• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

DICKT POLL GLOBAL WARMING

Is human activity melting polar ice

• Believe

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Don't Believe

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
Look way way back into the history of the planet it has been through many ice ages and hot dry periods, and it is still doing it now nothing we do will stop the cycle happening so we have to learn to cope with what will happen and not waste time money and energy trying to stop it

Aji Chombo said:
I think the UEA farce did nothing more than highlight the fantastic fact that what we consider mainstream knowledge may not be 100% true.

Weird Al said it best:

All you need to understand is
Eeeeeeeeeeverything you know is wroooooooooo-o-o-o-ong! :P

Rather almost everything, a politician says and Scientists agree with him is wroooooooooooooong.

See, I believe we as individuals do affect our environment with our interactions (moreso than, say, ants or termites, to use another creature that modifies it's environment in a similar fashion), but I also believe we claim to understand a heck of a lot more than what we actually do know.

And that leads to unnecessary complications.

Most powerful thing in this universe is " A THOUGHT"
All human action results out of a thought.
Yes, you do have a point AC.

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
It does not result in Global warming though (directly).
But resultant shift of plates may cause pressure on volcanoes and they can erupt and cause global warming.
It is a chain reaction.

Really, stars several light years away can shift tectonic plates on Earth? It's clear who's doing the pseudoscience here.

Also, I let it pass last time because your statement that plants are net emitters of carbon was even more laughably wrong, but you are dead wrong on the relative amount of CO2 emitted by volcanoes (~120 million tons annually) and by burning fossil fuels (~29 billion tons annually, and growing every year). But please, offer up more of your explanations of how the world works, they are very interesting.

Really, I think Leonard Pitts Jr. says it best (political content removed):

To listen to talk radio, to watch TV pundits, to read a newspaper's online message board, is to realize that increasingly, we are a people estranged from critical thinking, divorced from logic, alienated from even objective truth. We admit no ideas that do not confirm us, hear no voices that do not echo us, sift out all information that does not validate what we wish to believe.

I submit that any people thus handicapped sow the seeds of their own decline; they respond to the world as they wish it were rather to the world as it is. [political content removed]

But objective reality does not change because you refuse to accept it. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge a wall does not change the fact that it's a wall.

And you shouldn't have to hit it to find that out.

Stars do not do that (unless we receive severely damaging x rays or Gamma rays).
But inter planetary pulls do play a major role in shifts in earth's rotation resulting in upheavals.

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
Stars do not do that (unless we receive severely damaging x rays or Gamma rays).
But inter planetary pulls do play a major role in shifts in earth's rotation resulting in upheavals.

Fascinating. Are these "pulls" via gravitation, or some other force?

And how do the resultant volcanic eruptions contribute to global warming, if burning fossil fuels releases ~300x as much CO2 each year as all volcanic activity combined, and volcanoes also release sulfates and other aerosols which exert a cooling effect by reflecting incoming radiation?

PatchenPepperMan said:
Fascinating. Are these "pulls" via gravitation, or some other force?

And how do the resultant volcanic eruptions contribute to global warming, if burning fossil fuels releases ~300x as much CO2 each year as all volcanic activity combined, and volcanoes also release sulfates and other aerosols which exert a cooling effect by reflecting incoming radiation?
In my predictions based on planetary transits, I have been successful in predicting earthquakes . In fact starting the great Tsunami quake, till Chile I had made all the predictions.
Un fortunately I cannot pin point the country. I can just indicate general area.

Yes, interplanetary pulls have a lot of say on earth's behaviour in determining seasons to earthquakes.

Fascinating, but are these "pulls" gravity or some other force?

Where do you publish your predictions beforehand? Have you ever predicted something that didn't happen? How do you determine if an earthquake was big enough to be the one you predicted? I ask that because in my neighborhood (right by the San Andreas fault) I can predict there will be several earthquakes each month, and always be right, it's just that they're usually very small.

PatchenPepperMan said:
Fascinating, but are these "pulls" gravity or some other force?

Where do you publish your predictions beforehand? Have you ever predicted something that didn't happen? How do you determine if an earthquake was big enough to be the one you predicted? I ask that because in my neighborhood (right by the San Andreas fault) I can predict there will be several earthquakes each month, and always be right, it's just that they're usually very small.

Genrally I post my predictions on one of the most prestigious Vedic astrology groups on yahoo.

I have qoted my predictions on THP .
See the link below and read 28th February entry.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?17125-Earthquakes-and-Disasters-
predictions

So far I have been predicting events with a better success rate then seismologists.
In personal astrology, yes, a few times in last 40 years , I have failed predictions to my credit.

An astrologer can only say what may happen, but who except God can say what will definitely happen?

Once you read my predictions, you would understand.

NJA:Anyone can predict an earthquake after it happened. When and where will the next big one be?

And because you started to talk about pseudoscience I'd like you to answer one of the questions you accidentally missed: Are these "pulls" via gravitation, or some other force?

MrArboc said:
NJA:Anyone can predict an earthquake after it happened. When and where will the next big one be?

And because you started to talk about pseudoscience I'd like you to answer one of the questions you accidentally missed: Are these "pulls" via gravitation, or some other force?

gravitational forcees do play a major role in my system of prediction.
Any one can predict earthquakes because hundreds happen in all types of intensities somewhere in world.
But giving time frame as I did for predicting a major one above 6 , is not seen by me.
Even seismologists of USGS who have been waiting for a big one saying it is overdue in US California had made un successful predictions starting from 1995 onwards and it has not yet happened.

