• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's Dirt Grow-Almost done..

Weekend March 2-3:
I’ve been working on the garden for years; it was dormant for a few years (like 10) while I changed careers. The base soil if you want to call it that is sand. I added heavy black dirt to the upper 2/3 years ago; I’ve since added heavy red dirt (clay ) to half of the lower 1/3. For two years straight I’ve added 4”s of compost to the upper 2/3 and this year 4”s to the bottom 1/3. I clean horse pens for the free manure; kitchen waste is added to the compost. Our property is on a slope and heavy rains cause erosion problems. Above the garden the land is heavily terraced to divert water runoff.
Finished concreting the base of the fence, used 22 80lb bags, the Waskily Wabbits should be done, until they find another way in. They have been a real menace! I tried a hot wire system, it was not too effective and killed birds and squirrels; I didn’t like that.

5.jpg

Planted the Onions January 15th, Garlic was planted September 15th. They took a beating with the 30mph winds, 55 mph gusts last Monday.

6.jpg

Tilled and my wife planted corn, cukes, watermelons, bush beans and cantelope.

17.jpg

Bush Beans above

11.jpg

Cukes, and Melons behind the Rosemary above.

Corn below.

14.jpg

I started these the first week of January; I think I got carried away.

1.jpg

The Potatoes, planted February 15th are coming up. I planted then 8”s deep and I keep covering them up, and will do so until the ground is level where planted.

7.jpg

Never ending mulch pile.

9.jpg

Hmmm.. too many images...

Nothing, yet, Scott.  I was just going to strain some active-culture yogurt.  I'll have to look in the pickling section of the local grocery for Caldwell's.

That will work just fine too from what I've read. I ordered mine online, San Antonio is too far gas wise....the shipping is cheaper.

WalkGood said:
As long as you love what you grow, who cares ... for years I only grew 2 or 3 varieties and I've been more than happy with them, plus much less troubles FTW, hehehe
Ahhh but next year with all the seeds I have is the deciding year. And yes, much easier to grow a few varieties you can count on!

Incr-eatable looking harvests !
Some of your JA Habs have the typical look to them as displayed on the net for the Jamaican Scotch Bonnet.
I stumbled upon, yet another 'jerk' stop for lunch last week.."JerkyJerk".
Not bad at all. After talking to the owner we both agree that the Jamaican Scotch Bonnets are not necessarily yellow. I showed him a snap from here. One of Ramon's JA Habs, he said those are the "Bon's".......after talking to him a bit longer, my lunch was for free. Not what I was anticipating...but well appreciated.

I like the fact you're getting into the ferments and other processing...very rewarding to bring the outdoor into the kitchen. I'm sweating looking at all those superhots...lol
I hope the weather supports the rest of your grow...enjoy !

Bodeen said:
Great season.  And I agree grow what you like.  If you have to try a bunch of different ones to try out then do that too.  I know I have grown a lot of peppers that I will never grow again, but finding a few keepers makes that all worth it.
Thanks Jeff!

I think the plants are winding down, some yellow leaves and some falling off...it IS November..

I agree 100% with the try and see method.

Sawyer said:

That stuff is kind of expensive on Amazon.  If I can't find a smaller amount, I probably will go with the yogurt. 
I thought so too, but it will do 12 qts., I figured try it once, learn and go from there.

PIC 1 said:
Incr-eatable looking harvests !
Some of your JA Habs have the typical look to them as displayed on the net for the Jamaican Scotch Bonnet.
I stumbled upon, yet another 'jerk' stop for lunch last week.."JerkyJerk".
Not bad at all. After talking to the owner we both agree that the Jamaican Scotch Bonnets are not necessarily yellow. I showed him a snap from here. One of Ramon's JA Habs, he said those are the "Bon's".......after talking to him a bit longer, my lunch was for free. Not what I was anticipating...but well appreciated.

