Etsy.com type service for Hot Sauce / Salsa ???

Had a thought for creating an internet service.  I could put up an Etsy.com like service for Hot Sauce / Salsa makers.  Etsy.com is a shopping mall of sorts.  You join, you get an online store.  People can then search all the online stores, go from one to the next but each store is independently operated.  They charge a percentage, but I am thinking of doing it as a symbiotic relationship. 

I grow peppers, I dont really sell hot sauce or salsa. Many sauce makers do not grow peppers.  So I was figuring on having the store free but asking please consider buying my peppers.  Maybe a logo on the stores that promotes my peppers.

If you think it is a good idea and would be interested in testing as I build it, tell me which domain you think would be best:

HotPepperJuice.com - Own it, not doing anything with it.
HotSauceByMail.com - Own it, parked a Amazon affiliate store on it but could move the affiliate store for this project.

I enjoy symbiotic / non contractual relationships.  Like when I flipped my tractor, my neighbor saw it and came to help just cause... well that is the neighbor contract.  You see something you can laugh at later, you gotta man up and help.  Otherwise it is just plain rude to laugh later.  So have idea for online service but want to see if there is interest before I dedicate time.  Please me know what you think.

grantmichaels said:
I've never had it, but can't imagine not liking it ...

Am I on my way for liking mayo w/ fries? ...
In holland I loved "war" style. Dollop of Dutch mayo, dollop of peanut sauce. Together they're awesome.

That said, Dutch mayo > USA mayo
The Hot Pepper said:

I didn't say I don't like poutine, never had it. But cottage cheese on cottage fries, in the cottage industry thread... just a joke. Sounds like Poo PooTine to me. Seen someone do it on that stupid show where they steal your ingredients. 
Oh I know - was just joking back.
;)

As for cutthroat kitchen, I love that show. :rofl:

Hot Pepper - Please do not agree with Lucky Dog on Etsy.com and hot sauce.  Doing so -might- effectively says that you think hot sauce makers who sell on Etsy.com are illegally brewing in their own kitchens and that their products are not up to national health code.  If Lucky Dog really wants to spread lies about his competition, fine.  But folk like this are not your competition at all.  They are your customers.

Lucky Dog - Bad mouthing your competition is a popular business strategy these days.  I guess I gotta commend you on having balls.  But to publicly say that hot sauces sold on Etsy.com are made in home kitchens and do not meet national health code laws is probably actionable.

Do you realize that in spreading that lie, you are not just defaming Etsy.com, but Scovie Award winners like Fri-B-Que hot sauce?  Not only are you discouraging potential producers her from using Etsy.com services, an actionable offense right there, you are essentially lying about your Award Winning competitors.

Fri-B-Que Hot Sauce - Maybe you want to go tell these repeated Scovie Award winners that they are breaking the law.
http://www.fribquesauce.com/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FriBQue

You are also effectively spreading rumors about very well established competition.  My collection is at the house, so I can not double check this right now, but I think the Wicked Tickle line from Electric Pepper has been around for many years.  I might be thinking of someone else with the cool bottle tops, but I am fairly sure it is Wicked Tickle by Electric Pepper.

Electric Pepper - Are you saying they must be breaking the law cause they sell on Etsy.com?
http://www.pickyourpepper.com/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PickYourPepper

Evil Seed hot sauce, well they have only been around for a few years.  But it might be a real good idea for you to visit their site.  Take note of the pictures.  Now do you really want to insult that guy?  Look at him.  Damn, looks like me in the summer when I shave my head after accidentally setting it on fire.

Evil Seed Hot Sauce - Are you saying they must be breaking the law cause they sell on Etsy.com?

http://www.evilseedsauces.com/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/EVILSEEDSAUCES

I could go on and on.  In fact i am very good at that.  But for the sake of THP, the forum, the community, and your own legal / financial well being; I think the best thing for you to do at this point is to admit you were wrong from the start, that Etsy.com does not mean brewed in a home kitchen / below national health code.

Seriously guy, I am sure these and the many, many, many other perfectly legal hot sauces / made according to the national health codes who sell on Etsy.com do not want to come here, find you attacking your competitors with lie after lie, and feel all hurt the way I did when you attacked Farmers Market folk.

Now if you want to continue with your lies and the business strategy of bad mouthing your competition, by all means continue.  Nothing i can do about it other than to defend those folk and point to how much you lie.

But I do encourage Hot Pepper to keep an eye on your mouth before you get his site hurt by your constant lies.  It is a nice place.  He seems like a nice guy.  Please dont hurt him or his place.

All I can think about is grilled cheese. I have wonderful options, but I WANT grilled cheese.

I swear I might wake up and run out before I work if it persists overnight ...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423807643.002043.jpg

In holland I loved "war" style. Dollop of Dutch mayo, dollop of peanut sauce. Together they're awesome.

Sounds good to me!

I bought some nice 'toes from the Amish folks today ... could happen.

Hot Pepper, I must be confused because my first post mentioned nothing about home kitchens, cottage industry, or anything to indicate home made other than using the term Etsy.com.  Lucky Dog then went about telling me how home made hot sauce is illegal.  I explained that I was not talking home made / home kitchen, he explained that he was confused because I said Etsy.com like service.

