• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's Dirt Grow-Almost done..

Weekend March 2-3:
I’ve been working on the garden for years; it was dormant for a few years (like 10) while I changed careers. The base soil if you want to call it that is sand. I added heavy black dirt to the upper 2/3 years ago; I’ve since added heavy red dirt (clay ) to half of the lower 1/3. For two years straight I’ve added 4”s of compost to the upper 2/3 and this year 4”s to the bottom 1/3. I clean horse pens for the free manure; kitchen waste is added to the compost. Our property is on a slope and heavy rains cause erosion problems. Above the garden the land is heavily terraced to divert water runoff.
Finished concreting the base of the fence, used 22 80lb bags, the Waskily Wabbits should be done, until they find another way in. They have been a real menace! I tried a hot wire system, it was not too effective and killed birds and squirrels; I didn’t like that.

5.jpg

Planted the Onions January 15th, Garlic was planted September 15th. They took a beating with the 30mph winds, 55 mph gusts last Monday.

6.jpg

Tilled and my wife planted corn, cukes, watermelons, bush beans and cantelope.

17.jpg

Bush Beans above

11.jpg

Cukes, and Melons behind the Rosemary above.

Corn below.

14.jpg

I started these the first week of January; I think I got carried away.

1.jpg

The Potatoes, planted February 15th are coming up. I planted then 8”s deep and I keep covering them up, and will do so until the ground is level where planted.

7.jpg

Never ending mulch pile.

9.jpg

Hmmm.. too many images...

Stefan_W said:
You've inspired me to re-add poblanos to my grow list for next season. I can just taste them now!
Hahaha, They are good!

Went and got another load of mulch this morning while the sun was still low in the sky, this stuff is partly broken down already, looks like good stuff...now I have to unload it :confused:

Watered the garden and did some picking...

Here's a group shot, they still look good but production is down...
686.jpg

The Funky Reaper has loaded up again, and big time! Wish the Moruga's, Primo's, Bhut's,and other Reaper's would look at this plant and realize what slackers they are!
685.jpg

Had to stake this gal, it's in a tomato cage but is so loaded it fell over...
684.jpg

Had to add another row of support for the Pob's same thing...loaded! Pics not the best as they're all intertwined. One thing I thinks happening with the sunshade is that the plants, mainly the Pob's are real leggy.
689.jpg

The true Reaper's have a few pods, kinda embarrassed about their performance..
682.jpg

683.jpg

687.jpg

I love it that we have so many bees!

681.jpg

Ok Pia, I was inspired by JJJ's warning, so here's mine....I love what this guy has in his mouth...a stankin grasshopper :party:

680.jpg

So I ground up some dried peps this afternoon, lightly Mesquite smoked Habs, Hab's and Funky Reapers. After two grinder batches I dug out my Darth Vader looking mask, was tearing me up! Didn't finish all the dried peps, had to jump in the shower and get the burn off! LOL
688.jpg

Thanks for everything and have a great weekend!

HabaneroHead said:
B-e-a-utiful pics, Scott ! :P  That shade is really useful for your plants. Was there any rain there in the last weeks?
Balázs
Thanks Balázs!

The sunshade really makes the difference here. It's been at or around 100 for the last month. No rain (except a slight sprinkle since early June. I'm lucky I have a deep well in a really good aquifer. I use it sparingly, as water is precious! Soon, in 30 days or so we should get a cooling trend, rain is forecast next week..we shall see!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Awesome spread Scott! Powders look amazing
Thanks Chris!

Now you see what I was talking about, can't hardly walk through that jungle. The root shade had to be helping though...

Dang, that patch is just incredible. I'd sell my left nut to have something like that LOL. Oh well soon, maybe soon I'll have a house and pepperize the backyard... for me it's indoors for now.

I'm currently planning on next year's list. I've tasted a few and some I like and some I don't. Fatalii is my fave.

Soon you'll get a haul and you probably won't know what to do with it LOL. Let's hope so.

, Walter

Hi Scott,
   Maybe the chiles do get a little leggy under the shade netting, but if you stake 'em well and production's good, I'd call that a no-brainer. Cheers!

stc3248 said:
Scott...I hear ya on the powder burn. No escaping it. Can't get over how happy everything looks! Your jungle shot is really cool. 
Thanks Shane,
I should be in for a good fall, anytime I've kept peppers going through the summer they have done their best during the cool down.

