• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's Dirt Grow-Almost done..

Weekend March 2-3:
I’ve been working on the garden for years; it was dormant for a few years (like 10) while I changed careers. The base soil if you want to call it that is sand. I added heavy black dirt to the upper 2/3 years ago; I’ve since added heavy red dirt (clay ) to half of the lower 1/3. For two years straight I’ve added 4”s of compost to the upper 2/3 and this year 4”s to the bottom 1/3. I clean horse pens for the free manure; kitchen waste is added to the compost. Our property is on a slope and heavy rains cause erosion problems. Above the garden the land is heavily terraced to divert water runoff.
Finished concreting the base of the fence, used 22 80lb bags, the Waskily Wabbits should be done, until they find another way in. They have been a real menace! I tried a hot wire system, it was not too effective and killed birds and squirrels; I didn’t like that.

5.jpg

Planted the Onions January 15th, Garlic was planted September 15th. They took a beating with the 30mph winds, 55 mph gusts last Monday.

6.jpg

Tilled and my wife planted corn, cukes, watermelons, bush beans and cantelope.

17.jpg

Bush Beans above

11.jpg

Cukes, and Melons behind the Rosemary above.

Corn below.

14.jpg

I started these the first week of January; I think I got carried away.

1.jpg

The Potatoes, planted February 15th are coming up. I planted then 8”s deep and I keep covering them up, and will do so until the ground is level where planted.

7.jpg

Never ending mulch pile.

9.jpg

Hmmm.. too many images...

meatfreak said:
Happy "late" Birthday, Scott!  :woohoo: Plants look great and very healthy :)
Thanks Stefan!

I see the first signs of some ripe pods coming on.

WalkGood said:
I hope you took some lime & technique pics, infusion FTW :)
annie57 said:
+1 to the Ramon, Scotty!

Uh oh, I guess I'm in spank me mode, I just ground them up and added them to a small batch of kitchen sink powder I had in the dehydrator. I can say this, you don't want a wiff of the Lime powder going up your nose any more than with the supers :D

We used the rind too, the wife said citrus rinds are in many recipes. So we gave it a whirl. Haven't tried it on food yet, but will this weekend. I need to come up with a reusable recipe.

WalkGood said:
I'll have to give that one a try Scott, must not be too much meat left after dehydration, how many limes did you do?
We used two Limes, and added the dried peppers to the grinder with the lime. It made 6-8 teaspoons and filled two of the small ziplock bags we use to send powder. Gonna make some blackened cat fish this evening and see how the ratio plays out.

I'll be watching for the blackened cat report!  Last year I dried some Aji Lima Rojo with cherry wood and I thought it was awesome.  I might try your lime if I get some more.  The plant is really loaded with buds, blooms and small pods.  I'm not sure if 6 weeks is enough time so I may be ripeining indoors.

Have a great weekend Scott!  Looks kind of wet here.

Blackened Catfish sounds great Scott! If you're interested, I'll pm you my recipe for Cajun Blackening spice. The lime powder sounds interesting, and I'm sure we'll all want a report...

Devv said:
We used two Limes, and added the dried peppers to the grinder with the lime. It made 6-8 teaspoons and filled two of the small ziplock bags we use to send powder. Gonna make some blackened cat fish this evening and see how the ratio plays out.
Very cool mon Woot! don't forget da pictures ... limey powder FTW, CatFish, extras and a nice written report how it all tastes ;)

capsidadburn said:
I'll be watching for the blackened cat report!  Last year I dried some Aji Lima Rojo with cherry wood and I thought it was awesome.  I might try your lime if I get some more.  The plant is really loaded with buds, blooms and small pods.  I'm not sure if 6 weeks is enough time so I may be ripeining indoors.

Have a great weekend Scott!  Looks kind of wet here.
Thanks Mike!

We have a rain forecast until Wednesday. Worked my tail off spreading compost and mulch, tilling it in and planting the cover crop in hopes of rain. Actually I'm hoping the rain comes after the morning, I still have veggies to plant.

I do have a feeling we're going to see a colder winter this year, rain is certainly better than the last 8-9 years.

stickman said:
Blackened Catfish sounds great Scott! If you're interested, I'll pm you my recipe for Cajun Blackening spice. The lime powder sounds interesting, and I'm sure we'll all want a report...
Thanks Rick! I sent you a PM request for the recipe...

