wild before, so I knew yours wasn't that.  A wood duck will make you jerk your head around in double-take.  It's like, "wow, is that thing real?"

I made the same spreadsheet mistake as you, with a row of radishes I planted.  One of the varieties near one end is a purple radish, though, so that enabled me to figure out the mistake.

BTW, I wanted to thank you for keeping your image files down to a reasonable size.  A few hundred kilobytes at most is plenty big enough and I noticed many of yours are less than a hundred.  (And still show plenty of detail.)  I've had to quit visiting some glogs because of the multiple Megabyte images on a page.  I've got DSL, but I rarely get the D/L speed I pay for.

jedisushi06 said:
Nice looking pod you got there Scott!  Rain is always good, i wish i had learned to play a bluegrass as a kid, my daughter is learning the banjo this summer again, she's only 9 years old.  Those Squirrels make excellent pie!
Thanks Mikey!

It was a decent pod, but everything that ripened this last few days has been a bit bland. I'll blame it on all the rain. I'm sure I'll have many more that will do it justice flavor wise. That pod was simply a beast!

Have you ever played this for her?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE

I saw this movie over 40 years ago when it came out. If this doesn't inspire nothing will ;) I still play it!

Spicegeist said:
Some serious weather... hang in there.
Thanks Charles,

We sat and watched the news, and it petered out just North of us. So far we have been lucky here. We're 5 miles West and a little North of town. In the last 25 years they've had two major roof and vehicle damaging hail storms; 1 tornado last spring that tore up the West side of town. And 2 more that hit just 2 miles South of us. The tornado last year passed right over our place as it was breaking up and dropped a bunch of trash it sucked up on our place, but we had zero damage. ;)

Sawyer said:
Hope the worst of the storm steers clear of you. We were lucky, it died off and turned East, another blessing.  That's pretty wild about the ants.  I'd have been tempted to just go back inside. Hah! me too, they were everywhere. I did quite a bit of reading. I always thought they came out of our ground. They don't, they swarm and come to you, attracted by light. And they setup in the shady areas. I sprayed again this afternoon. I will be looking for new nests, and in the future, now that I know what they are, no mercy!

That green jay is a beautiful bird; I hope you do get a picture of it. I have a few of rather dull looking pics taken through a window. They are very wary and hard to photograph, but I will score one someday ;)  I've seen wood ducks in the wild before, so I knew yours wasn't that.  A wood duck will make you jerk your head around in double-take.  It's like, "wow, is that thing real?"

I agree, a beautiful creature. The markings are extraordinary!

I made the same spreadsheet mistake as you, with a row of radishes I planted.  One of the varieties near one end is a purple radish, though, so that enabled me to figure out the mistake.

It was driving me nuts, none of the plants seemed to match. Only when enough got to pod producing was I able to discern. At least I should be mostly correct now. how embarrassing..LOL

BTW, I wanted to thank you for keeping your image files down to a reasonable size.  A few hundred kilobytes at most is plenty big enough and I noticed many of yours are less than a hundred.  (And still show plenty of detail.)  I've had to quit visiting some glogs because of the multiple Megabyte images on a page.  I've got DSL, but I rarely get the D/L speed I pay for.

Thanks!

Glad you noticed. I was writing webpages when dialup was all there was. The speed the page loaded was critical, so we always resized. The cameras are set to shoot 4mb pics for definition. If the data isn't present you can't do much with it. So they resize nicely. I have a 2mb wireless connection, bandwidth is usually OK. I feel the free pic sites are slow, because I just go and surf while they load and that's fast. So I know a few here who I won't mention just upload the huge files; the THP site fits them to the screen, but you know the rest. ;) My Dad always send me 10mb pics in email, he's 79 come 6-4, and clueless about file size. He's asked me, but doesn't understand my answer. Oh well.

Back