Funny how that powder gets ya, the last bag I was processing was hurried because I was squirming, and I did it outside too.

GA Growhead said:
+1 serious jungle over there.

Thanks Jay,
Gotta be careful in there so as not to damage the plants. I'm still trying to decide on spacing next year. One good thing is the shading of the roots through the hot months.

Vegas_Chili said:
Dang, that patch is just incredible. I'd sell my left nut to have something like that LOL. Oh well soon, maybe soon I'll have a house and pepperize the backyard... for me it's indoors for now.

I'm currently planning on next year's list. I've tasted a few and some I like and some I don't. Fatalii is my fave.

Soon you'll get a haul and you probably won't know what to do with it LOL. Let's hope so.

, Walter
Hi Walter!

Thanks for the good vibes!

Oh I've been getting good pulls, just not with the supers. I'm hoping it's the heat and not how I treat them.

I've been saving seed and buying here and there, I'm definitely trying the Fatali next year!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
BBQ ribs. Shocktops. Reading glogs....
Awesome work and kick arse on that funky reaper. Hope they all set
 Thanks Denniz!

stickman said:
Hi Scott,
   Maybe the chiles do get a little leggy under the shade netting, but if you stake 'em well and production's good, I'd call that a no-brainer. Cheers!
Hi Rick!

Yes, there must be some trade off. I let two rows of Annuum's go this summer because they were in full sun. They were 1/3 of the height and not doing much, save the Cayenne's, they went nuts!
Definitely sticking with the sunshade!

stickman said:
Hi Scott,
I have found that my square foot garden of supers are tall and lanky for sure. They get a lot more shade than other plants and a few are slow to produce, others are going ape ish! I decided to stake them and start pruning the areas providing shade. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I have found that my square foot garden of supers are tall and lanky for sure. They get a lot more shade than other plants and a few are slow to produce, others are going ape ish! I decided to stake them and start pruning the areas providing shade. 
I would think in your neck of the woods they can handle all the sun Mother Nature gives them. Do you get any sun scald on the peppers? I sure do without the shade.

mlh5953 said:
Plants look great!
I've got to try some shade cloth next season. 
Thanks!

It's really has worked well for me this year. I bought an inexpensive piece and am wondering just how many years it will last before the UV eats it up.

Devv said:
I would think in your neck of the woods they can handle all the sun Mother Nature gives them. Do you get any sun scald on the peppers? I sure do without the shade.

Thanks!

It's really has worked well for me this year. I bought an inexpensive piece and am wondering just how many years it will last before the UV eats it up.
Well my backyard is south facing so most of the plants get 12+ hours of pure sun. I do get sun scald on some pods, especially lemon drops so this year I gave them more shade and they are doing much better!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Well my backyard is south facing so most of the plants get 12+ hours of pure sun. I do get sun scald on some pods, especially lemon drops so this year I gave them more shade and they are doing much better!
Mine was so bad in years past that none were being harvested from June until early September, they just lightened up and dried out.

Dang, Scott . . . catching up!! Wow: the woodworking. You know where I'm from. If it's got a nail in it, it doesn't fly as "furniture." It's framing! lol. Dovetails all the way--both my grandfathers were hand/master-carvers, since the furniture business (and moonshine) were only games in town. LOVE IT! Pretty funny but sweet in a way--they're teaching woodworking at ACC now in Austin and 3/4ths my old musician buddies are taking classes; half of the production looks like they raided Big Lots x IKEA (using expensive wood), nails, screws, instead of particle board . . . hmm. More for them!

Love the bhut-share at work, and reviews of Ramon's peppers. The JA hab plants from his seed are big children and yes: JA Hab tastes deeper, sweeter, hot, but not as tart or mouth puckering as Caribe Reds.

Anyhow, love the poblanos. Been pulling mine as they turn 1/2 and ripening with apples in brown paper bags. Or yeah, birds . .. . if surround them with like TSMB's . . . who knows, birds can eat anything hot. Freezing whole for now until get a bunch to work with. Love the shade cloth and that spider eating grasshopper! Hello, Pia!

