• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

DiY EBB/FLOW

Toleman said:
wow thats amazing growth. Keep it up.

I'm sick of this compost growing... Hydro is so much easier and faster in every respect.

Chris
Thanks,Next week some time they will be going under the 400w hps:onfire:

What happens when they get too cramped Noodles?

Hi mike,

I only have one hydro grow under my belt but I have defiantly learnt a lot. With me using rain water my ph stays in check easily and requires little adjustment. I also love the fact that they respond so quickly and you can't over water them easily.

With regards to things failing:
My nft system is going to have an air stone in the reservoir so once the roots have grown down into the tank - they will survive if one of the pumps (water or air) fail. It will act as a dwc if the water pump fails and the solution just wont get mixed if the air does.

Now my drip system - The tray tends to keep a tad of water on due to the lip of the outlet fitting. I have also considered drilling my holes in the pots 1" above the bottom so the pot will store a small amount of water - kind of like the dutch pots.

With me checking them every evening there shoudn't be a problem of them drying up.

Chris

In my experience, one of the most important benefits of hydro is the lack of pathogens/bugs that come with soil, even sterilized soil after a couple of weeks.

What happens when they get too cramped Noodles?

Well the basil will most likely get moved to the aeroponics system or picked for good,since i won't need 5 plants.So the ebb/flow will only have the 3 pepper plants and 1 basil in it.:lol:

Update-Well the plants are still under the cfl's there doing great i think!!.Change the reservoir 0n 1/5/10.
Nutrients=pure blend pro grow(3-1.5-4)+Cal-mag plus
ph=6.4
ppm=632
NEW pic's;)
dsc03158g.jpg

dsc03159m.jpg

Trinidad Scorpions

ZanderSpice said:
Looking good. Those Trinidad Scorpions will be HUGE before you know it. Are they going outside eventually?
No not these but im sure i well be taking cuttings from these to go out side:lol:

They are taking off now. I'm sure if the basil wasn't in there you could up the dose to get faster growth.

How many floods you doing per day now? I Can see a small amount of water stays in the bottom due to the inlet/outlet sits proud of the tub so this should keep them going for a while.

Much root growth exposed? Them scorps look lovely and healthy.

Chris

Well it's a update!!!!!

Harvested 3 basil plants down to 2.Changed the reservoir today;)and there still under the cfl's all in all every thing look's good.
PH-6.3
PPM-690

Nutrients- pure blend pro grow,cal-mag and Liquid karma:shocked:
Much root growth exposed?
119102.jpg

Toasty,

I try to top basil as soon as I know it is well established and growing well. This helps it develop more branches with more leaves. Plus, once the leaves get a decent size, I cut them off.

But a caveat - I was raising plants so I could sell leaves to a restaurant. From the middle of summer on, I was trimming the plants at least once a week (and cutting buds off twice a week so they didn't go to seed!).

Mike

I don't really use much basil, so two plants should be more then i need any how.It seem's to grow fast and was taking up to much room in the ebb/flow.More room for the peppers!!!

I agree. Looking at the plants leaves they look perfect. Not over fertilised nor under. You making me excited about getting mine going.

Chris

Back