• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Disgusted, outraged, I really dont know what to feel

Imagine the exact same situation, but the police officer is an american/european soldier and the bike rider is an iraqi man.

Would those of you who want to lynch the police officer still feel the same way? Why/why not? Be honest!

MrArboc said:
Imagine the exact same situation, but the police officer is an american/european soldier and the bike rider is an iraqi man.

Would those of you who want to lynch the police officer still feel the same way? Why/why not? Be honest!

I know a few Iraqis here and they are good people. My cousin used to date one and a friend of mine is married to one. If the Iraqi, Saudi, Lebanese, Iranian, whatever was here, they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Most are here for their version of the "American Dream." You always hear about the 3 bad Muslims/Arabs, not the millions of good ones that are here. Maybe I would feel differently if we are talking in Iraq where there are bombs going off everyday and pretty much everyone there wants you gone.

As far as this story goes, I feel for the officers that are out there. My uncle is a cop, and a couple of my friends at work are ex-cops and I have heard stories of their bad days. It is a dangerous job. It is amazing what people will do to avoid a ticket.:crazy: They have to make split second decisions that can mean life or death. Now having said that, I do not see anything in that video that justifies that shooting. I didn't see a flinch or fast movement that would resemble a threat. What I saw looked like a guy who turned just a little when someone yelled at him. No fast, threating movement IMO. I wasn't there, don't know everything that happened and didn't even read the whole article, just watched the video, but if I was on the jury and that was the only piece of evidence I saw.......I would convict. It's a shame really, because I don't believe the officer went out intending to shoot someone, just made a very bad decision.

jacob

arboc, in response to your question, I would feel the same way. What I see s how myy opinion is based and regardless of ethnicity, the shooter was wrong. It was simply unjustified. I play soccer with a lot of middle easterners and can tell you every single one I have met in person would give you the shirt off their back if you were in need.

nubster said:
Since you were there and saw the whole thing go down....please tell us your perspective.

And I suppose your perspective was perfect? My opinion is just as valid as anyone else. The kid on the bike stopped just like he was suppose to. He was sitting in a very relaxed position and just watched his buddy almost crash and burn. He may not have even heard the cop. It appears the cop had one thing on his mind on how he was going to react to any movement by the kid. He didn't have to shoot him.

People saying "from the policeman's point of view" like the video is what he's seeing. Or they think they can tell where the cop is and what he can see from the video. Nobody here knows what the cop could and couldn't see.

I'm not a cop hater. I've walked a post with a weapon and have been trained to act and react to certain situations. I retired from the Air Force 10 years ago.

Now Mr nubster just exactly what did I say that implies I was there and seen the whole thing go down? Did you challenge every other individual who's opinion didn't match yours? Or was I just the lucky one? Keep your smartass remarks to yourself.

When I first read this thread I tended to putting that cop in jail forever. But reading it completely I recognized that I have to compare the situation with physician's malpractice cases. A police officer and a doctor frequently have to make decisions in fractions of a second. And the lawyers and judges and jury members and experts and the puplic and the media have weeks, months or even years to discuss the situation from every possible point of view. It's just not fair.

Armadillo said:
When I first read this thread I tended to putting that cop in jail forever. But reading it completely I recognized that I have to compare the situation with physician's malpractice cases. A police officer and a doctor frequently have to make decisions in fractions of a second. And the lawyers and judges and jury members and experts and the puplic and the media have weeks, months or even years to discuss the situation from every possible point of view. It's just not fair.

Which is why I don't necessarily agree with 11 years in prison, although I do not believe it was a justifiable shoot. I just don't believe the cop got out of his car with the intent to shoot the kid, just made a very bad decision. The kid barely moved and the cop freaked out. Cop probably just saw something that wasn't there, or reacted to the small movement that was probably just the kid turning toward the person yelling at him.

jacob

Im a military police officer. I ride Harleys. I have been in a 45 minute stand off in a kitchen with an armed, intoxicated suspect that was threatening to take his life. three kids in the house, Me, my partner, and a K9 unit, 45 straight minutes of weapons drawn, mad dog snarling, arguing and removing said kids, screaming and negotiating ended in the guy living to tell about it injury free.

Point being, It looks like that officer, (and I say LOOKS LIKE because I wasnt there)who took an oath to protect and serve the people, was more concerned about being an angry power freak than being a good officer. He could have given it 5 seconds to see what was really going on. I have a healthy fear of death and believe that self preservation is very important but possessing the ability and training to asses a situation and making an educated decision WHEN YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO ie; not staring down the barrel of a gun, is a very important skill in Law Enforcement. I don't think he should be punished legaly but I don't think he should be allowed to handle weapons ever again. Poor decision making skills. IMHO

i was waiting for a conclusion to this story, and apparently it happened 10 days ago:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=7441887

TOLEDO, OH (WTVG) -- After several hours of deliberating, the jury has found Officer White guilty of felonious assault with a gun specification. He could face up to 11 years.

At around 8 pm on Friday, 13abc learned White was found guilty. That morning, the prosecutor and defense attorney gave closing arguments. Prosecutors say Officer Thomas White failed to protect and serve when he shot Michael McCloskey Junior in the back and paralyzed him. The jury had to decide if Officer White was justified in the shooting.

The defense argued Officer White believed McCloskey had a gun and feared for his life. Prosecutor Jeff Lingo says, "Officer White rushed to judgment, shot, critically injured, permanently disabled McCloskey for traffic violations."

White's attorney Jerome Phillips says, "You don't get a time out and go and tap the individual on the shoulder and say before we enter the next phase, the dangerous phase, where I'm going to have my gun out, and let's talk about this and see what's going on."

LGHT said:
Although I can see how the cop would see the guy as a possible threat and that he did reach toward his waist and because it was dark could have had a gun, but what I don't understand is even if he did there is NO way you can turn your right hand backward and actually shoot the gun. I mean think about it turn your back toward someone while sitting in a chair and see if you can pull out a pen from your pocket and point it at the person behind you. Even IF he could have shot the gun all cop cars have bullet proof glass and I'm not sure, but I believe the doors also have bullet proof protection. I mean seriously if you thought you life was in danger why not just get in the car and run the guy over? Why not just sit until the guy gets on the ground when you feel your safe. Why not do anything except pull the trigger?? The problem here is the cop had a LOT of other possible options, but for whatever reason he thought it was best to jump out and shoot. I would chalk it up to piss poor training and bad decision making on the cops part because the incident clearly could have been avoided and handled a LOT better.

+1 I agree, I think the point is why did the cop jumped out and pointed the gun at him in the first place for a traffic violation??? I dont know about you guys but I dont think its common practice to have a gun pointed at you when your pulled over for speeding. its not like they were chasing the guy cause he just robbed a liquor store. the cop was profiling him because he was a biker so the problem started before the cop even put his lights on, think about it the cop was following these guys for no reason and had fully intended to fuck with them as edvident as shown at how quickly the other cop car was on scene, ya know why he got there so quickly? because the asshole shooter cop already called for backup before the bikers even broke the law which means he was going to mess with them regardless. the cop was basically out looking for a fight and had himself all pump up before he got out of the car which lead to him being trigger happy. there was no probable cause for the cop to point a gun at the guy other then the guy was a biker which is totally bullshit, pointing a gun at anyone for speeding is ridiculous, if the cop had to take the extra split second to draw his gun instead of already having his finger on the trigger, then this might not have went down like it did.

MrArboc said:

Deleted Reply

actually I think I wont feed the trolls today ..;)

Back