I like the fact you're getting into the ferments and other processing...very rewarding to bring the outdoor into the kitchen. I'm sweating looking at all those superhots...lol
I hope the weather supports the rest of your grow...enjoy !
Thanks Greg!

Very interesting about the JA Hab's, I know Ramon got the seeds from a local grower, so this is very possible.

Free lunch, can't beat that! You can always return the favor with some heat ;)

I hope the ferments come out OK, first try

stc3248 said:
Great pull and awesome ferment starts! That Tejas Flamethrower sound like a punisher!
Thanks Shane!

Oh that one will be hot, it gives me an alternative from powders. It should work out close to a puree that I can later can.

But...I will bring some to work to let the adventurous try on a taco, I think a chip dip would hurt!
and really don't know what to expect..guess I'll find out in a month or so.

Both the harvests and the ferments look great.

How would you classify the funkey Reaper taste vs. the real reaper? I like the reaper flavor, but Ed should have named it Creeper instead, that heat builds and builds.

Jeff H said:
Both the harvests and the ferments look great.

How would you classify the funkey Reaper taste vs. the real reaper? I like the reaper flavor, but Ed should have named it Creeper instead, that heat builds and builds.
Thanks Jeff!

I think the Funky Reaper has a bit more flavor, and a little less heat. Really small pods but I like them. I'm either going to OW the plant or make clones. Such a fantastic producer this year.

Durham Bull said:
Great harvest... should last for a while...
Thank you sir!

romy6 said:
 Looking tasty in Tejas my friend  :dance:
Thanks Jamie!

I hope the ferments come out as expected, that one is going to be hot!

Out in the garden hitting them with some ferts, it's supposed to rain tomorrow and they need some help. We've had a few nice showers and I feel the soil has leached the nutes some.

Saw this friendly:
919.jpg

I'm thinking a female...
920.jpg

They're always welcome in my garden.

Picked a few before the storm...
921.jpg

Reapers are coming in a little better.
922.jpg

Funky's
923.jpg

Primo's , not going to get that many more of these it seems. Still some out there but they didn't set as well as I'd hoped.
924.jpg

A few Red Bhuts,and not Moruga's.
925.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

[SIZE=medium]Wicked spider shots brethren, love how mama blends in with her colors. Glad I’m not a little bug walking near dat nest, dem little ones look hungry, lol. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Fantastic production from your Reapers this season, they’re certainly the Pez dispenser in your garden, I wouldn't be surprised if you are still pulling from them in the middle of the winter, hehe.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hab a great week brethren :)[/SIZE]

Nice sharp camera close-ups, I'll always stop to give those a view. I like the second photo babies in the foreground, mama lurking in the back.

Is it just me ? Everytime I look at a Primo or Reaper it reminds me of a hollow plastic reproduction..they never look real...but  they're sure HOT !

romy6 said:
Dem reapers don't play. Love the spider pics bro!!!
Thanks Jamie,

Those spiders are way cool, every other time I see them they have some kind of bug in their jaws.

You ain't kidding about those Reapers!

WalkGood said:
[SIZE=medium]Wicked spider shots brethren, love how mama blends in with her colors. Glad I’m not a little bug walking near dat nest, dem little ones look hungry, lol. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Fantastic production from your Reapers this season, they’re certainly the Pez dispenser in your garden, I wouldn't be surprised if you are still pulling from them in the middle of the winter, hehe.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hab a great week brethren :)[/SIZE]
Thanks Ramon,

I saw that nest Sunday when we picked but forgot to get a shot. The mama is one big spider too compared to the others I see around. I have to look that up..

The Reapers finally started kicking out the pods last month when it cooled, I'm guessing they will go until a frost.

PIC 1 said:
Nice sharp camera close-ups, I'll always stop to give those a view. I like the second photo babies in the foreground, mama lurking in the back.

Is it just me ? Everytime I look at a Primo or Reaper it reminds me of a hollow plastic reproduction..they never look real...but  they're sure HOT !
Thanks Greg,

Those pics of the peppers have a weird look, the lighting seems like a flash was used but I'm sure it didn't fire...I took several and they all came out that way...oh well..

