• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Empanadas...

I'd like to dedicate this appetizer recipe to a good Argentine friend of mine, Ruben whose recovering from a 5-way heart by-pass. He spent a good part of his life traveling with his band (drummer) from one country to the next. ........ here's my take on the dish probably similar to one that's made from a South American region

Ingredients: Mint, Cilantro, Oregano, Culantro, Italian Parsley, Lime Leaves, Garlic, Onion, Shallot, Scallions, Jamaican Red Hab, Aji Venezolano Pepper, Eggs, Flour, Flour, Cream, Pepper, Salt, Ground Beef (85/15) Sunflower Oil, Olive Oil, Cumin, Golden Raisens, Paprika, Spanish Olives.

Blend the 1/2 cup of each Mint, Cilantro, Oregano, Italian Parsley, Culantro,  ,...Lime Leaves (3), Scallions (green parts only)  4 chopped green Aji Peppers along with 2 tbls of water. While blender is running drizzle in Olive Oil to a loose but blended sauce forms. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Set aside. ...Meanwhile, hard boil eggs...when cooled down, peel and chop. Set aside.

Brown the Ground Beef  (2lbs) in 2 tbls of Sunflower Oil, add  1 chopped onion, 6 minced Garlic Cloves,5 Red Habaneros, 2 tbl Cumin, 1 tbl Paprika, When the meat is browned remove pan from heat  Stir in Hard Boiled Eggs, 1/2  c of Golden Raisens,  1/2 c chopped Olives. Set aside

In a mixer cream 1 stick of unsalted Butter and 8oz Cream Cheese. Fold in and gradually mix 1.5 c Flour, 1 tsp Baking Soda, 1 tbl Sugar,  Remove dough when clumped together. Knead to combine and flatten into disc.

Place dough in the fridge for at least 30 min. ( I made 2 discs total).

The dough was removed from the fridge and rolled out to about 1/8" thick piece. I used a 4" cutting disc, then placed each piece in a tortilla press to get a thin uniform piece. A smell scoop was used for the filling and a brush of a beaten Egg was brushed on half the dough. Fold dough over and pinch/fold the edges. Fire up oven to 350. Brush tops of Empanadas with a mix of beated Egg and Cream.

Bake for 12 to 15 min.   ...(I should have used a regular size sheet pan)....over sized pans have there purpose, but even with a convection running its difficult to get an even bake with the lack of overall air circ.

The plating....Beef Empanadas with a slurry of Chimichurri............hmm..........where's the Malbec ?

Ground chuck, onion, sun-dried tomato, raisons, Pequin powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, tomato puree, cilantro on rolled puff pastry:
DSC_0553.JPG

Add some cheese:
DSC_0556.JPG

Button it up:
DSC_0558.JPG

Voila':
DSC_0562.JPG

Very happy with the results!  Thanks for looking.

TJP

Friend. Excellent initiative by making a empanadas. My congratulations for the effort and your cake looks delicious !!!

But let me tell you that this is far from a empanadas.

Give me a few days and I'll show you how to make reality empanadas!

cypresshill1973 said:
Friend. Excellent initiative by making a empanadas. My congratulations for the effort and your cake looks delicious !!! But let me tell you that this is far from a empanadas. Give me a few days and I'll show you how to make reality empanadas!
I knew that was coming, this is more like an meat pocket...btw which I love!

cypresshill1973 said:
Friend. Excellent initiative by making a empanadas. My congratulations for the effort and your cake looks delicious !!! But let me tell you that this is far from a empanadas. Give me a few days and I'll show you how to make reality empanadas!
In particular, I'd like to see what you do for the pastry portion of the empanada.  In Louisiana, we have Natchitoches meat pies which are fried. We got them from the Spanish influence obviously.  But now they're Cajun. :)

hot stuff said:
In particular, I'd like to see what you do for the pastry portion of the empanada.  In Louisiana, we have Natchitoches meat pies which are fried. We got them from the Spanish influence obviously.  But now they're Cajun. :)
His will be shaped like a moon with forked pinched edges. I learned a terrible lesson eating my first one in South America...they leave olive pits in the olives!

Nice color..........and I bet the puff made for a tasty treat. 

Folding a rectangle into a triangle is called a Turnover.......or some refer it to a meat pie.
Heck...I just refer to Empanadas as mini Calzones........ :D 

hot stuff said:

This week we'll do empanadas and will show you how to become truly!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
His will be shaped like a moon with forked pinched edges. I learned a terrible lesson eating my first one in South America...they leave olive pits in the olives!

I do not let the olive pit ... And never have eaten that way.

cypresshill1973 said:

I am glad you are not like many on the west coast. In Peru and Chile I had them with olive pits :) All I had in Argentina was expensive hamburgers :) 

cypresshill1973 said:

I have been staying away from "real" Empanadas since I get SO pissed at dough (no tolerance) the canned pastry dough made it look easy enough for me. If you do post yours include recipe

sicman said:
no taco sauce =fail :mope:

i would have drizzled that liquid gold all over that folded treat of beef.

Taco sauce goes well with empanadas

LUCKYDOG said:
I have been staying away from "real" Empanadas since I get SO pissed at dough (no tolerance) the canned pastry dough made it look easy enough for me. If you do post yours include recipe

Consider it done. Show you step by step and the list of ingredients!

Back