WalkGood said:
Very cool mon Woot! don't forget da pictures ... limey powder FTW, CatFish, extras and a nice written report how it all tastes ;)
I'll do my best ;)

I wanted to post some pics but didn't get a chance to shoot any, was in the garden until 2:30. Thank goodness LB came out and helped me today, humidity is through the roof and was putting a hurt on me.

Devv said:
 ... ... I wanted to post some pics but didn't get a chance to shoot any, was in the garden until 2:30. Thank goodness LB came out and helped me today, humidity is through the roof and was putting a hurt on me.
Don't forget to take some pics of da lime powder and Cat, strange how weather works ... we've cooled down, bait fish has just arrived cause of a passing front. Hope to catch some mullet tomorrow and do some snook fishing :)

Yesterdays Blackened Catifsh:

Started with some homemade Mesquite charcoal
834.jpg

Split some Mesquite
835.jpg

Got the fire nice and hot, LB's piece on top
836.jpg

Just before taking inside:
837.jpg

LB put regular Cajun seasoning on hers, on mine I used  recipe Rick PM'ed me and added the Lime infused powder. I could have used more seasoning on mine, I know better next time. As for the Lime infused powder, it needs more Lime added, which is easy enough to do.

Sorry no plate shot, you know how that goes! I was hungry!

Some peppers...
Garden first.

Primos are doing real well. Plenty of pods setting.
848.jpg

839.jpg

838.jpg

Red Bhut seems happy too.
843.jpg

Pretty good sized pod here!
842.jpg

Some Reapers starting to color up.
844.jpg

Image police got me..

Bump please

Thanks Ramon!

More Reaper shots. Just tons of pods setting!
840.jpg

841.jpg

F Reaper loaded and getting close
845.jpg

LB is making stuffed peppers today, picked a few pobs...
846.jpg

Thinking of putting the peppers here next season, this has the compost and mulch added and the clover and rye just now coming up.
847.jpg

Group shot, some are just under 6' now..
849.jpg

Drive way shots.

JA Habs loading up too.
850.jpg

851.jpg

This Red is loading up too.
852.jpg

Reapers ripening.

853.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks Ramon!

A few more to close out the evening..

It's been raining almost all day...which is goooddd!

864.jpg

LB pointed this critter out..
854.jpg

First Moruga starting to color up...
855.jpg

A larger one..
856.jpg

Some nons for the wifey...
857.jpg

Groups shot of the driveway.
858.jpg

LB made stuffed peppers.
859.jpg

860.jpg

Part of today's haul..
861.jpg

LB made a new dish, white bean chicken chilli, and she put habs in it to kick it up a notch.
862.jpg

It tasted great and had a nice level of picante.

That's it for tonight!

Have a great week!

Great pod shots Scott.

I must admit to being bit of a fish snob, so catfish is not something I'd normally consider eating in my part of the world, but dayyyum you did that thing right! Looks amazing mate, I'd totally hook into it! 

Geezwizz Scotty, dang!! Blacked cat, white bean chix with hab, stuffed pobs! Y'all go! Over the bug because I can look at and talk about food now!

Thanks for idea on the lime dehydrate because as ya know, cilantro loses flavor when heated. Powder is no go too. BUT had sale on limes at store Friday so bought bunch, whacked and pulverized some cilantro w/mortar/pestle, topped sliced limes with cilantro, sea salt, cut 1/2 inch, dried on very low and infused the lime powder with cilantro--the zest almost tastes as good as fresh as salt took out most of bitterness. That on top of Dryeling 40 wool winter sweaters (D-Cleaner's went up 15 bucks and not) to getting m-term grades into registrar by 5 am Sat morning--got sick--my mother afraid for my determination with brain weight loss--came over to help me process Peach Bhut ferment yesterday. Back to fermentation "later."

Great looking garden shots! NICE prep! Dude, what in Hades ya gonna do with that much Reaper? It's "later." Wait . . . you could ferment some for sauce!! You said so in Bill's glog. (See? Took me no time to get back to ferment topic :rofl: )

Also glad you got some rain!! :dance: Reap a great week, sweetie!

Back