• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Empanadas...

I'd like to dedicate this appetizer recipe to a good Argentine friend of mine, Ruben whose recovering from a 5-way heart by-pass. He spent a good part of his life traveling with his band (drummer) from one country to the next. ........ here's my take on the dish probably similar to one that's made from a South American region

Ingredients: Mint, Cilantro, Oregano, Culantro, Italian Parsley, Lime Leaves, Garlic, Onion, Shallot, Scallions, Jamaican Red Hab, Aji Venezolano Pepper, Eggs, Flour, Flour, Cream, Pepper, Salt, Ground Beef (85/15) Sunflower Oil, Olive Oil, Cumin, Golden Raisens, Paprika, Spanish Olives.

Blend the 1/2 cup of each Mint, Cilantro, Oregano, Italian Parsley, Culantro,  ,...Lime Leaves (3), Scallions (green parts only)  4 chopped green Aji Peppers along with 2 tbls of water. While blender is running drizzle in Olive Oil to a loose but blended sauce forms. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Set aside. ...Meanwhile, hard boil eggs...when cooled down, peel and chop. Set aside.

Brown the Ground Beef  (2lbs) in 2 tbls of Sunflower Oil, add  1 chopped onion, 6 minced Garlic Cloves,5 Red Habaneros, 2 tbl Cumin, 1 tbl Paprika, When the meat is browned remove pan from heat  Stir in Hard Boiled Eggs, 1/2  c of Golden Raisens,  1/2 c chopped Olives. Set aside

In a mixer cream 1 stick of unsalted Butter and 8oz Cream Cheese. Fold in and gradually mix 1.5 c Flour, 1 tsp Baking Soda, 1 tbl Sugar,  Remove dough when clumped together. Knead to combine and flatten into disc.

Place dough in the fridge for at least 30 min. ( I made 2 discs total).

The dough was removed from the fridge and rolled out to about 1/8" thick piece. I used a 4" cutting disc, then placed each piece in a tortilla press to get a thin uniform piece. A smell scoop was used for the filling and a brush of a beaten Egg was brushed on half the dough. Fold dough over and pinch/fold the edges. Fire up oven to 350. Brush tops of Empanadas with a mix of beated Egg and Cream.

Bake for 12 to 15 min.   ...(I should have used a regular size sheet pan)....over sized pans have there purpose, but even with a convection running its difficult to get an even bake with the lack of overall air circ.

The plating....Beef Empanadas with a slurry of Chimichurri............hmm..........where's the Malbec ?

Ricas empanadas de carne!!!  :party:

Here in my place (Argentina) we eat lots of empanadas, you can put inside whatever, but the more comun are: 1) meat (like yours but less products, just meat, onion, bell pepper, an sometimes olives or eggs or dryed grape), 2) cheese and ham, and 3) boiled green vegetables (spinach).
I love ones that I buy in a place here called "La Baskita", with roquefort cheese, nuts, ham, and more cheeeeesseeeee  :drooling:

We had lunch here today pies!

2014-02-21%252010.40.24.jpg

stuffed with meat or ham and cheese

2014-02-21%252014.05.15.jpg

I really like the combination with this hot sauce.

2014-02-21%252014.10.26.jpg

Really? Aussie meat pies I've had are round... like pot pies... with no actual pot on the bottom, all encased. After you remove the tin. That's how they serve them.

The Hot Pepper said:
Really? Aussie meat pies I've had are round... like pot pies... with no actual pot on the bottom, all encased. After you remove the tin. That's how they serve them.
It was in Aussie in MX, what can I say....

I can see this thread moving into Spanglish muy rapido.

I'll kick it off with... yo vivio en Miami para dieciocho años, then I moved to Phoenix para once años... then it was back to Miami.

I buy mierda from 7-Eleven all the time, and then go back to mi casa and then excla "ño! I should have said this!"

jajaja, fun times.

Soy gringo excepcional.

SumOfMyBits said:
I can see this thread moving into Spanglish muy rapido.

I'll kick it off with... yo vivio en Miami pero dieciocho años, then I moved to Phoenix pero once años... then it was back to Miami.

I buy mierda from 7-Eleven all the time, and then go back to mi casa and then excla "ño! I should have said this!"

jajaja, fun times.

Soy gringo excepcional.

Nombe'.

Tu eres boracho.

Chingao.

Damn.

I'll take that whole box to go por favor.

What's the meat?

Looks like machaca but chunkier and not dry.

Doesn't matter.

It looks so dang guud it could be carnitas del raton' and I'd eat it.

And excuse me for doing so but I'd probably splooge on some lime crema on those.

Yo tengo hambre ahora que la chingada!

TB meat is beef. Hand cut into small cubes and is called "cut with a knife." 

Thereby identifying those made from ground beef. They cut knife are much more flavorful than ground beef. 

The empanadas filling recipe is very simple, if you like, I will write it. 

Combines well with lemon (as Arabs pies), also spicy salsa, also sour cream cheese. But this must be added later, while eating

AMAZING!

I like baked and fried. Both have to be done right. Sometimes baked is doughy. Sometimes fried gets that greasy bubbly exterior that breaks down. Looks like you did both PERFECTLY!! Know how I can tell? Those letters from the crimper are intact on the fried! :lol: That frying looks like golden perfection.

WOW! And they look overstuffed, and stuffed to the edge, and still held up.

GIMME!

Back