• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Everything Fried

Searched for a deep fried thread....there probably is one but I didn't find it. But who doesn't love fried food? So here's my start to the "everything fried" topic. 

Tonkatsu, not to be confused with tonkotsu soup. With a tonkatsu sauce (non fructose heinz ketchup, worcestershire, soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, garlic powder, dijon mustard, hot sauce)

Attachments

• tonkatsu.jpg
    tonkatsu.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,311
There are a few things I purposely freeze in marinade because they taste better frozen then thawed, rather than cooked fresh out of marinade

DID SOMEONE SAY FRIED FOODS?!  Why is this thread, which celebrates the second best type of food after the weber have more pages?

My attempt at Nashville Hot Chicken. I found an epic recipe, but subbed my own special spices. 

6ibgTPv.jpg

dlNmTES.jpg

The naked fried chicken
D3w9l8H.jpg

After saucing
hvlGtVn.jpg

And served.
Xb6cJsy.jpg

Nice, you got that KFC-like craggly skin that I'm trying to replicate. What did you use for batter? Only problem with this chicken is that it's messy as hell to make lol

Some recipes I saw use oil for the sauce, others use butter. Anyone prefer one over the other?

Hells Kitchen said:
Nice, you got that KFC-like craggly skin that I'm trying to replicate. What did you use for batter? Only problem with this chicken is that it's messy as hell to make lol

Some recipes I saw use oil for the sauce, others use butter. Anyone prefer one over the other?

cut chicken into quarters, wings and breasts. do a dry brine with salt and pepper. drench in flour, dip in buttermilk, then back into flour. a trick to get more of those "craggly skin" pieces is to use your hands when you dip, then the stuff that sticks to your hands, rub your hands together to get it off and smash it back onto the chicken. i like to use pork lard for frying. and when i bloom the brown sugar spice mix, i use hot pork lard for sure. vegetable oil is a good substitute if you keep kosher or halal 

BigB said:

cut chicken into quarters, wings and breasts. do a dry brine with salt and pepper. drench in flour, dip in buttermilk, then back into flour. a trick to get more of those "craggly skin" pieces is to use your hands when you dip, then the stuff that sticks to your hands, rub your hands together to get it off and smash it back onto the chicken. i like to use pork lard for frying. and when i bloom the brown sugar spice mix, i use hot pork lard for sure. vegetable oil is a good substitute if you keep kosher or halal 

My grandmother on my dear sweet mothers side made the bestest fried chicken.

Nothing else comes close.

And I've spent all my life trying to replicate it but...

No can.

She was a hungarian chicken frying magic grandma.

But I learned some 'thangs.

I'd let that chicken do the backstroke in buttermilk for 24 hours.

When ready, dredge in seasoned flour.

Then back into the buttermilk.

Double dip it into the flour.

Old school Crisco.

And cast iron.

I don't like catfish.

But it works for that too.

And you'll need a metric shit ton (Official SoFlo Measurement) of tartar sauce....

Hot sauce.

And lemon.

I need to fry somethin'.

BigB said:

Cheers! I know full well the EPIC  masses of gunk that accumulates on your fingers :D  never knew it could be put to good use :D Will try the pork lard next time. On this occasion I did use vegetable oil. 

Hells Kitchen said:
Fish n chips

qSonU2M.jpg

Geez Louise.

What a coinky dinky!

I have been fantasizing all day.

About fish n' chips.

Only on a taco.

That pic makes my tongue harder that penitentiary steel.

With a head on it.

Like a house cat.

Wait...

What in the actual hell?

That's a child's portion of tartar sauce!

I would rock beaucoup way more.

Think cattle trough.

Because the chips are begging for it.

Like a meth head at the Qwiky Stop gas pump at 4am.

That lemon looks juicier than a shampooed water buffalo.

I'ma need another half a lemon like thatern.

Por favor.

And top off that drink while you're at it.

Neat.

My favorite fish is Swai which comes in huge fillets. It's basically a Japanese catfish with great flavor with the perfect moisture content and fluffy texture. My preferred way of cooking this has been with Andy's Cajun Fish fry breading and we just coat the fish extremely well and place 6 fillet in a oiled casserole dish and bake for 12 to 14 minutes at 425°. I prefer to bake fry so that the mixture does not lose any of the intense heat and if you have not tried this, I assure you that you should have a drink on standby because it's very spicy :-) I'm definitely interested in finding or creating a good recipe using fresh produce to bring the heat instead of a pre-bagged mixture but if you like flavor and you like it hot, this stuff is rock 'n' roll in a bag baby!

Back