I brought a buddy some peppers today, he made the same comment that they seem plastic...hmm..  and yes hot!

Thank you, Scott!

Not tried yet but am thinking, Primos, Reapers, some Reapers in paper towel, Red bhuts, JA Habs, and that not yellow moruga? Thank you so, so much!! (And please correct me but think red bhuts are the ones larger than primos?) And something was wrapped in paper towel?

Look so forward to these, hon!

AnnsGlog11-7ScottReaperBhutsJAHabYMoruga_zpsbe068880.jpg

Hi Scott, It looks like your pod production is finally winding down... pods are getting smaller as the days get shorter... before you know it, it'll be time to start the next round if you haven't already. The plants you grew this year were large, but with all the work you've been doing on prepping the beds it's gonna make for some freakishly huge ones next season! Are you planning on growing Reapers again, or will you try something new in the superhot category? If you decide to change up, I hope you grow at least one Butch T. It's a tasty pepper but hot enough for anybody!

Hey, Scott, your grow looks great - nice bunch of nubbly pods! 
If I remember right, you are a week or two from your median frost date?

annie57 said:
Thank you, Scott!

Not tried yet but am thinking, Primos, Reapers, some Reapers in paper towel, Red bhuts, JA Habs, and that not yellow moruga? Thank you so, so much!! (And please correct me but think red bhuts are the ones larger than primos?) And something was wrapped in paper towel?

Look so forward to these, hon!

AnnsGlog11-7ScottReaperBhutsJAHabYMoruga_zpsbe068880.jpg
Your welcome Annie!

I hope you enjoy them.

Funky Reapers top left three rows. Primos were in the paper towel, as I can't tell them from true looking Reapers. Reapers top right. Red Bhuts are the larger ones. Then there's the not Moruga's, and JA's

Bodeen said:
Nice looking pull and an awesome shot of that spider.  Haven't seen one like that around here.
Thanks Jeff,

Yeah that's one cool looking spidey, great hunters.

stickman said:
Hi Scott, It looks like your pod production is finally winding down... pods are getting smaller as the days get shorter... before you know it, it'll be time to start the next round if you haven't already. The plants you grew this year were large, but with all the work you've been doing on prepping the beds it's gonna make for some freakishly huge ones next season! Are you planning on growing Reapers again, or will you try something new in the superhot category? If you decide to change up, I hope you grow at least one Butch T. It's a tasty pepper but hot enough for anybody!
Hi Rick,

Yes, new production has stopped, just picking as they ripen. Pulled up most of the Annum's 2 weeks ago. Fall is definitely here, some plants are dropping leaves, I think due to shorter days. Fine with me, it's been a long, long season.
For next year I'm hoping to do the pulling until the tomatoes are done, which is early July. Gives me and the soil a break. I have the most of the Chinense germing that I intend to plant. For most I'm shooting for 2 seeds to germ and then I'm sure will be gifting plants, as for most 1 plant is all I have room for. So far 33 have popped, that's about 2/5 of the planting. Annuum's get planted Dec 1st. I'm going to OW the driveway plants, all of them. Undecided about the Funky Reaper, OW or cuttings? No new Reaper seeds this next season.

PaulG said:
Hey, Scott, your grow looks great - nice bunch of nubbly pods! 
If I remember right, you are a week or two from your median frost date?
Thanks Paul,

This is as nice a time here as spring, don't have to water everyday, gardens on auto-pilot for most of the week. Average frost is on the 25th, it could come sooner or not at all. But, I see rumblings of a cold winter this year, we're overdue.
Next week it's supposed to be in the high 30's at night, this week we had mid 40's one day. I have the "bag ladies" right in front of the shop so when the cold comes I can bring them inside. The shop is insulated, has AC but no heat, but I won't need heat unless the weather gets really crazy and we haven't seen that since '89.

Back