Lucky Dog said: "Pretty sure the topic title says something's about Etsy.com That might be what's causing some confusion. "

Honestly trying to understand, if he did not mean hat Etsy.com meant home made / home kitchen, why did he say that?

But what really confuses me are all the things he said about Cottage Industry and Farmers Market folk.  Someone else brought that up, then you commented on it (maybe the other way around).  I assume you want to encourage farmers market folk as they too are your customers.

Lucky Dog knew we were talking about local state cottage laws, not the Etsy thing anymore.  He quoted me responding to you: "Hot Pepper - Kentucky is a bit more liberal.  Must be farmers market, certified road side stand, or from your own farm."

Lucky Dog replied: "Acidified shelf stable goods must be produced in a certified kitchen in every state."
Lucky Dog said: "There can be no home-made hot sauces. I tried explaining this in the 1st reply."
Lucky Dog said: "And cottage laws apply to hot sauce in zero states."
Lucky Dog said: "The reason none of your links specifically state hot sauce is because IT IS ILLEGAL TO MAKE A HOT PACKED SHELF STABLE ACIDIFIED PRODUCT AT HOME."

So I provided a link to the University to Kentucky class on how to make "hot sauce" to sell at your farm, roadside stands, and farmers markets.
Lucky Dog said: "Hot sauce is NOT legal to produce in any state under cottage law."
Lucky Dog said: "It is illegal to make hot sauce at home and sell It. Anywhere."
Lucky Dog said: "the laws are federal. FDA supersedes state law when it comes to food production. Yes, even in Kentucky."

Remember, all of those statements came after he quoted me and knew the conversation had drifted to the various state exemptions for local sales.

Seems like he is being fairly clear that hot sauces made in home / farm based kitchens and sold at Farmers Markets are illegal.  in fact, depending on the state laws, they are not.  If that is what he is saying, then it seems like he is trashing every home / farm based kitchen microprocessor who is in complete compliance with state laws by saying they are breaking the law.

So yes, I must be missunderstanding something.  Like why this conversation exists.

Lucky Dog, do you think Etsy.com means only hand made / home kitchen?

Lucky Dog, do you think it is illegal for Kentucky microprocessors to sell hot sauce made in their home kitchen at our farmers markets?

If you answer no to both of these, I do not know why this conversation exists.
If you answer yes to either of these, then I do not think I am confused about your opinion.  I just think it is wrong.

Etsy.com hot sauce does not mean it is made in a home kitchen.
KY microprocessors can produce hot sauce for sale at our farmers markets.

Please, where am I wrong on any of this?

Forgot to mention: I called my Kentucky Proud woman.  Kentucky Proud is a brand of sorts that many of us share.  She said they have tons of microprocessors selling hot sauce at our farmers markets.  She directed me to visit Krogers where one of the success stories is sold.  They started as home based microprocessors, then moved to the kitchen at the extension office, and went full commercial despite not even owning a commercial kitchen themselves.

That is why I take issue with all the stuff Lucky Dog is saying about cottage industry hot sauce being illegal.  Why should someone who has gotten large enough to be in so many stores in so many states say that cottage industry hot sauce is illegal when in fact it is not? It is wrong and discouraging to folk with a dream.

Guy, it is your site.  If you want people here saying things like this and nobody to tell them they are wrong.  OK, I will leave it alone.  Just seems counter productive to let someone say that people are breaking laws when they are not.

I have to say, of all the features on THP the one I like the most is the "ignore" feature.

For one, its shrunk the topic by at least 3 pages, and for two, it's turned this utter clusterfuck of a troll fest into a delightful topic about poutine & Dutch mayonnaise & French fries. Er, freedom fries?

Yay!
D3monic said:
THAT is what I'm talking about!

I may go out and get me some Poutine today! There's a new Canadian chain that opened one in Berkeley. Mmmmmmmm, poutine!
D3monic said:

Make sure you get the cheese curd and crap gravy consistency right or the canuks will have a fit and tell you off politely. 
First they'll apologise profusely for what they're about to do. ;)

Husker21 said:
Don't feed the troll poutine.
Trolls love poutine.

And duck. Tender, succulent duck. In orange sauce. Mmmmmmmmm, a classic.
10387390_10152993531590340_1244238694884839426_n.jpg

God it looks soooo good. :woohoo:

Better than Poutine even!   :woohoo:

Just for shits and giggles I unhid one post. Wow - what a treasure trove of crazy! 

ajdrew said:
Hot Pepper - Please do not agree with Lucky Dog on Etsy.com and hot sauce.  Doing so -might- effectively says that you think hot sauce makers who sell on Etsy.com are illegally brewing in their own kitchens and that their products are not up to national health code.  If Lucky Dog really wants to spread lies about his competition, fine.  

I didn't. Funny how you can spew 1000 words without once using the quote feature. Didn't you get suspended for this once? pretty sure you did. 

