• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's Dirt Grow-Almost done..

Weekend March 2-3:
I’ve been working on the garden for years; it was dormant for a few years (like 10) while I changed careers. The base soil if you want to call it that is sand. I added heavy black dirt to the upper 2/3 years ago; I’ve since added heavy red dirt (clay ) to half of the lower 1/3. For two years straight I’ve added 4”s of compost to the upper 2/3 and this year 4”s to the bottom 1/3. I clean horse pens for the free manure; kitchen waste is added to the compost. Our property is on a slope and heavy rains cause erosion problems. Above the garden the land is heavily terraced to divert water runoff.
Finished concreting the base of the fence, used 22 80lb bags, the Waskily Wabbits should be done, until they find another way in. They have been a real menace! I tried a hot wire system, it was not too effective and killed birds and squirrels; I didn’t like that.

5.jpg

Planted the Onions January 15th, Garlic was planted September 15th. They took a beating with the 30mph winds, 55 mph gusts last Monday.

6.jpg

Tilled and my wife planted corn, cukes, watermelons, bush beans and cantelope.

17.jpg

Bush Beans above

11.jpg

Cukes, and Melons behind the Rosemary above.

Corn below.

14.jpg

I started these the first week of January; I think I got carried away.

1.jpg

The Potatoes, planted February 15th are coming up. I planted then 8”s deep and I keep covering them up, and will do so until the ground is level where planted.

7.jpg

Never ending mulch pile.

9.jpg

Hmmm.. too many images...

stickman said:
... maybe you could sell some to help defray your expenses this year. ...
I've seen various prices all over the net, is there some standard cost per ounce or something like that?

I'm sure the people who buy peppers in bulk have a more stable pricing system, but small-time growers are all over the map. I've seen prices as low as $6 a pound for Jalapenos and Habaneros imported from Mexico, and as high as $40 a pound  elsewhere. Chris at JoynersHotPeppers has been selling his powders for at least a couple of years... you might check him out.

WalkGood said:
Scott powders look awesome and love your lime infusion idea, let me know how it turns out. I've been doing something similar but not with lime. I've used mango, apple and have been dying to try strawberry, soon try I guess. Naturally I've done onion and garlic powder mixed into the pepper powders too but not with the fruit powder ...

Hab a great week brethren ^_^
Thanks Ramon!

I figured it would make a nice rub, and seasoning of course. But I must admit as we checked the lime tree it was LB who came up with the idea ;)

So how did your experiments turn out?

Bodeen said:
Like the lime idea.
LOL on your sig!

stickman said:
Man Scott, your patch is still rockin' on! It looks like the peppers are getting their second wind, and the pods don't look any smaller. You're gonna be set for powder for sure... maybe you could sell some to help defray your expenses this year. I like the experiment with drying the lime slices to see how they work with the powders... keep up the good work and let us know how the lime-infused powder works out. Cheers!
Thanks Rick!

Now that temps are in the low to mid 70's at night and 85 to 92 during the days, with a shorter high temp boost they have started to set pods in earnest. I do like the idea of making some change back!
I have a few radishes, lettuce, broccoli, and carrots sown, and need to plant more. I have the seed garlic and am already a week or so behind schedule getting it in the ground.

WalkGood said:
I've seen various prices all over the net, is there some standard cost per ounce or something like that?
I haven't checked, but my brother inlaw emailed me for powder after I brought some to Ohio this summer, he said it wasn't cheap.

stickman said:
I'm sure the people who buy peppers in bulk have a more stable pricing system, but small-time growers are all over the map. I've seen prices as low as $6 a pound for Jalapenos and Habaneros imported from Mexico, and as high as $40 a pound  elsewhere. Chris at JoynersHotPeppers has been selling his powders for at least a couple of years... you might check him out.
I'm going to look into it for next year, this year I've been sharing them. Unless I just have a really huge harvest this fall. My first year growing supers, hoping to really get things dialed in for next season. This could also be some extra $$ after I retire. I'm hoping I'm eligible in 5 years. If the rains ever get back to normal here growing would be much easier!

Justaguy said:
Looking good there. Nice to see a season exploding as mine is soon to die. During the winter I get time to catch up and watch y'all Texans. :D
Thanks Brian!

