• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Er jing tiao

Round 2. Probably should’ve used a seed start mix but this will have to do. Really just testing the viability of the seeds anyways. Seller stated I should receive 50 seeds and that was a lie, there is 40 here plus the 3 I already sowed, that’s not 50 guys😝 In case something does germinate I want to have more seeds to start closer to the season, so only planting half (20). Wish me luck..
E7F00E67-CE88-44FE-9F26-712440FF9CAF.jpeg

@Grass Snake i woudn't throw everything away yet, but i would certainly sow a lot more than you did.

I purchased some violet sparkle (bell type) seeds of ebay last year (crappy idea i know but anyway). My first round of germination never took off.

I ended up sowing everything (20-30 seeds approx) in january. I had 3-4 total that germinated over a month later. All where severely helmetted and i managed to save only one seedling, wich was severely stunted and took months to grow a few leaves. It finally had some ok growth this summer.

11 months after sowing, i now have 2 pods turning red on it. I hope the fresh seeds i plan on harvesting will have better germination rates and give healthy plants. This is what it looks like

16680909278385212798103236184320.jpg

Morale is, you can definitely salvage a variety you want out of a crappy seed stock, but doing so may require a lot of patience and efforts.

Last edited:
Round 2. Probably should’ve used a seed start mix but this will have to do. Really just testing the viability of the seeds anyways. Seller stated I should receive 50 seeds and that was a lie, there is 40 here plus the 3 I already sowed, that’s not 50 guys😝 In case something does germinate I want to have more seeds to start closer to the season, so only planting half (20). Wish me luck..
E7F00E67-CE88-44FE-9F26-712440FF9CAF.jpeg
Update: Still nothing so I threw in the rest of the seeds. Maybe 1 will sprout but It doesn't look promising at this time.

Last edited:
Massive necro, but did any seeds germinate of the pods from mala market?

I'm curious as well @Siv. Did you have any luck?

I've been considering putting in an order here because I haven't found seeds in which I've been confident, but I'm not particularly confident in the viability from some of these dried pods, either :(

Sorry guys, I've been MIA for a while and just saw a fresh notification on this thread. As an update, I put in about 100 seeds on a paper towel and didn't get a single germination. Looks like @CaneDog had better luck!

I was rummaging around my seed stash and found these from (I think) an eBay vendor I bought and forgot about. I'll have to give these a go.

IMG_3254.jpeg

Despite that my environmental conditions (and attention to the grow) weren't the greatest early on, it looks like I'll finally have ripe peppers and isolated seeds from the two er jing taio plants I grew out. I took this photo last weekend and now all the peppers are red. I figure I'll give them another few days to a week before I harvest them just to be sure they've had plenty of time to mature.

The sprouts that sprouted and the two plants I grew out all looked very similar to one another, so I'm reasonably confident I have true seeds. I suppose that will remain to be confirmed over the next couple seasons, though. I'm looking forward to growing a couple of these outside now to see how productive they can be with better conditions and more suitable space.
2023-02-20 ETJ.jpg

Last edited:
Despite that my environmental conditions (and attention to the grow) weren't the greatest early on, it looks like I'll finally have ripe peppers and isolated seeds from the two er jing taio plants I grew out. I took this photo last weekend and now all the peppers are red. I figure I'll give them another few days to a week before I harvest them just to be sure they've had plenty of time to mature

Starting from 8 Oct, that's not too bad - considering it's out of season. Congratulations 👍 Let's hope they are chockfull of viable seeds 🙂

Starting from 8 Oct, that's not too bad - considering it's out of season. Congratulations 👍 Let's hope they are chockfull of viable seeds 🙂
Thanks, they moved along quickly. It doesn't seem to take long for them to root in and get to business in those small containers. I'm hoping for enough good seeds to make them available to others, which currently seems promising.

:clap:

Well done CD!
Thanks, DR! Always good when the plan comes together.

Just a quick update that I've harvested isolated seeds from the 2 smaller EJT plants I grew indoors this off-season. For anyone who attempted to grow EJT in this thread - I'm looking at you @Siv , @Sinn , and @Grass Snake - if you want some seeds, let me know.

I'm also happy to share with others who posted in this thread and would like some seeds, subject to stock-in-hand. International is fine as long as shipping is relatively simple - typically, I send them regular mail with a global forever stamp. Just let me know.

I'll try to keep this offer open for a while, but I have a limited amount of seeds from this first batch and they'll go only so far.

I'd like some as well please CD, only if it isn't too much hassle sending to France.
Course if it's better economically, send mine to Rata or hers to me and we'll pass them to each other.

Last edited:
Back