Love the mulch and liner-pot. You'll figure out a way without hurting your back; that "powdered" cheesy omelet =nice (almost went migas!)  And for love of gawd do not eat a whole Reaper like Shane did! A little Maalox and a little pepper builds tolerance just fine, which with or without the stomach lining stuff, seems like your doing and love the powders! How long did you smoke on mesquite? Beautiful stuff and enjoying catching up! Take a deep breath as you gonna get slammed when it cools off. :dance:

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Yeah when I lived in Austin for 5 years my plants didn't do too well. 
I first started gardening in the early 80's while we lived in Magnolia Tx. I never had to water, it rained there. It wasn't in shade but the sun was blocked perfectly by tall trees so we never had the sun scald.

I'm about 1.5 hours south of Austin, it get hotter there then here on most days.

annie57 said:
Dang, Scott . . . catching up!! Wow: the woodworking. You know where I'm from. If it's got a nail in it, it doesn't fly as "furniture." It's framing! lol. Dovetails all the way--both my grandfathers were hand/master-carvers, since the furniture business (and moonshine) were only games in town. LOVE IT! Pretty funny but sweet in a way--they're teaching woodworking at ACC now in Austin and 3/4ths my old musician buddies are taking classes; half of the production looks like they raided Big Lots x IKEA (using expensive wood), nails, screws, instead of particle board . . . hmm. More for them!

Hi Annie!
I would love to see the old woodworking ways make a comeback, thing is most won't pay for the quality. I know I couldn't afford the "good stuff" without a second mortgage! I learned by reading woodworking mags, LB subscribed me to 4 or 5,and I took it from there..

Love the bhut-share at work, and reviews of Ramon's peppers. The JA hab plants from his seed are big children and yes: JA Hab tastes deeper, sweeter, hot, but not as tart or mouth puckering as Carbe Reds.

The pepper share was fun, I found two die hard chili heads who love the supers. I have a few JA's growing, started them late but one is getting a few pods. You're right they do taste better than the other habs, I would say the choc hab is up there too!

Anyhow, love the poblanos. Been pulling mine as they turn 1/2 and ripening with apples in brown paper bags. Or yeah, birds . .. . if surround them with like TSMB's . . . who knows, birds can eat anything hot. Freezing whole for now until get a bunch to work with. Love the shade cloth and that spider eating grasshopper! Hello, Pia!

The pob's are a must grow pepper, they go with so many dishes. I just loaded Mom a box full, and sent her some milder powders to try. Couldn't pass the spider up, I had to run and get the camera, glad he's on my side!

Love the mulch and liner-pot. You'll figure out a way without hurting your back; that "powdered" cheesy omelet =nice (almost went migas!)  And for love of gawd do not eat a whole Reaper like Shane did! A little Maalox and a little pepper builds tolerance just fine, which with or without the stomach lining stuff, seems like your doing and love the powders! How long did you smoke on mesquite? Beautiful stuff and enjoying catching up! Take a deep breath as you gonna get slammed when it cools off. :dance:
That mulch has been available forever, I just needed to make the time, it seems as I get older time is a more valuable commodity. The cool thing is the mulch is seasoned, I think I can get one more load with whats left. I guess I'm the only one stupid enough to go get it in August! The pond liner bags are really cheap, that and the fact that they act as air pots should really help. 20 gals size doesn't hurt either! 

Don't worry the whole pod thang aint happening at my house! I promised to taste everything I grew, but not whole pods!

I smoked them for about 30 minutes in the electric smoker, Mesquite can be strong so I held back. And then I mixed the smoked pods with un-smoked. I just want a hint of the smoky taste.

Can't wait for weather to cool! Hope those other plants step to the plate!

Thanks for the kudos!

WalkGood said:
Super job on dem powders brethren and the pics are great as usual. Love da spider one, I’m sure you took it just for Pia, lols
Thanks Ramon!

Nah didn't take it for Pia, just though it was cool that it was eating that grasshopper (and glad). I've been getting good at catching them before they bolt, and am seeing less. I guess the birds and the lizards have been working on them.

Oh, those powders, everytime I make them I have to just in the shower to wash it off of me.

Speaking of powder, had some JA powder on my breakfast taco this AM. Was good stuff!

Back