• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Douglah Cappy 2010

Awesome looking label Cap!!! can I buy a few to stick on stuff around the house ;) ya know like my beer fridge in the garage , my truck my guitar the kids skateboard etc.... lol

Thanks S_S I bought several hundred BS labels, here are the first 10 woozies ever with my label on them, the sauce is pepper mash that was aged over 6 months. Last night I put a label on my beer my I was using and then ran it thru the dishwasher and this is what it looks like today. The labels are glossy vinly and even nicer than I first imagined, also put one on the wife's car. I can always order more so in any sauce order you may added an extra labels. Bottling a medium size run this weekend in a commercial kitchen and cannot wait to see all the finished woozies. Here is the first peek and some of the peppers used in the Brain Strain hot sauce. :mouthonfire: :hotsauce:
IMG_4718.jpg

IMG_4717.jpg

IMG_4716.jpg

IMG_4715.jpg

IMG_4714.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

The woozies cam out looking pretty good Cappy congrats. Looks like you're real close to going pro with this sauce thing. Can you describe the flavor/heat of the sauce for us?

How would a person get in line to get a bottle of this magic elixir?

Best of luck with it.

The batch above is my personal and feremeted in a milk jug so is not for sale, but I have crocks full of mash and more fresh peppers that are being used over weekend and will have at least 100 woozies available next week. The Brain Strain Sauce is all natural no preservatives and very shelf stable until opened, just fresh peppers and salt and let age for at least 6 weeks then cook and add just a splah of vinegar and emulsify. Each batch does have slight differences in taste as the mix of peppers change and time of year but overall very smooth and tasty first bite then the heat just keep building and you cannot stop. Not like a freshly made sauce where it's all burn, you really get to enjoy the pepper flavor in your food. Will let you know when they're available patrick, glad you changed your mind on the labels. :P

That sauce looks very intriguing. Is there a thread on this forum that sort of explains in a rudimentary way how to go about making a fermented/aged pepper sauce.

I'm not quite at that level now, but in time it looks like a very interesting method of hot pepper sauce preparation.

Great work there, Cappy!

Cheers,

Doug
dvg

Here you go Doug there are several here on THP just search pepper mash also another from Bob Hurt. :fire:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18451-jacobs-pepper-mash/page__p__391074__hl__%2Bpepper+%2Bmash__fromsearch__1#entry391074
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18068-fermented-pepper-mash/
http://bobhurt.com/articles/recipe%20-%20Jugito%20Pepper%20Mash%20and%20Hot%20Sauce.pdf

Thanks for the links Cappy.

I'm not at all familiar with this type of procedure, so it will definitely make for some interesting reading.

And I'll no doubt learn a lot!

Thanks again,

Doug
dvg

The Brain Strain hot sauce is available, check in the marketplace under sauces/salsas. Here is a shot of the pods that are still ripening off my plants, all picked this am. Lots of pods still hanging on the plants waiting to turn just seems to take a lot longer this late in the year. The hot sauce was fun but I think I'm coming back to sell pods only next year, I don't know why it is but pods sell easily with out much effort. I think my sales will pick up when the pods are no longer available in the northern hemisphere for 6 more months. Still no temps. below 50F yet this year so pods could last another month maybe. :D
IMG_4731.jpg

Great looking harvest Cappy.

That bottle of sauce looks pretty damn good sitting there too. May have a new screen saver if you don't mind.

Best of luck to you with all your endeavors.

I'm thinking of giving that fermentation thing a go on a small scale if I can get one more round of fresh pods out of my plants. What have I got to lose? Thanks for showing your fermenting process, that's what got me starting thinking about it.

Fine lookin' pods Cappy.

How many BS plants do you think it would take to be able to fill that fermenting crock of yours with one harvest during peak season?

It takes several harvests all stored in the freezer before I ever have enough mixed pods to fill up my crock, about 6 weeks worth of harvests. The Brain Strain is not a high yeilding plant so I'd say it would take a plot of land at least 1/4 acre to fill the crock with just one harvest. I need to find some farmland or somebody to farm my seeds out to next year, that would be real nice of you SS.

Thanks patrick, making pepper mash is very simple, start small and work up to larger batches to get the process down first. That is how I started using the left over pods at the end of the season.

It takes an unbelievable amount of peppers all chopped up to fill up the crock S_S, much more than people here realize. I would say it takes 8 or 9 zip-lock gallon bags filled with frozen peppers to get close to filling this thing up.

I didn't realize chopping reduced volume by that much. I think I'll stick with a gallon container to start and see how it goes this winter with the bags I've been stashing in the freezer these past few harvests.

Hey there Cappy, I am a newbie this year and had a chance to try the "Brain Strain" today. Sorry, but no vid. It was from a plate of pods I got in the marketplace. I have to say..... WONDERFUL!! Good flavor and DEFINATELY the coolest looking pod on this forum! I will be planting on a quarter acre next year but I think I need more than one variety. But Imagine a quarter acre.... rows four feet apart.... and spaced every two feet. That would be about what? 1250 plants or so?? At least that is what I am thinking. So that would take seed from 5 or more full podded plants based on the minimal number of seeds in the specimen I tried.

I want to also chime in on the price of your sauce. FABULOUS!! Charge what you want! I recently went to a kitchenware expo where they were selling sauces and powders, spices, salsas and queso, along with every damn kitchen tool you can think of. I find that yours may be in the upper end of the scale in price, but is it not also in the upper end of sauces?? I mean, how many people out there actually hace a "Brain Strain" pod source to make this? I definately don't want to offend ANYONE. Anyone can sell whatever they have at whatever price it will bring.

Great job with the label and the beautiful pods!!

Yup picked a bunch more pods this morning big flush afetr the rain the past couple days and now sunshine and cooler temps. Nothing going below 40F this weekend so all the plants should be fine till it warms back up again next week. I am selling most of these pods of the table as my freezer and my crock is already full, look in the marketplace for details. Filling the freezer quickly and preparing to overwinter just a few prize plants is all, starting again from seed is much easier. Alright here are some pics of the harvest have a great weekend and thanks for looking. :mouthonfire:
IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4745.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

Back