food Everythang' Tex-Mex!

what does eating corn husk's taste like ?

this gringo doesnt understand the corn husk thing, to me corn husks go in the garbage.
dont get me wrong it looked great but just asking questions.

You don't eat them they are the wrappers. It just looks like they are still on because they are molded ;)

thehotpepper.com said:
You don't eat them they are the wrappers. It just looks like they are still on because they are molded ;)

you might be right, but it looks like the corn husks are still there in this pic.

texas blues said:
IMG_1864.jpg

then another question, why boil already cooked/preseasoned meat/rice in water ? wouldnt that leach out some of the spices & then water down the meat ?
just questions cuz I dont understand.

Trust me there's no husks on there. It's like fingerprints on the masa from the corn husks. I'll let TB answer you though since he made them. Maybe he eats husks lol.

chilehunter said:
what does eating corn husk's taste like ?

this gringo doesnt understand the corn husk thing, to me corn husks go in the garbage.
dont get me wrong it looked great but just asking questions.

thehotpepper.com said:

THP is correctamundo! A Tex-Mex variation is to take a casserole dish, layer the bottom with the dough, add the filling, top it with more dough and cover with enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake in the oven like lasagna. Tamale Pie.

Those tamales look really really really really really really good. That is something else that I want to learn how to do this year. You, Sir, are an inspiration!!!!

Mjdtexan said:
Those tamales look really really really really really really good. That is something else that I want to learn how to do this year. You, Sir, are an inspiration!!!!

Dude, they are really easy. They just take time to do because you don't want to make say...just a dozen at a time. Any brand of masa flour will do and they all have good dough recipes right on the bag/box for tamales. One thing I do though is sub either crisco or canola oil for the lard. Another is instead of using water in the masa, I'll save the pork juices (that is if I'm making pork tamales) and use that in lieu of water. I'd also recommend chicken or beef stock over water also. Taste as you go. Too many times I've had tamales that while looked great, were as lame as a one legged dog.

I may do a TexMex thingy today too...have to check with the wife...I may make enchiladas to...

Yup...it's on...wife wants enchiladas...

If you challengin' I'm 'ceptin'....

***but not really meant to be a throwdown***

but it was your idea that made me ask the wife if she wanted enchiladas... ;)

but I bet you a dollar my desert will kick your deserts butt....

AlabamaJack said:
If you challengin' I'm 'ceptin'....

***but not really meant to be a throwdown***

but it was your idea that made me ask the wife if she wanted enchiladas... ;)

but I bet you a dollar my desert will kick your deserts butt....

Hookem' Horns!! AJ.....the eyes of Texas are upon you. Wouldn't do to get beaten by a yankee!!

Begin thine postings or fear the wrath of pounded filet mignon chicken fried steak with chipotle cream sauce! Mayhem to follow later....

Back