First year growing suppers and missed the boat with a late plant out. Really glad to see they're ready to produce. Next years grow starts in 30 days, so no rest here!

BTW the peppers were great! Thanks again!

wahlee76 said:
Lime infused powder, great idea! Should work with dried peppers in general. Let us know how you like it
Thanks!

I sure will.

Been in the wood shop, taking advantage of the somewhat cooler weather and rain we had. I'm building a grow station, and anal me is making it too furniture looking, doing it with materials I have.

The garden is weedy as all git out, why don't the crops grow as fast? So I tilled some of it at a 2" depth, I did prepare part of the garlic bed and hope to plant it this weekend.

Mañana= Friday!

That water grass is a pain in the butt for sure.  I am seriously considering drip irrigation with some alfalfa mulch to help keep it down.  I like going through the rows checking on peppers as I weed, but the plants are too big for that and the grass is going crazy in the front garden.  I handled it well in the back garden except for the tomato rows.

Devv said:
… So how did your experiments turn out? …

Mango and nana are my favorites so far, but when you want things picante as you know the pepper can mask other flavors, so measurements are key. I’m currently soaking some fruits and vegetables so that they don’t loose their great color during the dehydrating phase.

So how did the lime infuse powder come out, should I throw some on my dehydrator this weekend?

Happy Natal Day Brethren \o/

wrkvx0.jpg

Bodeen said:
That water grass is a pain in the butt for sure.  I am seriously considering drip irrigation with some alfalfa mulch to help keep it down.  I like going through the rows checking on peppers as I weed, but the plants are too big for that and the grass is going crazy in the front garden.  I handled it well in the back garden except for the tomato rows.
I hate any weeds, we had 4"s of rain this month and they just exploded. I do my best to kill them before they seed. Getting ready to plant a cover crop this weekend that should help.

Justaguy said:
Happy Birthday!!!

capsidadburn said:
+1 on the birthday Scott!  Have a good one.

WalkGood said:

Mango and nana are my favorites so far, but when you want things picante as you know the pepper can mask other flavors, so measurements are key. I’m currently soaking some fruits and vegetables so that they don’t loose their great color during the dehydrating phase.

So how did the lime infuse powder come out, should I throw some on my dehydrator this weekend?

Happy Natal Day Brethren \o/

wrkvx0.jpg
Thank for the Birthday wishes! LB has the day planned we're headed to SA in 30 minutes to catch a show and early dinner.

I'll let you know tomorrow on the Lime powder, I haven't ground it yet...too many irons in the fire...I need a clone!

Have  great weekend!

GA Growhead said:
Thanks Jay!

Tomorrow I'll be closer to 60 than 50, I guess today I'm smack in the middle :D

Someone PMed me and told me to put down the shovel today....I did for the most part after hauling 170 gallons of compost to spread and till. I want to spread all the compost and mulch before planting the winter cover crops.

Took some pics this morning too:

Group shot, lots of flowers and pods in there!
816.jpg

Funky Reaper, so loaded this time the branches are sagging.
817.jpg

818.jpg

Primo, these look just like the Reapers, time will tell....
813.jpg

814.jpg

Here's a Reaper, not much difference in appearance is there?
820.jpg

Red Bhut loaded:
812.jpg

815.jpg

Bag lady Moruga is huge!
825.jpg

Pacman Moruga pod....
826.jpg

When somebody gets a round "tuit" I need a bump please:)

Thanks Bro! 

Bag ladies on the driveway...

JA Hab, a nice vigorous growing plant with lots of flowers and pods setting!
828.jpg

Nice large pods from this gal, this one has dark colored pods, two of the 4 have light colored pods....
829.jpg

830.jpg

Primo, not as productive (yet) as the dirt plant.

823.jpg

824.jpg

Another Moruga pod...
827.jpg

Always a strong producer, Red Caribbean...
822.jpg

Have a safe and great weekend!

Great looking plantation you have going Scott!  Love the "Bag Ladies".  Those Primo and Reaper pods look killer too.

I'm glad someone pm'ed you to put down the shovel!

Hope you've had a great birthday.

Mike

Back