• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

Runescape said:
Damn, awesome pods, dude... are you makin some more salsa?
 Thanks,

I will later, right now I'm freezing and drying some. We did can 2lbs of Jals yesterday.

OCD Chilehead said:
Very nice harvest. Glad you have some help. I hope the weather stay favorable for you. Keep up the good work. Note to self. Plant a patch of Annuum's and Baccatum's. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Thanks Chuck,

LB is a great help, I feel bad because I'm leaning on her more than I would like to. It's getting hotter here but they're still hanging.

Jeff H said:
Awesome harvest pics Scott.

Question: 2nd pic, lower left. Yellow 7?

They look just like mine last year. I was surprised how mild they were compared to the Y7 brain strains I had growing. Still very hot, but not scalding like the BS. Good flavor too. My favorite pepper for fish so far.

Thanks Jeff,

Far left are Bonda's from pods Annie sent, to the right are Yellow Cardi's. First pic, top right are Yellow Brains.

Spicegeist said:
alright!  ripe pods! :dance:

Woot!

A few more plants have color but still have some green, and many more are loaded up. So it's a good spring grow for me down here so far. ;)

cone9 said:
You best let her pick all the time.  Her pulls are much larger than yours have been! 

A lot of nice looking pods there!

Thanks Dave,

She's been a huge help since my knee cranked up!

stickman said:
Saweet lookin' harvest Scott! Got any plans for them this week?

Thanks Rick,

Well I figured SFRB's for those who come here to start off. Starting with the Northern locales first. I wouldn't have near the variety if it wasn't for THP member generosity ;) 

We did pickle 2lbs of Jals yesterday and are freezing some, the thing is I have 4 gals in the freezer from last year :rolleyes:

JJJessee said:
Everything is looking fantastic,Scott!
If your rain holds up you'll have to use the tractor bucket to haul 'em to the house.

The white bhuts appear to have a good color going. Mine are a ways out on color but I'm noticing wider variation in pod type than yours
I'd like to see the seed line develop the classic bhut pod. I guess the breeders are working on it.
Pretty pull!

That Jigsaw makes a big plant. One of my two is almost head and shoulders above the rest of the chinense.

Keep the peppers hot and the beer cold.

Thanks JJJ,

I'm hoping the W Bhut's take on a longer more Bhut like shape down the road. I feel they will, all of these are the first pods from most of the plants. I've cut off quite a few of the smaller first pods and chunked them, you know the nickle sized ones ;)

Yes sir, the Jigsaws are robust growers and the pods are full sized nice looking pods right off the bat. They should load up for you!

Amazing pull Scott! You got some smokin, freezing, and drying to do! Those pics got me itchin to make some sauce. Love it .

Are your white bhuts looking more yellow/cream? Mine are. Taste is good and heat is low for a super.

Your funky reaper is a mean little pod man. I ate one today and it made my ears pop. Looks almost exactly like the one you pictured. Keep the pulls comin bud!

How's you season work down there?  Do your plants stop producing when it gets really hot and then push out another crop when cooler fall weather arrives?

MeatHead1313 said:
Awesome haul Scott! Makes my daily picks look like nothing! Lol. 

Thanks Chris,

It's way more than we can ever eat, I just love to grow and share them. I have quite a few plants this season like 100+. You noticed a few types were just 1 or 2 pods ;)

maximumcapsicum said:
Amazing pull Scott! You got some smokin, freezing, and drying to do! Those pics got me itchin to make some sauce. Love it .

Are your white bhuts looking more yellow/cream? Mine are. Taste is good and heat is low for a super.

Your funky reaper is a mean little pod man. I ate one today and it made my ears pop. Looks almost exactly like the one you pictured. Keep the pulls comin bud!

Thanks Adam,

That tiny little pod sure packs a punch! The really cool thing is they taste really good, and that taste will shine in a sauce.

The white bhuts are really white as far as I'm concerned, but look like a Hab Bhut cross. It may be that it's just the early pods and how they are taking shape. Regardless, it's a great pod worthy of a sauce. Nice sweet flavor and heat below the regular Bhuts.