Lucky Dog - Bad mouthing your competition is a popular business strategy these days.  I guess I gotta commend you on having balls.  But to publicly say that hot sauces sold on Etsy.com are made in home kitchens and do not meet national health code laws is probably actionable.

I didn't - maybe if you'd use the quote feature all of this confusion could be avoided huh?  Looking back I can't find a single post where I said anything even resembling that. 

I saw 1 label that I thought was questionable, from none of the companies you just brought up. What a fascinatingly warped brain you have. 

Do you realize that in spreading that lie, you are not just defaming Etsy.com, but Scovie Award winners like Fri-B-Que hot sauce?  Not only are you discouraging potential producers her from using Etsy.com services, an actionable offense right there, you are essentially lying about your Award Winning competitors.

Fri-B-Que Hot Sauce - Maybe you want to go tell these repeated Scovie Award winners that they are breaking the law.
http://www.fribquesauce.com/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FriBQue

OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i AM SO SORRY I - oh, wait. I'm not sorry. because I didn't say a single thing about FriBQue. Not one word. Maybe if you used the quote feature you could actually, you know, quote me "defaming" this brand. 

You are also effectively spreading rumors about very well established competition.  My collection is at the house, so I can not double check this right now, but I think the Wicked Tickle line from Electric Pepper has been around for many years.  I might be thinking of someone else with the cool bottle tops, but I am fairly sure it is Wicked Tickle by Electric Pepper.

Electric Pepper - Are you saying they must be breaking the law cause they sell on Etsy.com?
http://www.pickyourpepper.com/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PickYourPepper
I don't know, am I?  Maybe with a little reading comprehension and a basic understanding of using the quote feature you could actually answer your own question. Let's see....looking back over all my posts in here and, nope! I am not saying that. I didn't say that. And you can't quote me saying that. In fact I never once mentioned pickyourpepper or any other company.

Lookit that, no anti-defamation lawsuit against me - whew!  You had me really worried for a minute there!  :rofl:

Evil Seed hot sauce, well they have only been around for a few years.  But it might be a real good idea for you to visit their site.  Take note of the pictures.  Now do you really want to insult that guy?  Look at him.  Damn, looks like me in the summer when I shave my head after accidentally setting it on fire.

Evil Seed Hot Sauce - Are you saying they must be breaking the law cause they sell on Etsy.com?

http://www.evilseedsauces.com/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/EVILSEEDSAUCES

I don't know, am I?  Maybe with a little reading comprehension and a basic understanding of using the quote feature you could actually answer your own question. Let's see....looking back over all my posts in here and, nope! I am not saying that. I didn't say that. And you can't quote me saying that. Not a single mention of Evil Seed. Whew!  Lookit that, no anti-defamation lawsuit against me from Evil Seed either - whew!  You had me really worried for a minute there!  :rofl:

I could go on and on.  In fact i am very good at that.  
Sadly for this community, that is the only thing you're good at.
:rolleyes:

But for the sake of THP, the forum, the community, and your own legal / financial well being; I think the best thing for you to do at this point is to admit you were wrong from the start, that Etsy.com does not mean brewed in a home kitchen / below national health code.

Gee whiz, when you put it that way it changes everything!  All you'll have to do is please quote me saying "Etsy.com means brewed in a home kitchen / below national health code" and I'll be happy to retract.  I'll wait. 

Seriously guy, I am sure these and the many, many, many other perfectly legal hot sauces / made according to the national health codes who sell on Etsy.com do not want to come here, find you attacking your competitors with lie after lie, and feel all hurt the way I did when you attacked Farmers Market folk.

Fascinating how you can't quote me saying any of this - because you made it all up.     :rofl: And FYI shit for brains, I work 7 farmers markets a week. I AM farmers market folk. I am so bent on attacking people that I attacked myself! EEK!  :rofl:

Now if you want to continue with your lies and the business strategy of bad mouthing your competition, by all means continue.  Nothing i can do about it other than to defend those folk and point to how much you lie. But I do encourage Hot Pepper to keep an eye on your mouth before you get his site hurt by your constant lies.  It is a nice place.  He seems like a nice guy.  Please dont hurt him or his place..

There just aren't words for how hilarious I find your posts. I suspect others are correct - you must be a former banned member here only to cause trouble - no one is this insane, idiotic or ridiculous.   :rofl:

Thanks for the laughs, and good job figuring out my "strategy" - that's now my core business philosophy - bad mouthing my competition. Something I've been known for throughout the lands, uhm, never. 
:rolleyes:

Back on ignore you go Mr Troll. 

Ps - I hope you've enjoyed this demonstration of the elusive quote feature

Back on topic, Duck L'Orange is a classic, but living in the SF Bay Area, I'm a big fan of this local delicacy: 

p1000200.jpg

Since I see many companies browsing this topic, I'd like to formally apologize for bad mouthing you all.

Gemeni Crow - I'm sorry. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Wicked Pepper - I'm so sorry
south-park-bp-sorry1.png

Texas Creek - so very sorry
maxresdefault.jpg

To all the other hot sauce companies I've bad mouthed over the years, truly very sorry. 
tumblr_m9k10xhArJ1r1n5eb.jpg

Back