• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

DICKT POLL GLOBAL WARMING

Is human activity melting polar ice

• Believe

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Don't Believe

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
PatchenPepperMan said:
product_image.php

And with that, my apologies to anyone's whose feelings were hurt in this thread. Like I said, "views" are fine but if you're going to throw around accusations like pseudoscience, you should have your very basic facts right.
My "pseudo scientists " are those , who are trying to establish co2 emissions as sole cause of so called global warming without taking into account sun spot activity.
You cannot be oblivious to the big picture and just single out a part and try to project it as whole.

Maths can prove anything mathematically. I am neither a maths man nor a scientist.

But I know my research into earthquake predictions have withstood test of time.

Every time before major temblers, I have predicted giving a time frame.

What time frame of 4 years you are qoting from my prediction is first giving a big picture.During these dates, I usually predict at intervals of interest about near future probability of quakes taking place.
If you read carefully, I have said "AMERICAS"meaning North, Central and South Americas.

NJA

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
My "pseudo scientists " are those , who are trying to establish co2 emissions as sole cause of so called global warming without taking into account sun spot activity.

And who precisely would that be? Actual accredited scientists, not door-to-door college kids canvassing for Greenpeace.

Actually, climate scientists have looked closely at a host of other factors that could contribute to the observed climate change to date. Sunspots alone aren't enough to do it, no where close. There's no workable model that can reproduce patterns to date that doesn't account for a significant effect of anthropogenic carbon emissions. (At least, not one I've ever seen. If anyone can point me to a legitimate peer reviewed scientific paper that includes data through the 1990s or later, please let me know. I'd love to read it. Blogs and youtube videos need not apply.) But the worrying thing is, said emissions are just going to keep increasing. We don't need to worry about 2011 being inhospitably warm, but all the workable models agree we are in for some serious changes decades down the line. I have very deliberately avoided saying anything about appropriate policy responses (if any), not just because of the politics rule but because I don't claim to know. Doesn't change the facts, and those who would deny the facts because of the political implications are doing everyone a dis-service, including themselves.

And the basic facts are indisputable. CO2 levels are rising, fact. Fossil fuels are a major source of CO2 (dwarfing volcanoes), fact. The changing isotope ratios of carbon in the atmosphere show the "extra" CO2 is largely from fossil fuels and not other natural sources, fact. (This fact is acknowledged by anthropologists and archeologists dong carbon dating - are they in on the scam? ) Atmospheric CO2 traps long wave radiation, fact. Thus there is more energy in the atmosphere, fact. Overall, temperatures have been increasing, fact. There are little blips, like 1998 was anomalously warm in North America (thanks to El Nino) so it looks like there's a mini-cooling trend, but that's just noise on a long-term pattern. There will be "noise" and not everywhere will be equally affected, or equally fast.

If you read carefully, I have said "AMERICAS"meaning North, Central and South Americas.

No, in the quote you claim predicted Chile (not the earlier four year framing), you said:

nameisego"
Add sender to Contacts
To:
vedic-astrology@yahoogroups.com

Dear friends,

Once again , the planets in the present position indicate that Mother earth is going to pass thro a very sensetive transit from 23rd Feb till March 2nd.

I do not want to repeat about the Natural calamities . I wanted to add that North America on west coast has got something far sinister going on in her under belly.

Japan and Himalayan ranges fall under my scanner.

Hope earth quakes and other events pass off without much destruction.

Tatvam-Asi

UNQOTE

CHILE HAPPENED ON 26TH FEBRUARY IE, WITHIN A WEEK AS PER THE DATES GIVEN.

Now do we call this as postdiction ?

My predictions are far better than seismologists who clealy say that they cannot predict a major tembler even with latest gadgets.

NJA"

North America west coast, Japan, and Himalayas. Chile is none of those.

But I'm done with that. When and where will the next major quake be? And will you factor in freight trains?

I am tired of the sun spot argument. It does not ring true.

Global warming and cooling directly depends upon sun spot activity.
Last 50,000 years plotting of sunspot activity has confirmed this fact.

WHO was plotting sunspot activity before the creation of writing, let alone the development of telescopes??

As per the discredited doco you recommended watching, the global warming conspriacy by Darkin et al., they suggest sunspot activity is increasing.
Are you agreeing with them? If so, I refute your claim with the following:

As supplier of almost all the energy in Earth's climate, the sun has a strong influence on climate. A comparison of sun and climate over the past 1150 years found temperatures closely match solar activity (Usoskin 2005). However, after 1975, temperatures rose while solar activity showed little to no long term trend. This led the study to conclude "during these last 30 years the solar total irradiance, solar UV irradiance and cosmic ray flux has not shown any significant secular trend, so that at least this most recent warming episode must have another source."

In fact, a number of independent measurements of solar activity indicate the sun has shown a slight cooling trend since 1960, over the same period that global temperatures have been warming. Over the last 35 years of global warming, sun and climate have been moving in opposite directions. An analysis of solar trends concluded that the sun has actually contributed a slight cooling influence in recent decades (Lockwood 2008).

From: http://www.skepticalscience.com/solar-activity-sunspots-global-warming.htm

Earth is going through it's normal, natural cycle of heating up then cooling down there is nothing we can do to stop it happening,
Although things we are doing are speeding up the cycles but we won't stop them by any action

Hmmmm..:think:

Does this mean that if you took one hundred freight trains, one hundred cars long (filled with Nagas, Bhuts, Trini Scorps and the like) and ran them along a coastline, they could potentially unleash a devastating tsunami?! :shocked:

Why didn't SPECTRE ever think of this? (Now, Mr. Bond, I shall orbit my cat around you until his gravitational pull creates an uncrontrollable bowel movement! Muahahahahahahah!) ;)

Davetaylor said:
Earth is going through it's normal, natural cycle of heating up then cooling down there is nothing we can do to stop it happening,
Although things we are doing are speeding up the cycles but we won't stop them by any action

[video=youtube;G0HGFSUx2a8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0HGFSUx2a8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

To quote a forgotten episode of the Simpsons (Homer meets Generation X):

'Dude are you being sarcastic?'
'I don't even know anymore.'

I love the fact that our generation has made it so that if we present a point of view that is not acceptable by the mainstream, the response is sarcasm.

Can you imagine what most ancient religious text would read like if they had been written by GenX-ers? ;)

Also, shouldn't 'climate change skeptics' really be called 'Aclimatists'?

Back