Blister said:
Good googlie mooglie! You've already harvested?! Man you are ahead of the game! I'm a month or so away at best. You've got some nice corking on the jalapeños and the garden is looking great Scott.

Neil

Thanks Neil,

We're definitely on an earlier schedule here. The Tomatoes are showing signs of being done, we typically pull the plants the first week of July. The peppers will go longer.

cone9 said:
How's you season work down there?  Do your plants stop producing when it gets really hot and then push out another crop when cooler fall weather arrives?

Hi Dave,

The only plants that flowered and produced all season were all the Hab's and the Funky Reapers. I feel the supers for the most part are about done setting until it cools down. If I keep them up and running until the fall they should really load up nicely. They did last year, I was picking fresh peppers into early December. The down side of this is that the garden doesn't get the rest I want it to have. And I don't get the downtime either.

So at the moment I'm going to see what they do. ;)

Thanks Mike,

We sampled the larger one yesterday from John's seed, you should like it. The little one is hotter, but hotter doesn't make better.

It's been pouring here for the last 30 minutes or so, a cell cranked up right over our place and has camped out. I haven't seen rain like this in so long I can't put a date on it.

I was going to test out the wobblers and the timer this afternoon. No need now!

Devv said:
It's been pouring here for the last 30 minutes or so, a cell cranked up right over our place and has camped out. I haven't seen rain like this in so long I can't put a date on it.

I was going to test out the wobblers and the timer this afternoon. No need now!

Very cool Scott... did you see any cowpies float away? :party:

Just wanted to say... I got your SFRB today... Thanks Brother! You've got some monsker pods in there... and some of 'em look like they're gonna hurt... :P
SANY1633_zps41e36a18.jpg

SANY1634_zpse127dd5d.jpg

SANY1632_zpsdb633fb5.jpg

I bit the stem off of one of the Aji Lemons, wrapped it in a slice of white American cheese and ate it on the spot! Cheers!

I was up in Kenedy today they got around 5 inches earlier this morning and on the way home I drove through a pretty heavy storm is tynan/skidmore. Haven't got too much here in cc but they are calling for more showers tonight and tomorrow morning.

stickman said:

Very cool Scott... did you see any cowpies float away? :party:

Just wanted to say... I got your SFRB today... Thanks Brother! You've got some monsker pods in there... and some of 'em look like they're gonna hurt... :P
SANY1633_zps41e36a18.jpg

SANY1634_zpse127dd5d.jpg

SANY1632_zpsdb633fb5.jpg

I bit the stem off of one of the Aji Lemons, wrapped it in a slice of white American cheese and ate it on the spot! Cheers!
What a great idea for the Aji!  I'm an extra sharp cheddar man.  How bad could it be?

Hey Devv, what are those 2 long red suckers in the middle?

Do you have any pepper sauce recipes you'd care to post? I can't eat these things the way some of you do, so, I opt for making sauces, and pickling. Thanks.

Devv said:
John (Sawyer) and I shared "Funky Reaper" seeds. Here's the comparison.

1038.jpg

Mines the one on the right...
Hi Scott,

Thanks for posting some harvest pictures, they mean a lot for us...there is hope! :-)))))
I do not have any pods yet, despite of I was starting my season 1.5 months earlier.
Rick have sent me some seeds from your Funky Reaper, so I am growing 4 or 5 of them, one plant in my own, midget garden.
I can tell you that is one of the biggest and healthiest plant in the ground. Can't wait to see pods forming on it!
Thanks for spreading the pepper love, my friend!

Balázs

Big difference in size between the two Funkies, Scott.  That's something that never really came through in all the pictures last year.  You said up above that the smaller one is hotter, but didn't you also say something a few pages back about a difference in the flavors?  It's interesting that visually they are so similar except for size.  I guess I'll I stop calling mine Funky, since they're clearly not the same as yours.

Back