We can always argue about anything under the sun. I do not want to enter into any sort of arguements. So please you have your own views and I am comfortable with that.
Let me have mine.

"Views" are fine, but facts are facts and if you can call what professional scientists do pseudoscience, you reap what you sow.

And the fact is, the planets have far less gravitational influence on the Earth's surface than do freight trains (numbers available upon request). So you might want to revise your astrology to focus less on the planets and more on Burlington Northern.

As to your "time frame" for an earthquake above 6, in the other thread you give a 4 year window, and name many places it might happen (though not South America). Plenty of earthquakes above 6 happen all the time. In fact, let's look at earthquakes above 7:

Since Nov 2009 (the start of your warning period) through the end of Feb 2010, there were four earthquakes of magnitude 7 or greater: Solomon Islands Jan 3, Haiti Jan 12, Ryuku Islands Feb 26, and Chile Feb 27. Seems like a lot, but between Nov 2008 and the end of Feb 2009 there were FIVE earthquakes of magnitude 7 or greater: Sulawesi Nov 16, Sea of Ohkotsk Nov 24, Papua Jan 3, Kuril Islands Jan 15, and Talaud Islands Feb 15. Looks like we're behind schedule.

Edit to add:

"Even seismologists of USGS who have been waiting for a big one saying it is overdue in US California had made un successful predictions starting from 1995 onwards and it has not yet happened. "

Umm, you mean like the 7.1 Hector mine quake in 1999, the 6.5 2003 in San Simeon (actually knew some folks who lost major property in that one), the 6.0 in Parkfield 2004, or the 6.5 this January near Eureka?

texas blues said:
What's the dealio with the freight trains?

The most massive planet is Jupiter. It has a mass of 1.90*10^27 kg (that's one followed by 27 zeroes) and at its closest, it is 3.9516 AU = 591,000,000 km away from the Earth.

The closest planet (obviously the moon is closer, and can affect tides etc...but it doesn't seem to trigger earthquakees on a monthly cycle, so we just want to look at other effects on top of the tidal cycle) is Venus, which can be as close as 38,000,000 km away at its closest, with a mass of 4.87*10^24 kg.

So how much gravitational pull can these planets exert on the Earth's surface at their closest? Let's compare the force exerted by Jupiter, by Venus, and by a single freight train.

F=Gm1m2/r^2 where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of two objects, and r is the distance between them.

Let's say m1 = the mass of a particular patch of ground...since we will be comparing the pull on the patch of ground by different objects, we can just leave it as m1 and look at the ratios between the forces exerted by various objects. Same goes for G - it will enter into all the force calculations equally, so we can ignore it and just look at relative magnitudes, so long as we use consistent units for m2 and r in all calculations. Let's just call G*m1 "x".

OK, how much does Jupiter pull on a patch of ground, at its closest?

F=G*m1*m2*/r^2 = x*(1.9*10^27)/(591,000,000^2)= 5,439,746,222 * x.

And Venus:

F=G*m1*m2*/r^2 = x*(4.87*10^24)/(38,000,000^2)= 3,372,576,177 * x

Now, consider a freight train. Its center of mass is maybe 10 meters off the ground, or 0.01 km, and it weighs maybe 150,000,000 kg. For it:

F=x*(150000000)/(0.01^2) = 1,500,000,000,000 * x.

So a *single* freight train exerts about 275x as much gravitational pull on the Earth's surface as does the most massive planet at its closest, and about 444x as much pull as the closest planet. And there are a WHOLE LOT more freight trains than there are planets. Even if you argue we should look at pull on some point deep into the thickness of a tectonic plate, given the MUCH smaller distances involved not to mention the far greater number (and faster relative movements) of trains, you can't escape the conclusion that freight trains create much more (and more rapidly variable) pull on the Earth's surface than do the planets.

I'll take your word for it. I'm no engineer or mathematician. Even simple addition I have to get my toes involved. Wait.....is that a diesel/electric train or a steam powered locomotive? HAH! I got you now Mister Smartypants!!! :rofl:

texas blues said:
I'll take your word for it. I'm no engineer or mathematician. Even simple addition I have to get my toes involved. Wait.....is that a diesel/electric train or a steam powered locomotive? HAH! I got you now Mister Smartypants!!! :rofl:

Great points. I was thinking a deisel/electric freight train, but I was just kidding around. Then I looked up the Hector Mine quake to make sure I had the date right and OMG! there was a train passing by the epicenter when it struck! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Hector_Mine_earthquake It was a passenger train though, so there goes my freight train theory out the window.

Too bad. If you would have thrown up some more equations that I have no clue about, you might have not only gotten me on the hook, but in the net too! I commend your efforts sir. Hopefully you will not post your mathematical logic in the many drunken based threads in some of the forums here on THP. Wait.....it's a crazy idea....drunks + calculas + physics = you could OWN us! Crazy!

texas blues said:
Wait.....it's a crazy idea....drunks + calculas + physics = you could OWN us! Crazy!

product_image.php

And with that, my apologies to anyone's whose feelings were hurt in this thread. Like I said, "views" are fine but if you're going to throw around accusations like pseudoscience, you should have your very basic facts right.

Back