• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2014 Grow Log

It’s time for the 2014 Chile Pepper Grow Log!  This year, I’ve decided to go with the “normal” F1 Superchiles.  It has been a ton of fun growing from my own saved Superchile seeds year after year, but last season I had too many “runty” plants that did not produce well.  I’m of course keeping all of my seeds.  I’m also going to sprout a few Aji Cereza’s.  These are from Peter Merle:

http://thehotpepper.com/user/6297-semillas/

It gets interesting starting indoors, as different plants are different heights, but the florescent lights are a fixed height so I have to get creative.  I use drip dray's DVD's Book's Old VHS Tapes and whatever else fits the purpose.

Your plants are growing out nicely. Dragon.

What do you plan to do with all the Superchili pods?

PaulG said:
Your plants are growing out nicely. Dragon.

What do you plan to do with all the Superchili pods?
TY,

I'm going to eat some pods right away, dehydrate the rest to eat throughout the winter, and save a lot of seeds.  I'm hoping that some will cross with one of the two Aji Cereza's—My garden space is small and I'm surprised that I haven't gotten more crosses over the years.  It may however, be hard to tell whether any of next year's pods from the saved Superchile seeds are crosses, because the Superchile (due to the nature of the original purchased F1 seeds) does not always breed true.  I have tons of seeds saved (up to F5) saved from past year's Superchile's, but decided to only grow the original F1 strain this year, because last year's Superchile crop wasn't great as some of the plants were too runty and crappy producers.  With the new seed stock and my earlier (2-3 weeks earlier than I normally plant out - I'm glad the weather permitted this) plant out, I'm hoping for an awesome crop this year!

I haven't updated the grog in a while.  I'll be catching up chronologically over the next few days:

Back